Range report: Shooting the Glock G26 gen 3 - pics included

This is a discussion on Range report: Shooting the Glock G26 gen 3 - pics included within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I usually shoot mid-size or full size guns, but I wanted to shoot a G26 in my standard 50 shot drill and see how it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Range report: Shooting the Glock G26 gen 3 - pics included

Senior Moderator

Range report: Shooting the Glock G26 gen 3 - pics included

I usually shoot mid-size or full size guns, but I wanted to shoot a G26 in my standard 50 shot drill and see how it compares to say a G17.

My standard eval drill used to be 5 shots each at 3, 5, 7, 10, and 15 yards, which takes 25 shots with 25 left in a box of 50. Not long ago I modified my eval drill to include rapid fire as well. I reduced the slow fire shots from 5 to 4 and that leaves me with 30 rounds. I divide those 30 into two 15 round groups and shoot three five shot strings with each group. That works out nicely for a box of 50.

So here's the 4 shot, slow fire, although not "that" slow.

Modified standard eval drill - 4 shots at 3, 5, 7, 10, & 15 yards. This isn't my 'best' effort, but if you like the G26 size guns, you should like this:

As you can see, there is a nice group centered in the X ring - for such a small gun, I think that's pretty remarkable. There only 3 shots out of the X ring and one of those is almost touching it, so a near miss.

I was disappointed in the rapid fire drill. I just could not keep the hits in the orange. In fact, there were a number of pretty bad misses - I'm too embarrassed to post the rapid fire targets. I'm not sure what the problem was. It looked to me like I was on target just about every shot, but they sure didn't go where I thought they were gonna go.

I shot the slow fire only with an extended mag; I figured it would be tough enough with the small gun without having a grip issue.

I alternated the mags, one with the extension, one without, in the rapid fire - didn't see much difference.

The gen 3 trigger worked just fine, although being used to the lighter gen 4 trigger, may have had something to do with the rapid fire, or maybe it was a sight radius issue. I'm just not sure. But one thing I am sure of, the little fellow has plenty of accuracy.

I did a follow-up eval using a gen 4 G17 and did little if any better in the slow fire portion. The rapid fire however was a different story. Fifteen rapid fire shots all in the orange save one:

Hmmm, looks like one round just barely had enough powder to get out of the barrel

Know what I did with the last 15 rounds? Eyes closed at 3 yards. Again with the G17 gen 4. Here's how that went:

The highest group has three hits that make a great group, but I could feel that I was getting pushed out of position by the recoil - I wasn't paying enough attention to technique, and that was the first group too.

The middle group is a 2" group no matter how you measure it.

The lower group to the left, is a 2-1/4" group counting the low hit; not counting it it's a 1-1/2" group.

Remember this drill is not about absolute accuracy. It's a drill to measure body mechanics and repeatability. But, I'm rambling off topic now; somebody should have stopped me.

Anyway, pretty impressed with the little G26 gen 3!
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

2. Remove Ads

Nice going sir.

I need more practice.
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

try shooting it at 100yds,you will be surprised

The Glock 26 is a subcompact, but shoots like a bigger pistol.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

P95
    Not bad...thanks for sharing.

I wouldn't trade mine for the world. I can shoot the butthole out of a skunk at 20 yards. Lol. Thanks for sharing.

All the above reasons are why I had mine milled for an RDS instead of a larger model.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glocked View Post
    I wouldn't trade mine for the world. I can shoot the butthole out of a skunk at 20 yards. Lol. Thanks for sharing.
    Boy that has to stink in more ways then one! Do you just aim for the brown bulls-eye considering everything else is black and white?
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Nice!

I actually can't shoot the G26 worth a crap...it is for sale actually. Now, the G19 is a different story.

heh, heh, it's working Tangle, it's working! Push a pencil into a target to show insane accuracy with the G26 and all the G26 owners get depressed and want to sell their guns!!!! Now we can buy them up cheap! Cheap I tell you!!!
    Don26 likes this.

nice grouping

for those having trouble shooting the G26, try picking up a Glock Factory 12 round mag with finger extension. It helps stabilize the gun during rapid fire, and gives a place for your pinky.

Philly Boy likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Zonker do you find this extension better than the other extension alternatives?

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    Zonker do you find this extension better than the other extension alternatives?
    absolutely. Other grip extension bite my finger. Not so with the Glock factory mags with extension. I have them on my G26, G27, and G33. The added grip length does little to inhibit concealability
    of the gun and gives you 12+1 in the G26 and 11+1 in the G27/G33.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I have the Pearce Grip Extensions (+1 and +2), GAP finger extensions, etc. and I still can't shoot a G26 well. Plus, if you use the Pearce, you may as well jump up to the G19 for CC. I think it all boils down to it being a different grip angle on the G26. I bought a PM9 anyways and won't look back. I'm selling the G26 to get a Gen 4 G19. That'll make two G19's in the house. My wife loves my Gen 3, so she'll end up with that. The Gen 4 will be a second house gun, woods carry weapon while hiking and hunting, and maybe even get a little holster time in the cold winter months.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links