Glock 19 or Glock 26?

Glock 19 or Glock 26?

This is a discussion on Glock 19 or Glock 26? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thinking about getting my first Glock. In 9mm. I have it narrowed down to the 19 or 26. I am more of a revolver guy, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Glock 19 or Glock 26?

VIP Member

Glock 19 or Glock 26?

Thinking about getting my first Glock. In 9mm. I have it narrowed down to the 19 or 26. I am more of a revolver guy, carrying j-frames, so it's primary purpose would be a range gun, and, quite frankly, to become familiar with the platform. However, I'd like the option to carry, and the 17 is just a little too much. Thus, it's the 19 or the 26. Right now I have a Browning Hi Power and a CZ 75D PCR. The 19 is about the same "footprint" as the CZ 75D PCR, so I know I can carry it relatively comfortably.

I've shot the 19, and I like it in an ugly puppy sort of way. I've never shot a 26, tho, and my range doesn't have one for rent. To those that own or have shot both, which do you prefer and why? I know that concealment is somewhat inversely proportional to "shootability." Does the 26 "point" as well as the 19? Is the 26 as easy to forget you're carrying IWB as is a j-frame? When considering the trade offs, do you have an opinion as to a clear winner?

Sorry if my inquiry is not entirely clear - carry will not be a primary factor, but neither will its ergonomics for shooting.

The 26 is not easy to forget that it's being carried. It's as thick as the 19 which is to say fairly thick. Ergonomics are similar so it will point as well as the 19 and in my experience will be as accurate.

I'd go with the 19. In order to make the 26 pleasant to hold it needs to have an aftermarket extension bought for it which takes away from the original point. The 19 is only marginally larger but carries more rounds and has a full hand grip.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

For me, the difference between the 19 and 26 (both of which I own) is the smaller size of the 26 allows me to carry it without having to adjust my wardrobe. I can carry a 19 with no issue but I have to up size my shirt from a medium to a large which I don't like. I think that the 26 shoots and points ALMOST as well as the 19. The extra grip length of the 19 is nice when it comes to rapid fire strings but not by much. From a weight perspective I have to say no, the 26 is not as easy to forget inside the waste band as a J-fram but coming from someone that is pretty weight and size sensitive I can say that I have no issue comfortably carrying my G26 IWB all day long.
    Philly Boy likes this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I bought the 19 as my first handgun. I intended it to be my only handgun, so it was going to be a nightstand gun and a carry gun. I have since realized how much easier other guns are to hide, so I picked up an M&P Shield. If you have other carry guns or you can hide your CZ well enough, snatch up the 19. If not, you'd be in my position and wish you'd gotten the 26 first.

That being said, I still love my G19. I go out of my way to dress properly and put my good belt on when I want to carry it. I know exactly what you mean by "ugly puppy". This gun appears to have a purpose, and it certainly backs up its image. I use mine mainly for the nightstand now, and it sleeps with a 33 round magazine loaded with 147 gr. PDX-1s. That mag is a must-have for any 9mm Glock.

I have shot my 19 side by side with a G26, and you'd be surprised how similar they feel. Sight acquisition is about the same, recoil is not noticeably different with practice loads, and the triggers feel the same (because they are the same). The one thing people can't get over is the "cut off" grip feel of the 26. If that isn't an issue for you, you would love the 26 and your decision just has to be based upon what size gun you want to carry (if your new Glock ever becomes more than a range queen)
    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." - St. Augustine

VIP Member
    Thanks for all the replies so far. I note that I carry a j-frame with a "boot" grip, which is designed to have my pinky engage the bottom horizontal portion of the frame, i.e., only my middle and ring finger positively grip the gun, and my pinky wraps on the bottom of the round butt. So perhaps the G26 without the pinky extension may not feel so foreign?

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    Thanks for all the replies so far. I note that I carry a j-frame with a "boot" grip, which is designed to have my pinky engage the bottom horizontal portion of the frame, i.e., only my middle and ring finger positively grip the gun, and my pinky wraps on the bottom of the round butt. So perhaps the G26 without the pinky extension may not feel so foreign?
    I originally thought I would have a hard time shooting a gun that only allowed me to get 2 fingers on the grip. In reality, I have found that it makes very little noticeable difference to me. YMMV
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

This was just me of course...but I found the pinky extension did not affect accuracy for me either but made a large difference in grip confidence. I have big hands. The pinky extension won't make a large difference in carry comfort or concealability, as long as it's one of those extensions that doesn't add any additional rounds.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

If you want to go small I would look to the smaller guns than the 26. I found the 26 to be an odd duck. Only a little smaller than the 19, but a smaller grip and I didn't like the balance. The 19 is a bit bigger but add a bigger mag on the 26 and the size is very close. Take a look at the shield or the Springfield XD -S. They are both smaller and most importantly a half inch thinner which makes it less of a problem with printing

Sent from my 300 baud modem

If you want a rail for lights etc, get the G19.

If not, get the G26. You can add a GAP mag floor plate to get a better grip with zero increase in grip length.

You can make the G26 bigger, but you cannot make the G19 smaller. If you wanted to, you could put a G19 barrel and mag into a G26, and you almost have a G19!

The G26 is arguably the best CCW pistol available. It is still unbeaten in terms of capacity vs weight. I find the G19 slightly more "shootable" but the difference is slight.

Find someone who has one if your range rental does not, and try it out. Compare it for yourself.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I added the Pierce mag extension to my 26 and it helps with the grip and, to me, does not interfere with concealability even though it adds 2 shots to the usual 10 rd. capacity. My 19 was slightly easier to shoot( less muzzle flip), but not so much that it was a big advantage. With some G19 mags I have all the rd. capacity I need for any contingency. If I could have just one, I'd go with the G26.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

I do have both the 19 and the 26...both are great guns.
    Based upon what you want to do, I'd jump on the 19 first.
    JDKinman likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I was in a similar position when I was shopping for my Glock. Wanted a 9mm... 17 was just too big for my needs... so that meant 19 or 26. I chose the 26 because I almost always tend to go with the smaller, more compact choice when given a choice. Ease of carry and the fact that the 26 can run all Glock 9mm mag was a big plus too. :)

Anyway, that's my advice... yours (and others) mileage may vary of course. :)
    “Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.”
    ― Conan the Cimmerian ― Robert E. Howard

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar
    I went with the 26. Since if I carry it I like the shorter barrel. When I carry it or go to the Range I use the Glock 19 mag with spacer. I now have the 19 Grip and the shorter Gun. It's plenty accurate for what I do. I also use G17 mags with the spacer. That being said it is a personal decision and from what I see at our Shop the G19 is the most popular. I'm a Snub Addict so that's probably why I like the 26. I carry and shoot Snubs 99% of the time.
    jon1all likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Based upon what you want to do, I'd jump on the 19 first.
    Agree.

A lot of our female agents back in my day carried the 19, as did most of the UCs (under cover folks). I carried one, briefly, but preferred the 17.

The 19 is one of the original three Glocks (17L, 17, 19) designed and produced for inclusive civilian sales and use. It is one tough, tested firearm.

JD
    Author of Above Reproach, the new thriller that unequivocally positions the Second Amendment and concealed carry as our nation's most effective system of homeland and personal security.

My first CC was a Gen 4 Glock 19. I love it. I looked at the 26 but ended up with a 36:)
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links