how often do you swap out your carry magazine?

This is a discussion on how often do you swap out your carry magazine? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; to relieve spring tension. i can't say i have a set schedule. maybe once a week. whenever i think of it. take the rounds out. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: how often do you swap out your carry magazine?

to relieve spring tension. i can't say i have a set schedule. maybe once a week. whenever i think of it. take the rounds out. put them in one of the other two.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

P95
    I was wondering the same thing...worried about the spring tension....most people say it doesn't matter.

Never. Springs don't need to rest.
    sgb likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

VIP Member
    My magazines are always loaded. Never had a problem with them.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I swap them out two or three times a year........this most usually coincides with when I shoot my carry ammo at the range. I'm getting some deja vu here. Haven't we discussed the magazine spring ordeal within the past week? I work and sleep odd hours...............I'll go ahead and re-post the article link here.
    Magazine spring madness: 'creep' to your 'elastic limit' to un-earth the urban legend of 'spring-set' | American Handgunner | Find Articles

I might rotate them once a week, but, then again, I might not. I just grab one and load it with Gold Dots after my weekly shooting session. They all work, so I don't give it too much thought.

I don't bother. There is not a real need to do it anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Fausty View Post
    to relieve spring tension. i can't say i have a set schedule. maybe once a week. whenever i think of it. take the rounds out. put them in one of the other two.
    No need to rotate them. You should have training mags and carry mags. The spring can become fatigued from compression and decompression. If you use different sets you are good to go...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    ^^^that. Compression does not hurt your spring, USING your magazine will eventually wear the spring out. So you do not need to worry about keeping a couple of mags always loaded with your premium self defense ammo.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Never.

My grandad told me a story once before he died. He had his service 1911 loaded with the same ammo after WWII until he retired in 1965. He took that magazine out and put it in one of his ammo tins and kind of forgot about it.

In 1999, he was cleaning out some stuff and came across that old magazine, still loaded with the ammunition he had put in it in 1945. He decided for fun to shoot it. Every single round fired and cycled reliably until the slide locked back after the last round.

If his can sit in the magazine for 54 years and still fire I think you'll be okay not swapping it out every week.
    9mmHP, mr.stuart, joker1 and 1 others like this.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

never. for the reasons stated above.

I wonder if repeatedly stripping ammo from the magazines and then reloading them shortens the life of the ammo somehow. But I'm not concerned about the springs.

Quote Originally Posted by 380ACP View Post
    Never.

My grandad told me a story once before he died. He had his service 1911 loaded with the same ammo after WWII until he retired in 1965. He took that magazine out and put it in one of his ammo tins and kind of forgot about it.

In 1999, he was cleaning out some stuff and came across that old magazine, still loaded with the ammunition he had put in it in 1945. He decided for fun to shoot it. Every single round fired and cycled reliably until the slide locked back after the last round.

If his can sit in the magazine for 54 years and still fire I think you'll be okay not swapping it out every week.
    Amazing!

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    I don't worry about it. They get emptied about once a month at the range anyways.

I'd be more concerned with repeatedly filling & emptying the mags & wearing the springs out that way.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Oh boy... we're back to this? Time to recycle.

For the readers who are not mechanical engineers, springs of any sort do NOT have to "rest." I struggle to gloss over the technical details (if you ask me the time, I'll probably give you instructions on how to build an atomic clock)... but what "weakens" magazine springs is their cyclic loading and unloading. In other words, their use. Leave 'em loaded, leave 'em unloaded - no difference, they'll pretty much last a long time. But with use, the springs will weaken (spring constant will decrease), which is perfectly normal. By unloading your mags when you don't need to, you're just hastening the day when the springs need to be replaced.

I have about a dozen and a half magazines for my 3 1911s. I shoot steel matches 2-4 times a month, and I reserve 8-10 mags for that use. The others remain in the 1911s and nearby. I pay attention to my mags, and I can tell when I load 'em if the springs are getting softer. Given my relatively high usage, I keep spare mag springs and followers on hand and change 'em before they create problems in use. I refuse to keep "range use only" magazines on hand - they get fixed or they get tossed. No matter the gun, magazines are "consumables" which do not last forever.

My advice for the folks who are not into competition or other heavy use: every autoloading firearm you own should have a minimum of 3 functional magazines. One in the gun, and two "ready to go" spares. If you want to dedicate some mags to range use, go for it; just consider those 'extras' beyond the requisite three. And please, make sure all your first-line magazines function 100% in your gun!
    MotorCityGun likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    About every 10 days or so I will think to take the magazine out of the pistol, remove a couple of rounds, replace it with the full magazine from the magazine carrier, and then place a fresh and full magazine into the magazine carrier. Basically a rotation involving three magazines.

I don't know that it's necessary like that, but it is more or less a habit.
    "People who take an Internet handle of a great warrior, are usually the first to go fetal when crunch time comes." - Me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links