Car gun (or truck gun, if you please) wear and tear question.

This is a discussion on Car gun (or truck gun, if you please) wear and tear question. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm wondering about what kind of wear and tear will occur on a gun I leave it in my center console while driving. I have ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By 10thmtn
  • 1 Post By ericb327

Thread: Car gun (or truck gun, if you please) wear and tear question.

I'm wondering about what kind of wear and tear will occur on a gun I leave it in my center console while driving. I have a few snubbies I am considering keeping as a dedicated car gun, but I don't know if the timing will be affected or some other bad things will happen. My impression is that it will probably have little effect as long as the gun isn't jostling around (i.e. sliding around in truck bed or something like that). I'm hoping with a little cushioning, all will be well. Thanks for your experienced advice!

i took a cheap nylon type IWB open top holster and took a 3" long piece of a worn out gun belt and screwed it inside the console on the side wall..... Gun stays good and secure and its easy to pull the holster out if needed.

I would be willing to bet that a very significant percentage of guns used by criminals were originally stolen out of vehicles, since it is so easy to do a smash and grab.

If you have to leave a gun in a vehicle, because you are going into a "no gun" zone, then please invest in a vehicle gun safe - or at least a lock box chained to something sturdy.

A dedicated car gun (a gun always left in the car) is a stolen gun waiting to happen.

Best place for a gun in a car is on the driver's body in a holster - where it usually is. I've been a first responder at the scene of car accidents - you would not believe where stuff gets thrown. Even violent maneuvers can throw stuff around.

If you insist on a car gun, then mount a holster securely to the passenger compartment, so at least the gun will not get thrown around inside the vehicle. There are many such options available.

But really - don't leave a gun in a car unless you have no other legal option.
    mwhartman likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I would be willing to bet that a very significant percentage of guns used by criminals were originally stolen out of vehicles, since it is so easy to do a smash and grab.

If you have to leave a gun in a vehicle, because you are going into a "no gun" zone, then please invest in a vehicle gun safe - or at least a lock box chained to something sturdy.

A dedicated car gun (a gun always left in the car) is a stolen gun waiting to happen.

Best place for a gun in a car is on the driver's body in a holster - where it usually is. I've been a first responder at the scene of car accidents - you would not believe where stuff gets thrown. Even violent maneuvers can throw stuff around.

If you insist on a car gun, then mount a holster securely to the passenger compartment, so at least the gun will not get thrown around inside the vehicle. There are many such options available.

well said. If someone steals your gun and kills someone with it, you will not be charged with murder, but you may be held responsible in a civil lawsuit if that gun was not properly secured when you were not present. bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    I would do more preventive maintenance due the extremes of cold and hot, condensation and such. Lubricant can leak off in the heat I think. Just some thoughts.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post

Your sentence "I've been a first responder at the scene of car accidents - you would not believe where stuff gets thrown. Even violent maneuvers can throw stuff around." really struck me. In April, my wife and I were rear ended by a tractor-trailer on I 81. Everything, including us, was thrown around. I would not have wanted an unsecured loaded weapon included.

Just my $.02
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Sponsored Links