Murder yesterday, killer at large...

This is a discussion on Murder yesterday, killer at large... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Same old crap: man murders wife at 0830 or so, police mum on method, truck found abandoned near slate quarry. Locals gather at workplaces, coffee ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Murder yesterday, killer at large...

Murder yesterday, killer at large...

Same old crap: man murders wife at 0830 or so, police mum on method, truck found abandoned near slate quarry. Locals gather at workplaces, coffee shops and lunch counters to hash out fact from rumor. Me? I do an administative inspection of P229 TDA I bought in May and of the P239 DAK I bought on Monday of this week in part because it is a DAK; brief the wife, who looks up from her knitting and wonders what the problem is, and the 16-year-old (Oh, wow!"); leave all the lights and the TV on and go to bed about 0100 or so. So my question to you folks is: Which gun did I choose for primary duty and why, and which one would you choose?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Both?

Either would be a good choice. I prefer much ammo in the gun; I want to avoid the need for a reload in a gunfight if at all possible, so I'd have picked the P229 TDA.

Which are you most experienced with and comfortable using? Use that one, a shotgun or both!

I'd use the shotgun around the home myself and I don't own either of the guns you mentioned, so I have no preference on your pistol choice. MY bedroom guns, however, are a CZ40P (mine) and a Ruger P-85 (wifes choice) while the Winchester 12g pump sits in a closet. I'd also make sure the home alarm works, ALL doors and windows are locked and the outside flood lights are turned on.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Quote Originally Posted by rachilders View Post
    Which are you most experienced with and comfortable using? Use that one, a shotgun or both!

I'd also make sure the home alarm works, ALL doors and windows are locked and the outside flood lights are turned on.

Fully agree!

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    At home, shotgun.

Either pistol will serve you well enough.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Either Sig is fine, that shouldn't really matter as much as the reliability of the one you choose and since you bought the 229 in May you have the most time with it and is probably broken in by now so that should be your go to gun. The 239 is to new IMO to become the primary just yet, possibly a good back up in a pinch but not the primary.

I would choose in the same way, assuming that I don't have a shot gun for an option.

I also never leave all the lights on in the house because I know my house better than any BG and I want the element of surprise and I have several very bright lights that will light my way when I need it either with quick light burst's to maintain my night vision and find my way or full on blinding light at the BG's face just before I unload on him. I take low light classes just for this reason and in fact just took one last weekend along with a combat pistol class. I also find I shoot better in the dark then I do in the day. Darkness in your house that you know is your friend, use it wisely.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Maniacal killer on the loose?
    Hmmm , I might choose something more apropo than
    a regular pistol.....

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Either handgun will serve the purpose, however if I were expecting trouble (or in such a hightened state of alert as you were) I'd prefer to have a rifle.........and a friend with a rifle! That said, you have good quality handguns there to choose from. As stated before, pick the one you know and shoot best.

JLaw

All I Need...

is one of my Kimber's...but...
    For a little added punch I could have my Nickel plated dbl bbl 12ga coach gun and my 125# Rhodesian Ridgeback if I need to answer the door because of a 'strange night-time knock'.
    It's all good!

Stay safe...stay alert!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by JLaw View Post
    Either handgun will serve the purpose, however if I were expecting trouble (or in such a hightened state of alert as you were) I'd prefer to have a rifle.........and a friend with a rifle! That said, you have good quality handguns there to choose from. As stated before, pick the one you know and shoot best.

JLaw
    Good advise to choose the handgun he shoots best. But why "a hightened state of alert"? Is this his wifes EX-husband. Lets be real for a moment...You should always be prepared to defend yourself, your home and your family but just because a man kills his wife in an isolated incident doesnt mean that the entire community is now in an unsusual amount of grave danger. I'm sure the killer had a "reason" within his own mind for what he did, but that probably will not result in the birth of a serial killer now praying on his community.
    Lets hope not anyway
    I think many people on this forum would be very surprised at how many "killers" walk amonst us everyday in our society.

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    I don't understand the question. What constitutes "primary duty?" What is an "administrative inspection?"
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic Pride View Post
    Good advise to choose the handgun he shoots best. But why "a hightened state of alert"? Is this his wifes EX-husband. Lets be real for a moment...You should always be prepared to defend yourself, your home and your family but just because a man kills his wife in an isolated incident doesnt mean that the entire community is now in an unsusual amount of grave danger. I'm sure the killer had a "reason" within his own mind for what he did, but that probably will not result in the birth of a serial killer now praying on his community.
    Lets hope not anyway
    I think many people on this forum would be very surprised at how many "killers" walk amonst us everyday in our society.
    Well, the "heightened state of alert" would refer to the notion that, being unapprehended at that point, maybe he would pick my vehicle to carjack or my house to burgle for food or other logistical reasons. He can have the car and the food, but not me or mine. See article here: http://www.poststar.com/articles/200...4936088482.txt

Quote Originally Posted by lowflyer View Post
    I don't understand the question. What constitutes "primary duty?" What is an "administrative inspection?"
    "Primary duty" would be the weapon I kept at the ready: on my nightstand or on my person; "administrative inspection" would be to ensure that nothing had taken up residence in the lockworks and that they were properly functional and, after that assurance, locked and loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by LTPhoon View Post
    Well, the "heightened state of alert" would refer to the notion that, being unapprehended at that point, maybe he would pick my vehicle to carjack or my house to burgle for food or other logistical reasons. He can have the car and the food, but not me or mine. See article here: http://www.poststar.com/articles/200...4936088482.txt
    If you dont mind me asking, how small is the town you live in. Maybe I under estimated your chances of being victimized.

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic Pride View Post
    If you dont mind me asking, how small is the town you live in. Maybe I under estimated your chances of being victimized.
    This is a town of 2900 citizens in a state with 620,000 people. It is in Vermont where, as in Alaska, the are no gun laws except those that pertain to age, criminality, intent and certain provisions of various laws enacted at the Federal level over time. Vermont is bristling with guns, concealed or otherwise. At this time of year, the woods are alive with the crackle of gunfire as people do administrative and function checks of sporting, and other firearms while they are at it, in preparation for the various levels of hunting season Fish and Game oversee. Did you know that Vermont is the only state that has a fish shooting season? It is also full of Liberals (some of them well-armed as I can personally attest) who do not touch the gun situation...not Governor Madeleine Kunin (here http://www.uvm.edu/~polisci/faculty/kunin_bio.html) or Governor Howard Dean.. because common sense trumps emotional turmoil almost every time up here. With the result that Vermont will have zero or one or two murders one year and a dozen another year.. sunspot cycle maybe..The upshot is that Vermont is remarkably safe and civil in almost any context you care to name. To answer your question directly: There is a vanishingly small chance around here of mayhem coming to anyone prepared for all contingencies and we mean to keep it that way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links