What next

This is a discussion on What next within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, over the past couple of years since I started carrying, I've rounded up the following: 1. M&P9c; Apex DCAEK (I think that's what they ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: What next

What next

So, over the past couple of years since I started carrying, I've rounded up the following:

1. M&P9c; Apex DCAEK (I think that's what they called it), and the device that helps "pronounce" the trigger reset
    2. Ruger SP101; 357 mag, 2 1/4" barrel
    3. Sig P220SAS with SRT

Along the way I also had a Kahr CW45 that didn't get along well with me, and a walther P990 DAO that I really just couldn't make myself like the trigger on. Oh, and I do have my walther p22 target with all of its brute power. Likewise I have my 44 mag that is my main hunting firearm and has no feasible concealed carry applicability.

SO! I'm in the mood to add something else to the mix. I don't really have any particular reason to make an addition other than I just want another gun. I don't really need any specific gun for concealment as the three above can all be concealed adequately for my purposes. The three above guns of course range from the small side of medium sized to the bigger side of medium sized. I don't really have any interest in a pocket gun. So, that leaves me looking primarily at full size guns that will be well suited for range duty, bedside duty, and maybe some concealed carry if the conditions warrant / allow such.

CDNN has the m&p 357 sigs at $399.00 right now (assuming they aren't all sold yet) which are quite appealing. However, i'm not sure that I want to add a different caliber into the mix as I am pretty well setup to load for what I already have, and I do like simplicity. All I actually load for (of the carry guns) is the 357mag and the 45....9mm doesn't justify reloading for me at current ammo pricing.

Then we have the glock lineup. I've only fired one glock (model 21) and that was several years back. It was a gen 2 I THINK and was a bit large in the grip area for me. However, a 21SF, or maybe one of the full size glock 9mm varieties would be a nice addition.

I've never fired so much as one round out of a 1911. I know, that's probably grounds for a lynching, but that's reality. I can go rent one and run some ammo through it at one of the local ranges I suppose, but I'm not sure one session with 100 rounds or so is going to tell me much. So, I might be better off to just find a 1911 that is a quality piece but not a mega-bucks variety, and see how we get along.

CZ has a couple of good looking full size 9mm that might be fun. I've been told that the single action only CZ75 variety is a great gun for range time.

Anyhow, lets assume a budget of $600 (give or take a little is fine), and let's keep it in full size 9mm or 45acp guns. What pistols should I look into?

Yes, I realize this is a pretty wide open question, but I am interested in what people's opinions are on it.

Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

I'm in a similar boat as you. my primary pistols are 9mm and .45

but I want to get something diff this time, so I was looking at 10mm pistols.

I think a G21SF will work well for you. I considered between a 21SF and a MP45... I would take the 21SF due to capacity I think.

I can shoot any gun well, so it's not so much of a 'buy what you shoot best' kind of thing.

I also thought about a AR24 (cz75 that's fine tuned?) Gun Review: ArmaLite AR 24-15C | The Truth About GunsThe Truth About Guns but it's a little too much money for what the gun is I think.

1911... prepare to get addicted.

P95
    I sounds like you have a pretty good arsenal already. You may be one who is addicted to buying guns....for simply no reason other than buying them. If you have one for CC, and one for the range...do you really need another?

VIP Member
    I will vouch for the CZ75b SAO. It is a great gun. This may be blasphemy, but I prefer it to the BHP. The icing on the cake is it falls right in to your budget.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

How about a S&W 442. An Airweight snubby has a ton of carry applications. Very versatile and it takes some range time to get good with it. A great project with a lot of useful applications.
    kmagnuss and stancehold like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    You can't go wrong with a CZ75.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by P95 View Post
    I sounds like you have a pretty good arsenal already. You may be one who is addicted to buying guns....for simply no reason other than buying them. If you have one for CC, and one for the range...do you really need another?
    no doubt that I buy guns I don't need. while my handgun selection is small, my rifle / shotgun collection is a bit larger. So, do I really need another gun? well...of course I do. :)

I am going to do some looking tomorrow and see if there is a CZ75B SAO to be found anywhere around here. I keep hearing and reading about that particular pistol, so I'm going to have to check it out. likewise I will be looking for the armalite mentioned above as well. If no luck there, a glock 21sf or gen4 (i don't know for sure that there is a 21 G4....gotta look) will be next on my list most likely.

thanks for the input so far!

The CZ 75B SA might be tough to find, but the 'patriarch' CZ75B is nearly identical - just gives you a DA/SA choice on the first shot. A well-balanced, easy-shootin' gun.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Thanks for the heads-up Smitty. I will check that out.

I forgot to comment in my last reply on 1911's. Is there even a decent 1911 being sold in the $600 price bracket? CDNN has the Taurus 1911's really cheap, and I have a taurus 44 mag (older model) that shoots like a dream. However, i've heard several comments of the older revolvers being good, but the newer guns having more issues, so I don't think I want to go that route for something like a 1911. The only other thing i'm aware of in that price range is the RIA line-up.

Thanks!

Sig P220 stainless

It sounds like you want a full size 9mm or .45 in the $600 range. I bought the Sig P220ST below for about $700 used, and it shoots as well as any 1911 I have, with somewhat more reliability. The gun is all stainless and weighs almost exactly the same as a steel 1911, so it handles .45 recoil very well. The magazine is 8 rounds, and the grip is very ergonomic and comfortable. When you disassemble the gun the quality of manufacturing becomes very evident in the parts, which are beautifully machined and fitted together. It has become my favorite range gun.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

You should be able to get a Springfield, Ruger or Remington 1911 for somewhere around 600.

JD did a post about the Taurus 1911's and found them very lacking lately. Machining was pretty bad on some of the parts.

I am not going to bash Taurus, because I have 3 that work like they are supposed to, but lately with their prices going up, and other companies prices coming down they are less attractive than they were a few years ago.

Good luck.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by P95 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by msc8127 View Post
    So, over the past couple of years since I started carrying, I've rounded up the following:

1. M&P9c; Apex DCAEK (I think that's what they called it), and the device that helps "pronounce" the trigger reset
    2. Ruger SP101; 357 mag, 2 1/4" barrel
    3. Sig P220SAS with SRT...

...SO! I'm in the mood to add something else to the mix. I don't really have any particular reason to make an addition other than I just want another gun...

...So, that leaves me looking primarily at full size guns that will be well suited for range duty, bedside duty, and maybe some concealed carry if the conditions warrant / allow such...

...Anyhow, lets assume a budget of $600 (give or take a little is fine), and let's keep it in full size 9mm or 45acp guns. What pistols should I look into?

Yes, I realize this is a pretty wide open question, but I am interested in what people's opinions are on it.

Thanks!
    If I were in your situation, I'd be looking at (in no particular order):

Full-size M&P 9
    Longer barreled SP101 or a GP

Personally, I wouldn't fool with a .357 Sig - JMO.

Regards,
    Jim

You DO have a nice collection already, and the Glock-21SF w/SureFire X-300 would be the perfect night stand addition.IMHO
    I'm thinking about adding a suppressor to that '21', why make the welcoming committee so loud that it hurts the ears?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links