M&P Shield or Beretta Nano

This is a discussion on M&P Shield or Beretta Nano within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think the shield. but I'm actually going to forward this to a friend of mine to show her I'm not alone in this decision. ...

View Poll Results: Which pistol

Voters
145. You may not vote on this poll
  • M&P Shield

116 80.00%
  • Beretta Nano

29 20.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: M&P Shield or Beretta Nano

I think the shield. but I'm actually going to forward this to a friend of mine to show her I'm not alone in this decision.

please chime in and post in the poll so she can see other people's opinions and see I'm not the only one here :)

This is for a female btw. I first suggested the MP9C or a G26 to her, but I think she is steering towards a smaller 9mm, which I have no problem with.

I should let her shoot my PF9 just so she knows how much a small 9 kicks though. she enjoyed shooting my MP9c about a year ago.

here are some pictures - (from http://www.romeotangobravo.net/2012/...etta-nano.html)

I've shot both. A couple of students in one of my recent classes I taught brought these guns. I like the trigger on the Sheild better, but I like the size and of the Nano better. Having said that, for a small single stack, 9mm that's easy for most ladies to shoot, consider a Kahr PM9 or CM9. Much better than either of these 2 in my opinion. I've owned one since 2006.
    SIXTO likes this.
    Bob Mayne
    HandgunWorld Podcast
    www.handgunworld.com
    Suarez International Instructor

first of all: what SHE likes and shoots the best is the RIGHT one for her, even if all of us say differently (which we won't - i have yet to see unanimity on any such subject here).

however, imo: Shield is a bit too large for pocket carry, but seems like a natural for IWB or dedicated purse carry. also seems quite reliable from all the things i've been reading. long-term durability still unknown, despite S&W's assurances.

Beretta Nano: i DON'T like the fact that there is no slide lock lever/slide release lever. this makes clearing a double-feed malfunction very difficult. also the magazine baseplate protrudes all the way around the base of the mag body, which makes for a pretty looking gun when inserted in a gun, but a pain when you're trying to pack a spare mag or two.

the 'best' is the enemy of the 'good enough'

Quote Originally Posted by sensei2 View Post
    first of all: what SHE likes and shoots the best is the RIGHT one for her, even if all of us say differently (which we won't - i have yet to see unanimity on any such subject here).

however, imo: Shield is a bit too large for pocket carry, but seems like a natural for IWB or dedicated purse carry. also seems quite reliable from all the things i've been reading. long-term durability still unknown, despite S&W's assurances.

Beretta Nano: i DON'T like the fact that there is no slide lock lever/slide release lever. this makes clearing a double-feed malfunction very difficult. also the magazine baseplate protrudes all the way around the base of the mag body, which makes for a pretty looking gun when inserted in a gun, but a pain when you're trying to pack a spare mag or two.

the 'best' is the enemy of the 'good enough'
    Remember most don't have immidieate access to these pistols to go shoot them.

I don't understand when people say 'get what you shoot the best' when in most cases you can't shoot them before you buy them.

it's not a test drive for a car ya know? i REALLY wish this was the case, but it's not. for more common pistols, or if you know someone it might be the case, but not the usual. especially a more not so common pistol like this.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Shield, no question... I imagine this will be quite a landslide.

I've never handled a Nano but I can personally say the Shield is a fine pistol.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ponchsox View Post
    I've never handled a Nano but I can personally say the Shield is a fine pistol.
    it was ok. felt fine in my hand. I'm more worried about the 'new' platform. shield is new, but based on a very proven pistol

You say that the recoil on the pf9 was bad I believe that you will like the shields recoil it is almost nill

I highly recommend the Shield.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Neither, I bought the Bersa BP9CC 8+1 21.5 OZ single stack 9mm just under 1" thick, standard polyganol barrel, the better gun, less money. very comfortable to carry, love this gun, and it really shoots well. They are in a little short supply but there are some out there
    photoshooter likes this.

People say the Shield is a little big for pocket carry, but in my main pants and shorts I wear it still fits. Though I prefer IWB carry. And I get what the op is saying, sometimes it's impossible to rent or borrow a pistol to shoot.

I don't like the lack of slide stop on the Nano. The shield has a full battery of arms, although not lefty friendly.

My vote is for the Shield.
    beararms likes this.
    Keep Calm and Carry One.
    Theis Holster - Joab Mag Pouch
    M&P9 Shield
    FNX-9

cj
    Can't say as I've never tried a Nano (but love my Shield). And by the way, there is NO comparison between shooting a PF9 and a Shield. The Shield is much closer to an M&P compact than I could have believed.
    pattywak and accessbob like this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cj View Post
    Can't say as I've never tried a Nano (but love my Shield). And by the way, there is NO comparison between shooting a PF9 and a Shield. The Shield is much closer to an M&P compact than I could have believed.
    Totally agree. My wife used to have a PF9. She hated it as it hurt her hand. When I got the Shield 9mm for my wife, she actually wanted me to be the first to fire it as she was still scared of how it might feel since the PF9 had felt so bad. When I fired the first shot, I turned to her and said, "Y o u ....A R...... G O I N G... to... LOVE... This." And she did.
    beararms likes this.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

i recently handled both,for me the Nano felt much better in the hand,also prefer the shorter grip on the Nano and lack of thumb safety..not to say this makes it better then the Shield,just felt better.the biggest drawback for the Nano is its capacity,it's about the same size as the G26 yet only holds 6+1 compared to 10+1 for the Glock.. the Shield was very appealing at first, but quickly realized it's the same size as my cw9,wouldn't really be gaining anything,i'd choose the Nano.
    Last edited by crue2009; June 28th, 2012 at 02:32 PM.

Shield is a great conceal carry gun.

I agree that shooting a gun before buying it is a luxury most of us don't have. We investigate our options as best we can, but it usually comes down to something like the "wand chooses the wizard" feeling that leads us to our final decision. That said, the Shield 9mm does not shoot like the average small pistol. Recoil is just so much better than you have any right to expect in a gun this small. I have a Ruger LCP and a Bersa 380 (yes, 380 ammo and not 9mm) and the Shield is much easier to get back-on-target than either one, as well as virtually no hand/finger pain to deal with. On the other hand, my guess is either gun you are considering will be outstanding for your intented purpose.
    Kilowatt3 and beararms like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links