Glock 19 or Glock 26

This is a discussion on Glock 19 or Glock 26 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by dben002 Someone here mentioned "investment"...I have heard (hearsay) that due to the tremendous amount of Glocks that have flooded the market the ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Glock 19 or Glock 26

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dben002 View Post
    Someone here mentioned "investment"...I have heard (hearsay) that due to the tremendous amount of Glocks that have flooded the market the resale on these things is next to nothing....(supply and demand)....and if you're gonna invest in one best plan on keeping it or loose your tail on resale or trade in.

any thoughts from youse that has em.......I really do want the 26 but............................................... ........
    I would say a resale of a Glock is no worse then many other polymer pistols. One advantage is everyone wants one and they sell fast.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

2. Remove Ads

Someone here mentioned "investment"...I have heard (hearsay) that due to the tremendous amount of Glocks that have flooded the market the resale on these things is next to nothing....(supply and demand)....and if you're gonna invest in one best plan on keeping it or loose your tail on resale or trade in.

any thoughts from youse that has em.......I really do want the 26 but............................................... ........
    I sure don't plan on ever selling mine. When I lay down for the last time, cross my hands on my chest just put the 26 there :-)
    Last edited by nomadrider; December 1st, 2012 at 10:17 PM.

It is true that Glock's don't hold their value as well as some higher end pistols, partly due to the high number of them on the market, and already in so many people's hands. The "investment" you make in a Glock, or any firearm that is a "shooter" rather than a safe queen, is as a tool for self defense and recreation. A fine and worthwhile investment, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinFool View Post
    It is true that Glock's don't hold their value as well as some higher end pistols, partly due to the high number of them on the market, and already in so many people's hands. The "investment" you make in a Glock, or any firearm that is a "shooter" rather than a safe queen, is as a tool for self defense and recreation. A fine and worthwhile investment, in my opinion.
    After getting our CCW permits, my wife and I rented several compact/subcompacts-including wheel guns- to get a sense of what would work for each of us.
    I tried the G26, and it didn't have the extension, so who knows, it may have made a significant difference- but I couldn't get a comfortable grip, and really didn't care for the way it felt overall. A friend owns a very well known holster manuf. company and told me I should get a Glock- but I didn't get the "love", at least from this model.

Objectively, I don't see how it can be considered a "fine investment" if it depreciates faster than other comparable weapons....no different than a car, boat, or anything else we'd buy. If it's never going to be sold, it's a moot point.

I don't like the sub compact Glocks.. I prefer the compact size.. You have capacity , sight radius and a gun that is good to CCW and fun for the range.

I like to carry the biggest gun I can get away with. My wife likes to carry a small gun so she can dress how she likes to without looking "frumpy". I could care less if people assume I'm fat because I wear a loose fitting shirt....so for me - I'd pick the Glock 19 (given the option between the 2). In actuality I carry a Glock 21SF. If they made a long slide version, I might carry that.

The baby Glocks look very small in comparison - but honestly, with a two finger grip they are quite secure in the hand and comfortable to shoot. An extended magazine plate is often argued to make the grip the same size as a Glock 19 - if you ever see them and hold them in person you will understand how false this is.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Austin

I own and love my g19. Have you carried it? IMO if you wanted to o smaller I would go with a single stack 9mm such as Lahr cm9, Walter pps, ruger lc9, or a smith and Wesson shield if you can find one.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Holy thread resurrection...

I love my Glocks in 9mm. I am assuming the original poster got his Glock but my advice would always be to buy more 9mm Glocks.

Quote Originally Posted by tobnpr View Post
    After getting our CCW permits, my wife and I rented several compact/subcompacts-including wheel guns- to get a sense of what would work for each of us.
    I tried the G26, and it didn't have the extension, so who knows, it may have made a significant difference- but I couldn't get a comfortable grip, and really didn't care for the way it felt overall. A friend owns a very well known holster manuf. company and told me I should get a Glock- but I didn't get the "love", at least from this model.

Objectively, I don't see how it can be considered a "fine investment" if it depreciates faster than other comparable weapons....no different than a car, boat, or anything else we'd buy. If it's never going to be sold, it's a moot point.
    You misunderstood my post. The "investment" in a defensive firearm is not one in which you expect a monetary return. Rather, the investment is in the fact that you have a reliable tool with which you can defend your life and that of your loved ones. In this sense, a Glock is a very fine investment. If you don't favor Glocks, as you seem to indicate, then many other firearms will fit the bill as a fine "investment" in your safety.

Glock 19 or Glock 26

I have a G19 and was never really thrilled with it IWB or OWB other then in winter when I can conceal with a coat. I bought a M&P9C to carry as a concealed weapon. Was comfortable IWB and OWB.

I rented the G 26 and the M&P before I bought them. I couldn't get the grip right with the G26 but shot the M&P almost instinctively from the outset.

I carry it in one of two IWB a Crossbreed Supertuck or a Bernie Concelamax Pro. OWB it sits in a DeSantis Speed Scabbard.

I now have another carry piece that I am working with. Springfield XDS bi-tone finish. It is a joy to shoot and hides so well IWB in a custom hybrid holster that is similar to a CBST, except it can also be worn OWB.

I don't have a G19, but I carried a G17 and G26 for years and love both of them. Realistically, I wouldn't hesitate to carry the G26 anywhere in the world; it's a fantastic pistol, and accurate too. I've carried the G26 without a grip extension, and don't mind it, but I did add a Pierce grip extension to it and it makes it 11 +1 and much more comfortable. I can hit balloons with it at 75 yards pretty reliably, which is a confidence booster. None of this is a hit against the G19, but my .02 is that the G26 is quite capable of anything you can put it up against in the states.

I carry a G23 and a G27, (both have frame sizes of the G19 and G26). The G27 is easier to conceal but the G23 is more comfortable to shoot. Get the G26, you'll find the best circumstances to carry each one.
    Toorop likes this.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Guess it depends on how you carry. I had a Glock 26 & really 80% of the time I use an IWB holster I found the 26 top heavy & with the short frame my long trunk the darn thing was always trying to "tip out". So with the IWB I might as well carried the 19 would have been just as concealable & more stable.

However with an OWB holster the shorter barrel could make a difference depending on the cover garment. Whatever the case both are grear CC pistols.

SawedOffGlock19

I have the Glock 27 which is the same size as the 26 I believe.
    I have read a couple of articles on taking a Glock19 and sawing the hand grip down to the Glock 26 size and then just carrying with the 26 magazine.
    My understanding is that there is nothing in the bottom of the grip. The magazine is held in place well above the bottom.

The benefit to this procedure appears to be a little longer barrel and sight radius. The grip being shorter conceals well. I would research this more before doing it.

I own the G26 (gen 4) and use a G19 15 round mag with a rubber x grip to fill the gap. I considered the 19 but really with the larger magazine I feel I get the best of both worlds with the 26. I have the option to use 10 round mag to make it a bit smaller and 15 17 or 33 round if desired. The only difference between 19 and 26 is 3.42 inch and 4.01 inch barrel and the 26 is a bit smaller overall. Just my opinion I would go with the 26 easier to make a gun bigger then smaller! The only regret I have is I would have bought a 357 or 40 simply because of the options of converting caliber with minimal expense cant do it with the 9mm.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links