open carry vs concealed carry

This is a discussion on open carry vs concealed carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i own 6 acres and i am working it (its a farm) and was wondering about wheather i should carry oc in a blackhawk serpa ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By archer51
  • 1 Post By Crowman

Thread: open carry vs concealed carry

i own 6 acres and i am working it (its a farm) and was wondering about wheather i should carry oc in a blackhawk serpa ( glock 19) or should i cc in a custom leather iwb thanks for your time
    do not morne death but celebrate life

I'd do which ever is convenient for you. It's your own place.

Don't know North Carolina law. When I'm out in the middle of nowhere on our own place I generally carry a side arm in a belt holster unless the weather is inclement. Even then many times the holstered handgun is only covered by a coat or poncho.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

It's your own property....do as you will. I had a couple of farms over a period of twelve years. At times I would wear a leg holster, and sometimes a shoulder holster, 1911 MOB etc....all with no cover garment. Checking the fence, stacking hay, driving posts. Really no need to go concealed out on the farm. Too dang hot for that right now anyway.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    I agree with the above post, which ever is most convenient. I open carry here on my property (OC is legal in KY., BTW) Neighboors think nothing about it and I am in a subdivision.
    Sometimes OC is much more comfortable and if it is legal, have at it.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    As others have said, your on your own property and OC is legal in NC. Do which ever feels best to you. Myself, I would OC, it is much more comfortable in hot weather while working.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

On my own property, I always open carry. The rest of the time, it depends on the situation. Around town I usual conceal my weapon, but when I am out for a run or a bike ride, I open carry in a pancake holster to keep it from bouncing too much.

In NC as long as you are on your on property you can open or conceal carry. You don't need a permit either to conceal carry on your own property.

Do which ever you find most comfortable.

Not to start a serpa bashing thread but for farm work and the likelihood of rolling around in the clay and crude a serpa may be more prone to getting jammed up than a standard owb holster and if you want retention go with a standard thumb break. They tolerate the incursion of crud a little better from what I've encountered.

As far as philosophy, I'd say just like the posters above - whatever you want.

For practicality, I've found that it depends. If you're out doing farm work, a Serpa sure makes it easier than digging under your Carhartts, and so in the winter OCing a duty-style holster is nice, but it comes at a disadvantage sometimes of getting snagged. Right now, a lot of my outside work is pulling wood out of our forest, and I find that an IWB exposed over a tucked-in shirt is about perfect for that because it doesn't interfere with the belt on my chainsaw chaps, and since it doesn't stick out like a duty holster, I'm not snagging it on every twig and sapling.

If it were me, I would probably OC, just for the comfort issue.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

P95
    As long as you are on your land...you can do carry IWB or OWB.....whatever is convenient.

We have 10 acres in SW Louisiana. It's a 'farm' of sorts - we raise poultry and rabbits, and have a couple of horses.

I OC most of the time when I'm out there - usually a .38 or .357 loaded with shotshells for snakes. With all our chickens, geese, ducks, rabbits, pets, and grandchildren, the copperheads, rattlers, and cottonmouths (mostly copperheads) are NOT welcome on our farm. I'll sometimes OC almost any of my other handguns too, though, since I like to target shoot at 'targets of opportunity' while I'm at the farm, just for fun & practice. I don't see any point in CC out there, since OC is almost always going to be more comfortable.

It also seems to me that being seen 'packing' by passersby just might be a deterrent to BG's who happen to be cruising around looking for an easy mark for their BG activities! My wife often OC's a .22 or a .38 at the farm as well. FWIW

Regards,
    Jim

I even OC while mowing my lawn in the city. It's much more comfortable.

You posses a farm - I'd OWB all day long.

Stay safe.

thanks for the opinions
    do not morne death but celebrate life

As others have said, it's your property, do what ever you are comfortable with and is most convenient for you.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Yes.....
    Civil_Response likes this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Links