Need help picking out a concealed carry gun...

Need help picking out a concealed carry gun...

This is a discussion on Need help picking out a concealed carry gun... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just finished by CCW class and as I wait for the State to issue my license, I am looking to buy a pistol. I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Need help picking out a concealed carry gun...

Question Need help picking out a concealed carry gun...

I just finished by CCW class and as I wait for the State to issue my license, I am looking to buy a pistol.
    I used to compete in IPSC and own several full size 1911 .45s, but am looking for something a lot smaller.
    To tell the truth, while I am a .45 man, I have decided to go to 9mm.
    Went to the local gun shop and learned all about Bersa's and Tauras, they only carried full size glocks or very small ones.
    I think I am looking for a SA/DA with a light trigger pull and it must be more accurate than I am.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks

In a word,GLOCK!!!!!!!!!

You need to ask yourself a few questions to narrow down the criteria.

1) Hammer or striker fired?
    2) Polymer frame?
    3) Double stack or singe stack?
    4) Manual safety or not?

There are so many great guns on the market today in the concealed carry class. LC9, SR9C, Kahr (several models), S&W M&P (9c or Shield), Glock 26, Bersa Thunder 9, Bersa BP9cc, Kel Tec PF9, XD9sc.....the list goes on.

Check them out online and in person. Hold them to see what feels good in hand, and rent some at a range to see how they shoot for you. It's all about finding the right combination of features that fit your specific needs and abilities. Find something that works well for you, learn it, and practice.
    archer51 likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

VIP Member
    ^^^^^ What he said.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Glock 19

OK
    1. Hammer fired.
    2. Polmer frame
    3. Double Stack
    4. Manual Safety preferred

Any thoughts on which weapon is most accurate?

Hard to go wrong with a Glock 19 but give the Walther PPS a look too.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberSnow View Post
    OK
    1. Hammer fired.
    2. Polmer frame
    3. Double Stack

Sig Pro 2022 fits all of that with the exception on the manual safety. Very accurate for a 3.9 inch barrel.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

A few suggestions; you decide how these stack up with your requirements. CZ75 Compact, P07 or RAMI; Springfield EMP; Kahr P9/CW9.

The EMP is a reduced-scale 1911 designed around the 9mm round, but it's a single-stack and an alloy frame.
    The Kahr P9/CW9 is very flat and compact, but striker fired and a single stack.
    The CZs are alloy or plastic frame, all hammer-fired, all double-stack, most have manual safeties. Great guns and very affordable.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

9mm, DA/SA, small

I have several 9mm guns and my favorite DA/SA is the Sig P239. This is a concealable, single stack gun with capacity of 8+1 rounds. Mine has been perfectly reliable and is accurate. It is fairly small and weighs 27.5 ounces empty, so it handles 9mm recoil easily.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

OK
    1. Hammer fired.
    2. Polmer frame
    3. Double Stack

While there is no substitute for handling the pistols on your short list and shooting the ones you like if at all possible via rental, friends etc., based on your current criteria I would suggest you at least consider the CZ 2075 RAMI. Although the polymer frame version has now been replaced with the alloy frame version, it is:
    1. Hammer fired DA/SA
    2. Double Stack
    3. Manual safety allows it to be carried cocked and locked (since your a 1911 guy as I am)
    4. Is based on the CZ 75 series and in my experience is extremely accurate for a 3" barrel pistol.

Good luck on your decision.

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’

— Abraham Lincoln

H&K P2000sk

After my post above, I saw that you added more specs including polymer frame, external hammer, double stack magazine and external safety. So the Sig P239 doesn't fit your new spec.

How about an H&K P2000sk? This has polymer frame, external hammer, DA/SA and a double stack magazine. It doesn't have an external safety, but those are hard to find in a DA/SA gun because most users don't think they are necessary, relying on the heavier double action first trigger pull for a safety. The gun is small and quite concealable.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Wondering how your getting a California permit, are you Nancy Pelosi's nephew?
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    After my post above, I saw that you added more specs including polymer frame, external hammer, double stack magazine and external safety. So the Sig P239 doesn't fit your new spec.

How about an H&K P2000sk? This has polymer frame, external hammer, DA/SA and a double stack magazine. It doesn't have an external safety, but those are hard to find in a DA/SA gun because most users don't think they are necessary, relying on the heavier double action first trigger pull for a safety. The gun is small and quite concealable.

Awesome choice (albeit expensive). +1 on the "no need for the external safety" school of thought.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

OK
    1. Hammer fired.
    2. Polmer frame
    3. Double Stack

I have a Beretta PX4 storm SC and it meets all the above requirements. Shoots real nice too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links