Considering one of two revolvers. Help me decide.

This is a discussion on Considering one of two revolvers. Help me decide. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been carrying my Walther PPK .380 as my EDC since I got my license a few months ago. It's time to switch things up ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Considering one of two revolvers. Help me decide.

I've been carrying my Walther PPK .380 as my EDC since I got my license a few months ago. It's time to switch things up an bit and add a new weapon to the fold. I'm considering a revolver to see if that might be a favored child in my daily attire. Here's what I've reduced it down to:

1. Smith & Wesson Model 60 snubbie (.38 special +p / .357 magnum) Stainless. Exposed hammer. $668 NIB
    2. Ruger SP101 snubbie (same calibers) Stainless. Exposed hammer. $532 NIB

PRICE: Really isn't a deciding factor because either of these guns will outlast me and will be passed down to my son and will probably last long enough to go to my grandson.

WEIGHT: I believe the S&W is lighter, but not certain on that.

WARRANTY: Heading to the websites to check that now, but wanted to post this before that.

ISSUES: Not aware of any with either gun.

I would love to hear input from any of you who have owned either, or both, of these handguns. Anything you feel like passing along to help in the decision-making. I'm heading to the gunshop tomorrow to check both of them out and see how they look and feel.

Thanks for any info.

Of the two mentioned I'd probably go for the Smith & Wesson Model 60 out of familiarity though the Ruger SP101 is the smoothest Ruger double-action I've tried.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I have always had a preference to S&W revolvers. The Rugers are built heavier, but I don't buy into their being stronger. The Smith has a sort of graceful finess and is more refined in the trigger area, although these days its not by much.

IMO, if you are not going to shoot full house 357 mags, with at least a 3 inch barrel, then one is better served with a 38 spl, which is much more user friendly without giving up much in performance. I define performance not by velocity, but effectiveness, which are not necessarily the same thing.
    Philly Boy and Kilowatt3 like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Anytime someone asks, "Should I buy X or Y", my answer is always YES!

I have an SP101 and really like it. Search it here, there's been a ton of threads. You can't find anyone ever say anything bad about it, and it's built to shoot big loads and last a long time.
    My Smith 686 has simply the best trigger of any gun I own and is a lot of fun, but I don't use it for carry (6" barrel)

Stainless is great for carry. The price on the Ruger seems a tad high. If I have to choose between anything and a Smith, I'm picking Smith. They also hold their value very well.

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    The S&W model 60 has been my primary carry weapon for a few years. Hard to beat it in my book
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

1. Smith & Wesson Model 60 snubbie (.38 special +p / .357 magnum) Stainless. Exposed hammer. $668 NIB
    2. Ruger SP101 snubbie (same calibers) Stainless. Exposed hammer. $532 NIB
    You're a winner either way. I generally favor S&W but if someone offered me a straight across trade, a Model 60 for my SP101 I'd have to think long and hard. I guess what I really mean is you should buy both of them.

I'm not generally a fan of Ruger DAs but the SP 101 is undeniably nice to shoot. It soaks up recoil of even heavy .357 magnum loads quite well, even with factory stocks. It's more like shooting a short barreled K-Frame Magnum than a flea-weight snub. I've only fired full-powered .357 Magnum loads through a Smith & Wesson J-Frame revolver on a single occasion, shooting a couple of cylinders-full. It was Model 649 with steel frame. It was tolerable but heavy.

Of course one could also go the used route and gather in a nice 2 1/2-inch or 3-inch Smith & Wesson K-Fame Magnum for the same money and have a revolver that is fabulous to shoot and holds 6 rounds rather than 5.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I'm not familiar with the Smith, but I've had an SP101 for several years and it has performed flawlessly. Back in my LEO days, I carried a Smith model 28 - large frame .357 which locked up on me several times during a qualification test. So revolvers can malfunction. Fortunately there was a superb gunsmith in town and after he did his magic, it had an amazingly smooth trigger.

One advantage with the Ruger is that you can get a covered hammer version which won't get hung up on clothing when carrying concealed - although I've never had that happen and mine has an exposed hammer. The good news is that whatever you decide, you will have a good revolver.

I have a Mod 60 so I guess I am partial towards that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nutrodoc View Post
    One advantage with the Ruger is that you can get a covered hammer version which won't get hung up on clothing when carrying concealed..
    I believe it's bobbed, not covered.

To the OP, why are you specifically going for an exposed hammer? Also, I'd go for the S&W 60.
    Glock Certified Armorer

sgb
    Have you looked at the S&W 640 pro? $660 delivered

"There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by DocGlock View Post
    I believe it's bobbed, not covered.

To the OP, why are you specifically going for an exposed hammer? Also, I'd go for the S&W 60.
    I always go for a hammer. Gives you the opportunity to have fun shooting it instead of that long ugly DA throw all the time. I never have any snagging problems, and if you can flip a safety off on a 1911 on draw, you can cock a hammer. JMO.

I am a S&W guy ,,,, also like the hammer,,,,, but both are good guns.

my main turn off on the sp101 is the 26oz empty weight. Great for shooting, heavy for a 5 shot ccw.

I would recommend the s p 101. Both are great companies I just happen to prefer ruger.

I love both of my sp 101s!
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links