About to get a LCP in a trade - What do I need to know?

This is a discussion on About to get a LCP in a trade - What do I need to know? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know these guns have been around for several years now and probably have sold closed to a million. My question is what are the ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By lowercase

Thread: About to get a LCP in a trade - What do I need to know?

I know these guns have been around for several years now and probably have sold closed to a million. My question is what are the basics about the gun I should know about? Are they any particular issues I can identify when I inspect the gun before I make the trade? Will Ruger accept a second owner's gun for warranty work if an issues crops up? What are some of the better accessories and holster options?

i'm not aware of any issues with the lcp,mine has close to 500rds and not a single failure of any kind..the lcp has exceeded my expectations,sights aren't the best but it was designed for up close,point and shoot self defense.get a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster/extra magazine and your all set.i also added a Pachmayr Tactical grip glove,made a big differance..

You need to know that they absolutely HATE Tula Ammo.

The only malfunctions I've ever had with mine were with Tula, and my LCP about choked to death on that cheap crap.
    Arborigine likes this.

I know of no gun mfg. that will not work on their products. I have bought second hand guns and sent them in for adjustments/ warranty work and have never been asked if I was the original owner

If I remember correctly there was a recall on some of the early ones. Check out the Ruger web site and verify that the serial number is post recall. If not you may want to see what Ruger will do since you will not be the original owner. I have one and it is perfect for pocket carry in smaller pockets.

Ruger will take care of you should there be any issues. Check the serial number to ensure the recall update was done to it, or that it is post-recall.

Paint the front sight with a coat of white nail polish, then two coats of florescent red model paint.

Use the finger extension mag floor plate - greatly helps in controlling the gun, by giving you a firm two-finger grip.

I would also heartily endorse the Crimson Trace laserguard.

It's a great gun for when small, flat, and light weight is in order. Enjoy!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

You can google the early recall. I don't remember the specifics. I think they but a dot somewhere once the recall was complete. Everyone I know has one. Mine has been flawless. My brother in law sent his in because of a problem with the mag release button.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Thumbs up

Here is a link to the 2008 Ruger LCP recall.

Ruger - LCP® Product Safety Warning and Recall Notice

I have about 500 rounds downrange with mine. It has functioned flawlessly with good ammo, avoid cheap stuff, it tends to balk at that stuff. I now load it with Rem GS and Hornady CD rounds. The recoil is a little brisk. I put a Hogue hybrid grip on it, much easier handling.

It is what it is, a BUG, a good pocket-carry pistol.

Good luck.

YMMV.
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. - Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

the guide rod has a tendency to deform and gouge

The LCP is a great pocket carry gun. I've owned three (own two right now). I agree about the sight paint (I use Tru-glo). Makes all the difference in accuracy. I also have a Hogue grip sleeve which I use at the range. Softens the recoil a bit, but basically just provides a little extra to hold on to. I use a DeSantis pocket holster, and the gun just feels like an extra wallet when you carry it. There are also a number of inexpensive IWB and OWB holsters available.

Links