Defensive Carry banner

Charter Arms Mag Pug .357 review

68K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Sledge 
#1 ·
I love snubbies, and have been eyeballing the Charter Bulldog .44 for some time to add to my ever-growing collection. However, I have a ton of .38s, like shooting .38/.357, and didn't want to get another caliber that happens to cost something like 35 bucks for a box of 50 target rounds. With that in mind, I dropped the Bulldog .44 from consideration.

I decided to get the .357 Mag Pug instead. It's made on the same frame, and has a 5-round capacity. It also has a ported barrel. I know that the reviews of Charters are all over the map, so I knew I was taking a chance with this one. No biggie. I also have a High Point C9, and a Rock Island 1911, so I guess I have a thing for "price point" guns.

Out of the box, the gun looked fine, and the lockup was nice and tight. Fit and finish was exactly what I expected from this gun. Not S&W, not Ruger, but passable, and no defects or burrs noted. The trigger definitely wasn't in the same league as my K-Frame Smiths, but I wasn't expecting it to be, either. The trigger turned out to be okay, with the DA pull being a bit gritty and some stacking at the end of the pull. I bought snap caps and dry fired the heck out it before going to the range. This smoothed it out quite a bit.

At the range, the gun was fed 150 rounds consisting of 50 S&B .38 148 grain wadcutters, 50 Bitterroot Valley .38 148 grain wadcutters (a LOT more powerful than the S&Bs), and 50 Bitterroot Valley .357 Mag 158 grain jhp.

The gun was a lot of fun to shoot, especially with the .357s. Shooting .357 always brings a smile to my face. The lightweight gun was lively with the magnums, but it definitely wasn't punishing to shoot.

Okay, now for the criticism. The gun shot low...WAY low. I was at an indoor range, and the gun was about 5 inches low at 14 feet, and probably 8 inches low at 21 feet. :blink: I'm probably gonna end up filing down the front sight vs sending it to the factory to fix. I'll have to take about a millimeter off of the big honkin' front sight to get it shooting correctly. With the .38s, and compensating for the low POI, I was able to get decent groups with the gun. However, the .357s didn't group nearly as well. Funny, because I read another review of the Mag Pug where it was just the opposite.

On a good note, everything stayed nice and tight on this gun. I know that Charters have a reputation for loosening up, and my 1965-vintage Charter Undercover will loosen up its its crane screw during extended shooting.

I have a set of Pachmayr Compac grips on the way for the gun because I like they way the Pugs look with them. The stock grips were fine for shooting, though. I also plan to get a simple holster like a JIT Slide for periodic carry of the Pug. Don Hume doesn't make a JIT for the Charter, but I've read that the ones for both the Colt Detective Special and the Ruger SP101 fit fine.

Gun Revolver Firearm Trigger Starting pistol

See less See more
#2 ·
Now shoot some hotter 125gr hp defence ammo and you may see that it is shooting to point of aim or close enough it could be you not the revolver. Slower heavier rounds will not have as much snap and will print lower , The 148gr wadcutter should have been the lowest unless one the 158gr was in slow motion also. I do see the 357 from BVAC is a dog to at only 1000fps. Before doing anything to the sights but something faster than that stuff. Most any short barrel 125gr defence ammo well be moveing along at better than 1200fps from a 2" barrel. 4" is closer 1400fps+. You may also find that setting the front sight on top of the rear well settle the slower ammo for practice.

#7 ·
Charter Arms makes nice, inexpensive but serviceable revolvers. They're a lot like a modern Iver Johnson in my opinion.

#9 ·
... The lightweight gun was lively with the magnums, but it definitely wasn't punishing to shoot.

Okay, now for the criticism. The gun shot low...WAY low. I was at an indoor range, and the gun was about 5 inches low at 14 feet, and probably 8 inches low at 21 feet. :blink: I'm probably gonna end up filing down the front sight vs sending it to the factory to fix. I'll have to take about a millimeter off of the big honkin' front sight to get it shooting correctly. With the .38s, and compensating for the low POI, I was able to get decent groups with the gun. However, the .357s didn't group nearly as well. Funny, because I read another review of the Mag Pug where it was just the opposite.
View attachment 60287
I picked up a Charter Arms .327 Patriot in an auction a while back and my experience matches yours, POI was low by the same amount. Two other people tried it and experience the same thing. After much internal grumbling, I used the laser as a reference to adjust the aim point by filing the front sight. At half the weight of my Ruger SP101, I would have expected the impact to be high if anything due to increased recoil.

The light weight and short barrel make for a convenient occasional pocket carry, but I find the recoil bordering on brutal. I'll keep it for its convenience at times, but I would not purchase another Charter Arms.

#12 ·
Can't go wrong with an SP101. An SP101 with Eagle "Secret Service" grips is a beautiful gun.

I may have to eventually get the .44 Bulldog Pug myself....if I ever get off my butt and start reloading ammo.

#13 ·
Yeah, the Ruger was actually my top pick but I've been wanting to get a Charter Arms for some reason. Maybe because I already have a Ruger and S&W revolver. Mix it up a little.

Oh yeah, just checked out those Eagle grips, may have to get those :smile:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.