Best CC weapon -old school

This is a discussion on Best CC weapon -old school within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK. Just bought an XD compact. Sweet gun......if I don't have to drag it out of a holster. Grip &I trigger safety? I want a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Best CC weapon -old school

OK. Just bought an XD compact. Sweet gun......if I don't have to drag it out of a holster. Grip &I trigger safety? I want a safety to thumb off and a DA action so I minimize the chance of shooting myself in the heiny. I'm pretty happy eith the workings of my 669 Smith. Just want a bigger caliber. What to buy?

huh?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

An H&K USP45 Compact. DA/SA with decocker and safety. The USP40 would do as well, if you want to go with .40.

Or the HK45 Compact.

I'm sure S&W made 3rd gen compact autos in .40 and .45, I'm just not sanguine on their model numbers.

Or, a CZ compact in .40 or .45 (or one of the many clones--Witness, et al...).

A Beretta 96F Compact.

That's all that come immediately to mind, at least--I'm sure there are many others.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Bersa Thunder 40 or 45 UC Pro, to add to the above list.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

XDs are a great gun. very easy to safely handle. Why don't you try using that gun before buying another? What holster are you using?
    stancehold likes this.
    Question Everything!

VIP Member
    There are plenty of guns on the market that will fill your requirements, as you can see from the previous posts. However, I respectfully suggest that you invest in a little training as well.

Every reputable trainer around offers some version of a Basic Pistol/CCW Fundamentals-type course. This should get you past the "chance of shooting myself in the heiny" fears. The cost of the class, ammo and carry rig will be less than the cost of a new pistol that you may or may not like any better than the ones you already have.

With that knowledge you can really identify the characteristics you like/dislike in a carry handgun.
    marcclarke likes this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Takem01 View Post
    OK. Just bought an XD compact. Sweet gun......if I don't have to drag it out of a holster. Grip &I trigger safety? I want a safety to thumb off and a DA action so I minimize the chance of shooting myself in the heiny. I'm pretty happy eith the workings of my 669 Smith. Just want a bigger caliber. What to buy?
    If you your God given safety (your brain) and keep your finger off the trigger while drawing or re-holstering, the gun is not going to go off. If you are just looking for an excuse to buy another gun. There are hundreds out there that fit what you want.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Taurus 24 7 G2 has the safety you're looking for. SA/DA, thumb decocker/safety, feels awfully close to the XD line also.

Thanks for the observations. Rollo. I want the gun to be inert in the holster. With a round in the chamber with the XD, it's cocked. I'm perfectly happy to thumb the safety & fire the first round DA. Was just looking for suggestions on a bigger caliber than the 669, but something that'll be a good choice for IWB carry.

If a mechanical device is all that's keeping you from shooting yourself in the heiny, please do us all a favor and carry pepper spray instead. Safety is between your ears. Or at least, it should be.
    Nothing wrong with the XD. Relying on a switch or lever to make up for poor gun handling skills is a disaster waiting to happen.
    You don't need a different gun. You need a different mindset.
    marcclarke and Chesafreak like this.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Sounds like you should carry with a trigger lock on your gun, or get one with a Hillary Hole, and keep the key in your wallet.

VIP Member
    .........so I minimize the chance of shooting myself in the heiny........What to buy?
    I'd buy a book that lists the four basic gun safety rules.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I agree. I'd go as far to say you made a impulsive buy without shooting it first and a poor financial decision if you plan on selling it. If your word about shooting yourself and want more safeties I suggest going to the range for some classes.

Quote Originally Posted by GreyGhost View Post
    XDs are a great gun. very easy to safely handle. Why don't you try using that gun before buying another? What holster are you using?
    + 1
    mook012 likes this.

I have nothing to add that hasn't already been said except welcome to the forum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ...Adam

"If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart, and if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no head." --Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links