sweaty Kel-Tec Pf9 from running

This is a discussion on sweaty Kel-Tec Pf9 from running within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry a Kel-Tec PF9 with me when I go running and cycling. I carry it in an Amphibpod nylon mesh fanny pack. It is ...

I carry a Kel-Tec PF9 with me when I go running and cycling. I carry it in an Amphibpod nylon mesh fanny pack. It is built to carry an ipod while running. I got it at REI. It has worked exceptionally well for me. It has a wide elastic band that keeps the weapon snug with no bouncing. I have put an extender on the bag zipper with nylon cord like you see on backpack zippers so I can get my weapon out quickly. I carry my keys and a small mp3 player in it so no one pays it any attention looks like you would expect. I have noticed a small amount of rust on the slide where the bluing has worn thin. I can wipe it away with WD40 or gun oil. I am not concerned about the gun but more so the bullets. Could I be getting enough sweat to harm the round inside. I shoot garbage at the range and then put back in my "good" bullets. Should I change them out more frequently? I just shot the 7 in the magazine WO one fail to fire.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    I wouldn't think so. If you use good ammo, you would have to soak it in water for hours to get it to seep into the powder. Sweat is mostly external and I doubt much if any actually makes it into the gun internals, much less into the rounds. You should be good to go, just wipe it down every once in a while.

PS: You should be wiping it down anyway every few days.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

This is the reason I went with parkerized finish. A little better on the sweat deal. As far as ammo goes I believe the above poster is correct. Mine rides in my pocket a lot during the summer months with lots of sweat and hasn't messed up on me yet when i shoot it. I do shoot my carry ammo on this more often as well.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

I'm pretty obsessive with my carry ammo. I seal around the primers with red nail polish. Just a bit of a drop and it wets around the primer. Then just wipe away the excess. I use red so I know it's done. S&B ammo comes with sealed primers. I'm more worried about water submersion than sweat but it would work there too.

NO. You could go swimming with your gun on and still fire the rounds. The bigger problem will be your firing pin or springs rusting inside the slide. I am not knocking Kel Tec but their finishes do not seem as good as they could be. If the surface of the slide will rust how about the inside of the firing pin channel. Here is a link where a guy tried to kill primers with the all the wives tails methods he heard of. The Box O' Truth #39 - Oil Vs. Primers - Page 1

Quote Originally Posted by Ecucmgt View Post
    NO. You could go swimming with your gun on and still fire the rounds. The bigger problem will be your firing pin or springs rusting inside the slide. I am not knocking Kel Tec but their finishes do not seem as good as they could be. If the surface of the slide will rust how about the inside of the firing pin channel. Here is a link where a guy tried to kill primers with the all the wives tails methods he heard of. The Box O' Truth #39 - Oil Vs. Primers - Page 1
    I agree with this. I have been fishing several times in the middle of the West Fork river with my G27 and ammo under water. Factory rounds are tight...brass will tarnish no matter what. As for Kel Tec and the firearms? I couldn't say. But if you go in the drink, or sweat a lot on your pistol and ammo, break down maintenance would be a good thing to do. You never want to see rust on the outside of a firearm, much less inside a firearm. There are preventive techniques and maintenance techniques that you can use to avoid any problems. Sweat is a bit different from water in salt content. In saturation, salt out of sweat can crystallize into the common white crystals just like you see out of a salt shaker but smaller and more like powder. Rust is caused by oxidation, and it only attacks certain metals under certain circumstance at specific rates according to conditions. Copper and brass are less susceptible to rust than most steels (even stainless can and will rust).
    Here's the low down......I'd worry more about the pistol and the magazines than the ammo (in your case). Drop one of your pistol rounds in a bucket of water.......if you see air bubbles come to the surface after 30sec, then you have leaky rounds. Recycle them.
    As far as your pistol and rust..........you can't "wipe away" rust. If it's there......WD40 (which I highly recommend against for firearms maintenance), nor any oil will wipe it away. Run your finger over the spot you think you've wiped away and feel the rust. You need a wire brush or sandpaper to get rid of surface rust, and a good penetrating oil to keep it at bay after that. Looks can be deceiving. Rust is a disease to firearms much like cancer is to humans. Once it has started, there is no way of curing it from the outside.
    I'd welcome you to the forum in the traditional way, but I'm not sure if you've just come here for one answer, or if you plan on sticking around. Some do a hit and run so-to-speak. I personally think it would be in your best interest to stick around.

thank you

Thank you for all the replies! I feel much better about the situation. The spots do have a rough feel even after cleaning. No signs of any problems inside, seems to be superficial. This is a great utility gun and is perfect for my needs. It is very light and easy to carry. I did well with it at a defensive shooting class just as well as some with much better weapons. My hands did tire after 200rnds though,could not wait to put the gun down!

My wife washes and dries ammo more frequently than I like (yes, accidently in the washing machine). I separate it from the non washed ammo and shoot it the next time I shoot. Never had one fail but I would not use it for carry ammo.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

The ammo should be fine. Get some Gunzilla and use it to clean the gun. I have a PF9 and have had no rust issues at all. Gunzilla is a plant based formula that does not attract moisture and forms a bond with the metal. I sent some to my son in Afghanistan and his weapons have not failed since he started cleaning with it. You can find it at Cheaper Than Dirt - America's Ultimate Shooting Sports Discounter. Good luck and enjoy the PF 9!

Gunzilla is great stuff...I sweat like a pig and never had any issues with any of my guns inside or out. Repels water, dust, lint, and is a one step cleaner/protectant/lube. What more could a person want?
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Administrator
    KelTec uses a fairly mild steel for their slides. In combination with a crap Cold Dip Black Oxide crap finish like on my P3AT and it is prone to easily rust.

I stripped my slide and OXPHO BLUED it.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Links