Please help me compare Sig 9mms

This is a discussion on Please help me compare Sig 9mms within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a SW 9 full size that I am not all that happy with. I have a compliant gun, it has 10 lb trigger, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Please help me compare Sig 9mms

Please help me compare Sig 9mms

I have a SW 9 full size that I am not all that happy with. I have a compliant gun, it has 10 lb trigger, I got a trigger job to reduce to 6 lbs. I am consistently low with it, but not with other guns. Prior to purchase I had shot a 226, really liked it, but didn't want to spend the extra $400.

I also have a Sig mosquito that I really like. So I think I want to swap my SW9 for a Sig 9, but maybe a bit smaller than the 229.

So looking at Sig models, they have the 220, 220, 250, 229, and 239. Has anybody tried a bunch of these (hopefully all), and could give me their impressions. I would rather spend the extra $ for what I would like than regret what I have. Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

I have a 226, a 238, and a pair of 229s. My 9 is a 229 Enhanced Elite. This is the gun you want. A SIG, 9mm, and an excellent trigger with the SRT package. But......they are around 900 bucks. Well worth it to me.
    RowlandP likes this.

I've handled a P239, heard great things, feels good, other sigs I've held are to thick for my hand. Only real downside I've seen is the weight, pretty heavy for a single stack 9mm

Get a SP 2022. I love mine, same size as the 229, but lighter, due to the poly frame. 15+1, SA/DA, as accurate as it gets for a compact, and $349 at palmetto state. You'll definetly get SIG quality for a moderate price, and there are different grip straps for it, to make it ft your hand.
    Downside is the price of mags (35-40).

It is the most underrated gun out there. I am a member of several SIG forums, and there is nothing but praise for it.

I have a P226 in 9mm and a P220 (45acp). Current production P220's only come in 45 acp, so that's probably one you should drop from you list if you want a 9mm. Are you wanting one of the classic "P" series Sigs with aluminum frames, or are you wanting one of the polymer frame pistols? The polymer frame pistols generally are less expensive than the aluminum framed pistols. I don't think you can purchase any of the aluminum framed classic "P" series pistols for anything less than $750 new.

P220 is out if you want 9mm.

I think you need to ask yourself a couple of questions:

1) Single stack or double stack? The tradeoff is concealment vs capacity.
    2) Polymer or aluminum/stainless steel frame. The tradeoff is weight via balance/tradition.

Once you've answered those questions you'll have a much shorter list of guns.

Quote Originally Posted by frenchman View Post
    Get a SP 2022. I love mine, same size as the 229, but lighter, due to the poly frame. 15+1, SA/DA, as accurate as it gets for a compact, and $349 at palmetto state. You'll definetly get SIG quality for a moderate price, and there are different grip straps for it, to make it ft your hand.
    Downside is the price of mags (35-40).

It is the most underrated gun out there. I am a member of several SIG forums, and there is nothing but praise for it.
    Agreed. I love my Sig Classic series (220, 226, 228/9, etc...) but the 2022 IMO IS the most underrated pistol at that price point available... by a LARGE margin.
    Spartacus100 likes this.

I have a couple...the P220 is .45 only as mentioned, the P229 is my personal favorite HD gun with tac light. The P239 is to me the perfect carry gun, especially in .357 Sig

If not for carry, you can't go wrong with the P226 or the 2022. The 2022 is the best value 9mm on the market IMHO
    Spartacus100 likes this.

Another vote for a P229 or P2022 depending on your price point. That's assuming you don't mind double stacked mags.

P239 and P229 are great Sigs. Both are reliable and crazy accurate. The P239 is a single stack 9 with a slimmer grip. It is ideal for those with a smaller hands. The P229 is a double stack 9 with a larger grips size. I would describe it as a mid size gun. It is also a bit heavier than the P239. I have both of these and enjoy them a lot. Never had a malfunction with either in about 3 years of shooting.
    Another good choice would be the SP2022 a double stack with a polymer frame vs. the alloy frame on the P229 and P239. I have never fired one but they have recieved good reviews from most everyone.
    K9, Colt 3 5 7
    Colt Python 6",4", 2.5"
    Sig P225
    Sig P239 SAS/DAK
    Colt Diamondback
    Colt Trooper .357

Try the Sig P239

I have 5 Sigs, of which 2 are in 9mm. I have a P226 that I use for range or home defense, and a P239 that I often use for carry. The P239 is a perfect 9mm carry gun in my opinion, as it is accurate, reliable and small enough to conceal easily. I paid about $600 for it used a few years ago and added the Hogue aluminum grips.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

The best value for your money is a Sig P250. I have a p250C with over 3000 rounds through it with no problems. It is DOA and you might or might not like the trigger. Try it before you buy one, the pull is long, but has the best and smoothest trigger out of the box than any I have ever fired. It is my daily carry gun.
    NH_Esau likes this.

I've fired the P226 enhanced elite with SRT, a P229 extreme with SRT and a P229. They were all in 9mm. They are all highly accurate and fun to shoot. I did not feel much recoil with the P226 and felt some with the P229. You will know which gun is the right size for you when you hold it. My friend bought the P226 because it fit his hand like a glove. That's the way I felt about my P229. The P226 weighs 34oz, the P229 weighs 32 oz and the P239 is at 30 oz. There is a trade off between weight and recoil feel, the greater the weight the less the recoil feel. So with a light polymer gun you feel more of the recoil. That is why I like all metal guns. The best suggestion I can make is for you to rent as many of these as possible and shoot them. Good luck and let us know which one you end up with!

“Independence is my happiness, and I view things as they are, without regard to place or person; my country is the world, and my religion is to do good.” Thomas Paine

VIP Member
    winner winner chicken dinner P226 Dark Elite with SRT

Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    It would depend on what you are looking for and how much you want to spend. I have the P250 2sum and the P250 compact all in 9mm and love them. Once I got used to the DAO trigger I can shoot them great. I buy in to the hype about the long DAO trigger, all that is simply a training issue. They did have some early launch issues, but the Gen 2s seem to be rock solid with may people having 1000s of rounds through them without a problem. I don't think you will go wrong with any SIG 9mm you pick.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links