Springfield 1911 and hollow point feed issues

This is a discussion on Springfield 1911 and hollow point feed issues within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a 4inch Springfield Loaded Champion that I can not get hallow points to feed in. I have changed ammo and magazines and I ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By gigamortis
  • 1 Post By QKShooter

Thread: Springfield 1911 and hollow point feed issues

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar

I have a 4inch Springfield Loaded Champion that I can not get hallow points to feed in. I have changed ammo and magazines and I get the same result. It seems that the round nose dives into the feed ramp and gets caught no matter what I do. Funny thing is that if I take out 2 rounds from the mag it feeds just fine. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. The attached pic is of a 230 grain gold dot in a Kim Pro 8 round mag. DSCF0430.jpgDSCF0430.jpg

I had the same issue with mine and gold dots and federal hst, using wilson mags. Try the factory 7 round mag and see if they feed, if they don't, I installed a tripp research super 7 kit into the wilson mags, and springfield smoothed and polished the feed frame and the sides of the frame to aide feeding.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

sgb
    Try hollow points instead of hallow points ........................ sorry, couldn't resist

It's your magazines. Tripp Research Cobra mags, Wilson ETM or McCormick Powermag Plus will fix it.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    Try hollow points instead of hallow points ........................ sorry, couldn't resist

It's your magazines. Tripp Research Cobra mags, Wilson ETM or McCormick Powermag Plus will fix it.
    Dang it Sgb!!! I was going for the "hallow point" thing and you beat me to it! Ill get you next time Sgb!

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I prevented the problem by not carrying hollow points.

Federal Guard Dogs. Expanding FMJ, 165gr, 427ftlbs @ 25yds, 1079fps@ 25yds.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post

Be nice I'm out in the field.

I might have some suggestions. Get rid of that pistol or find ammo it will feed reliably. You can also become a gunsmith for one simple reason.

VIP Member
    I had the same problem with the Loaded Champion I had. Would not feed ANY hollow point I tried, didn't matter what brand magazines I tried. I called SA, they e-mailed me a shipping label, and I had it back in 2 weeks. After getting it back it functioned perfectly with any brand I out through it, The fix they did was polishing the feed ramp and tuning the extractor.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I have seen a few ramped barrel 1911s with this issue. That being said, I am not a fan of ramped barrel 1911s.

Even though the .45 acp is a straight walled case, when stacked in the 1911 magazine, there is invariably a gap under the front of the top round. This lets the round have a chance to nose dive somewhat upon feeding from the magazine. As the magazine is depleted, there is less and less of a gap under the front end of the top round, and feeding gets more reliable due to a lesser angle of nose dive.

One way to help keep the open tip of a hollow point from catching the bottom edge of the ramp is to try some Tripp Research magazines. The top round rides a little higher in the gun than in other mags, so your top round has more of a chance to not catch the bottom edge of the feed ramp. Another approach is to try an EGW mag catch. These catches are made to latch hold of the magazine with it up in the frame a little higher.
    sensei2 likes this.

Administrator
    Try a Tripp Research CobraMag which presents the top cartridge at slightly higher and more angled feed position.
    That should work.

Really though if you want to get to the base root of your hollow point feed problem I would bet dollars to donuts that the problem is with your extractor which probably needs to be properly tensioned and smoothed up a hair.
    pistola likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    McCormick Power Mags solved the problem for me.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Give Springfield a call... they should be able to take care of this for you. Top-notch customer service!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Sponsored Links