Shooting low and right with M&P Shield

This is a discussion on Shooting low and right with M&P Shield within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A little background: I am left handed. Before I bought the Shield, I had and daily carried a full size FNX-9, which I shot well ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Shooting low and right with M&P Shield

A little background: I am left handed. Before I bought the Shield, I had and daily carried a full size FNX-9, which I shot well with no issues. Now, with this M&P Shield, I have been able to go to the Guns and Leather range a number of times and noticed a pattern emerging. Check the picture of my target at about 25 feet.

A few notes about the target:

1. The six targets on the periphery were all shot with deliberate slow fire with the Shield, except the bottom left one which I shot with my friends Glock 22 - the first time I shot a .40 cal pistol. As you can see, the general pattern is low and left, but with the Glock the shots were going where I put the sights during the semi-rapid fire.

2. The bullseye and head areas of the target I used for some failure drill-type exercises, two or three to the body and one to the head from the draw. You can see the general low and right pattern on the bullseye target.

My first guess was that since this Shield is so much thinner than the FNX and the Glock, I am not used to holding it and thus more of my trigger finger is slipping onto the trigger, causing the low and right pattern. For some of the slow shooting on the peripheral targets, I purposefully concentrated on just using the pad of my finger, but it still seemed to be going low and right. I also thought that possibly I am gripping the gun too tightly, since it is only a 2 finger grip as opposed to the full 3 finger grip that I am used to.

Any ideas how I can remedy this? I do some dryfiring practice at home and it never appears that the front sight moves down and to the right when the trigger breaks, but this might be because I'm actually doing something differently when I'm at the range vs just dryfiring at home.

Take a look at this analysis of left hand shooting. Shows to be tighting of fingers or jerking/slapping trigger.

http://www.co2airguns.net/Shot%20Gro...sis_LTHD_2.pdf

With some range time, it should not be an issue to get things straightened out. Good luck.
    P95 likes this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    A great dry fire drill that will STOP that...is to place an empty shell casing (base down) on your front sight and work on pressing the trigger to fire without knocking the casing off. (if your front sight is ramped or otherwise will not allow the casing to sit there, you can place the casing directly on the barrel or slide)
    Remember to TRIPLE-CHECK clearing the weapon before attempting any dry fire drills

This drill should cure your low-right problem as well as tighten your groups considerably.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I will be sure to try that drill at home, sounds like a good one. And thanks for that chart, that will help me and my buddy correct our shots! I'll report back once I get some more range time under my belt.

get out there and get shooting NOW!

If only it was that easy! No home range and no ammo sponsor....man that would be the life!

South of Ol' Tascosa, two miles from water, twenty miles from Hell
    Pistol-Correction.pdf

Jungle Work
    Graduate: University of South Vietnam-
    School of Jungle Warfare

CURRAHEE My Brothers In Blood

Could be many things. I would first zero the gun from a rest.This will tell you if the guns sights need adjusting or its shooter error. If its not the sights and you determine its you,could be thumbing (squeezing the thumb), tightening the grip while pulling the trigger,Breaking your wrist down,pushing forward,or drooping head. The inconsistent grip could be a problem if your used to a different grip.weed em out one at a time,you'll get it.

Quote Originally Posted by pattywak View Post
    If only it was that easy! No home range and no ammo sponsor....man that would be the life!
    Might look at a Laserlyte. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002N2B0DO/...hvptwo=&hvqmt=

Great for practicing in the den while watching tv ect. Yea 80 to 100 bucks seems high, but how many trigger pulls can you get for that money versus ammo to practice at the range.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by RayBar View Post
    Could be many things. I would first zero the gun from a rest.This will tell you if the guns sights need adjusting or its shooter error. If its not the sights and you determine its you,could be thumbing (squeezing the thumb), tightening the grip while pulling the trigger,Breaking your wrist down,pushing forward,or drooping head. The inconsistent grip could be a problem if your used to a different grip.weed em out one at a time,you'll get it.
    Hm, sadly the range I go to has no rests at the lanes. Maybe I will try bracing on the shooting table and take some shots?
    Keep Calm and Carry One.
    Theis Holster - Joab Mag Pouch
    M&P9 Shield
    FNX-9

Narrow grips are a fine art to make.

I'm going through a similar theme with a boot grip on my LCR. Hold your strong thumb higher than usual and see if it helps. The higher thumb should release some of the stress on your trigger finger....... or not.....

Will try that too. Thanks!
    Keep Calm and Carry One.
    M&P9 Shield
    FNX-9

sgb
    Too much trigger finger and you are clenching your shooting hand during your trigger press would be my first guess based on your target. Make sure you're using the center of the pad on your trigger finger, slow down your trigger press and concentrate on holding your sight picture rock solid through the break.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Stubborn - Did your dryfire drill a little big last night. Couldn't balance the casing ontop of the front sight to save my life, but when balancing it ontop of the slide I was able to dryfire without it falling off.

SGB - I will take all that into consideration for my next range trip. Thanks!
    Keep Calm and Carry One.
    M&P9 Shield
    FNX-9

Then aim high and to the left! Problem solved.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links