Anybody have one of these..?

This is a discussion on Anybody have one of these..? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If so, are you happy? Unhappy? Obviously, this isn't a target shooter.. 26289.jpg Twelve ounce .357 Mag revolver sounds like a handful. I'm thinking it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Anybody have one of these..?

If so, are you happy? Unhappy? Obviously, this isn't a target shooter..

26289.jpg

Twelve ounce .357 Mag revolver sounds like a handful. I'm thinking it would probably be easy to conceal and would definitely get your attention if you were down range.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

I read .38 special and +P on the barrel, I'd be careful shooting .357 in it? At that weight, it would still be a handful with the +P ammo.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    I read .38 special and +P on the barrel, I'd be careful shooting .357 in it? At that weight, it would still be a handful with the +P ammo.
    I read the same thing on the barrel. Unless S&W has done something new I've never seen before, you shouldn't even be able to chamber a .357 in it.
    bigmacque likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    I saw that, but I just copied the photo from a website because I'm lazy. Here's the relevent info...Smith & Wesson 360PD .357 Mag 1-7/8" HIVIZ.

Here's the link....

Smith & Wesson 360PD .357 Mag 1-7/8" HIVIZ $810.00 SHIPS FREE
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

I've got both the 640 and 642 we share with wife. With the laser I can put five rounds in 4 inch group from 25 yards. The firearm is accurate. The laser is a b... to follow, though.

The 642 is quite light and comfortable to carry, and so is the steel 640 in a good holster. We're very happy with both guns and J-frames in general. The recoil is not bad at all even with the .357. If you ever need to use one, I guarantee you that you will not feel the .357 recoil.

Go for it, it's a good gun.

I have a smith & wesson 360 in 357 magnum. Deadguy & I bought ours the same day. We quickly figured out that a 13oz 357 is not a weapon that will be a constant companion at the range but BOY is it easy to conceal & VERY reassuring to know you can deliver suck a nasty projectile from such a little weapon!

The trick to shooting it: Loose shoulder & elbow, firm grip & wrist. I would suggest starting with a few rounds of 38, then a few 38+p, then 38+p+, then 357s... work your way up to the "earth-shattering kaboom."

It is a heck of a weapon!

It is not meant to be comfortable, but comforting...

ps: when shooting 38 through a weapon designed for 357 expect to lose 50fps

pps: a GREAT comparison of 38 vs 357 from a distinguished gentleman. Rest his soul
    New Page 1
    Justified likes this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Thanks for the replies. Sorry for the confusion in the photo. This might be the next addition to my collection.

Little .357's hurt to shoot. Try it in the dark sometime. Spectacular.

Get some Bengay for your hand/wrist...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I shot one of these a friend of mine owns. It is a dream to carry. However, let me tell you, I've shot a lot of guns in my years, and have been an instructor many of those; this hurts my machismo to say, but this gun with .357 loads was the only firearm I've shot that I would say was truly painful. It is a fine firearm, and if I owned one, I'd use .38+P probably just to be comfortable in controlling the weapon and not developing a flinch. With magnum loads, I was forced to concentrate to an extent that would be more than I would be capable of in a high intensity self defense situation. For me at least, this particular uncomfortable is not comforting.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    I saw that, but I just copied the photo from a website because I'm lazy. Here's the relevent info...Smith & Wesson 360PD .357 Mag 1-7/8" HIVIZ.

Here's the link....

Smith & Wesson 360PD .357 Mag 1-7/8" HIVIZ $810.00 SHIPS FREE

You might want to call Buds and verify if indeed the price is for the model you want. Bud's pic does not show the correct model. Below is the link from S&W and note it states .357 on the barrel.
    Product: Model 360PD
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

VIP Member
    $810 for a 5 shot snub 357 is flippin crazy.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I work for a local orthopedic clinic. I'd be happy to fit you in after you shoot that 360PD.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

I have the 642 that can shoot the +P round. It is my favorite ccw pistol. I carry it either in a pocket holster or on a OWB and IWB. it's all I need for civilian SD. But I have other pistols that are also at my disposal if needed.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Still not sold on the snubbie idea, but these threads are getting me thinking - at least I'm open to the idea . It's mostly due to the width of the gun, but I gotta shoot one with the better/lighter springs in it.

My first thought on that particular gun is "is shaving a couple ounces worth that much money"? You could buy 2 airweight 38's, or enroll in a reallly good class, or get an airweight + laser - just sayin'. I've seen a bunch of people, after shooting an airweight, just stop shooting that particular gun - do you have any experience with them?

One thing that I've come across is that the 357 brass can be difficult to empty from the guns with the shortest barrels as the extractor rod is too short for the longer cases of the magnum cartridge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links