Custom Tactical Rubber Grip Slip Ons

This is a discussion on Custom Tactical Rubber Grip Slip Ons within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 2012-06-29 12.23.25.jpg Jk on the thread title. But really, I've been looking at getting some grips for my Shield, but when I heard Talon wasn't ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By pattywak
  • 1 Post By Guest1
  • 1 Post By hardluk1

Thread: Custom Tactical Rubber Grip Slip Ons

Custom Tactical Rubber Grip Slip Ons

2012-06-29 12.23.25.jpg

Jk on the thread title. But really, I've been looking at getting some grips for my Shield, but when I heard Talon wasn't taking any more orders until the end of July ( RIP ) I figured I would try my hand at some amateur DIY stuff. Got the bike inner tube, cut it up, and then (eventually) got it on the gun. Trimmed the length roughly, this is only version 1, if I make another one I'll take a razor blade to make the cuts look neater.

So far I like the way it feels on the grip. Adds some grippy-ness to the grip that wasn't there before, and the inner tube is a slim profile so it's not like a huge palm swell or anything - keeping with the "thin is in" theme for my current carry system. Although the material is slim, it still adds a noticeable width to the grip, but just enough to notice. Feels great for my hand. Only thing I don't like are there are a couple of those ridge going around the grip on the rubber tube, but they don't affect the grip - just are a little bit of an eyesore. But for 4 dollars for a whole lot of material, I can't complain. Also, an added benefit I didn't see was that while carrying IWB, some sweat occasionally gets on the grip, but with this rubber there it still stays grippy even with some sweat on it. Nice!

Going to do some shooting tomorrow morning and get some final thoughts on this cheap home-made grip sleeve.
    mano3 likes this.
    Keep Calm and Carry One.
    Theis Holster - Joab Mag Pouch
    M&P9 Shield
    FNX-9

2. Remove Ads

P95
    Not a bad idea

Used tube with great success in Iraq and A-stan,and at about 2.00,you can make a lot of grips,All my Glocks have it on them with exception of my stippled ones.I like it because it does'nt add any size to the grip.

P.S.,turn it inside out and you want have that pesky seam protruding.
    pattywak likes this.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Been doing those custom tactical grips !!! for some years now. I tend to run several different widths ,stacked skinny to wide. Builds up a little bit and makes these sawed off shorty grips easier to hang on to. Bicycle shops cut old ones in half around here so old inner tubes are free to just ask for and get.
    pattywak likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by glockrocker View Post
    Used tube with great success in Iraq and A-stan,and at about 2.00,you can make a lot of grips,All my Glocks have it on them with exception of my stippled ones.I like it because it does'nt add any size to the grip.

P.S.,turn it inside out and you want have that pesky seam protruding.
    I thought about turning it inside out, but there was some kind of white-ish residue on the inside. I washed it out with some water and dried it out and it went away, but I just didn't want white powder on my hand, it belongs on my nose. (jk)

I'll try to flip the next set I cut, and try to get the edges a little straighter. But thanks for the tip!
    Keep Calm and Carry One.
    Theis Holster - Joab Mag Pouch
    M&P9 Shield
    FNX-9

I did the exact same thing for my Kahr CW9.

It worked well.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Links