What gun would you suggest for my son?

This is a discussion on What gun would you suggest for my son? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, My teenage soon will be moving to "the city" in 2 months to start college. I'd like to get him a "truck gun". ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: What gun would you suggest for my son?

What gun would you suggest for my son?

Hey guys,
    My teenage soon will be moving to "the city" in 2 months to start college. I'd like to get him a "truck gun". He already has a shotgun that can be used for home defense. After a number of shooting sessions, he likes the feel of my Springfield XD and 1911. I think a revolver would be an option as well after changing the grips; the ones I have did not fit his large hands very well. He thinks he'd prefer a semi-auto.

My specs are:
    DAO trigger
    No external safety, except for possibly the grip safety on the XD; I have some concerns w/ a grip safety and a relatively newbie pistol shooter
    Non-compact frame
    9mm caliber
    Double stack mag
    RELIABLE action

We went to a gun show today so he could handle different semi-auto's. What I found out is that he didn't like the feel in his hand of Glock or Beretta PX. The Ruger SR and S&W M&P were ok. What felt the best were the Walther PPQ, Springfield XD, 1911's, and (uggggghhhhh....) S&W Sigma and SD. There weren't any Sigs or H&K's available. We didn't look at Taurus. Neither one of us likes the PPQ's unusual mag release.

By the process of elimination, the S&W Sigma/SD is the front runner. I've read all kinds of bad reviews about the Sigma, mostly due to it's long and gritty trigger. My understanding of the SD is that it's basically a Sigma w/ an improved trigger and some other upgrades. Unfortunately, there's not my info out there about the SD series. To complicate it further, I see that S&W has added the SD9 VE to their non-M&P lineup. It's not clear to me which, if any, of the Sigma or SD, have been discontinued from the line up.

What would be your recommendation? Would you feel confident enough w/ the current Sigma, SD or SD VE purchase one or would you go w/ a different gun, even though it didn't fit his hand as well?

Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

There has been a lot of raving about the S&W M&P Shield -- comes in either 9mm of .40 caliber
    Gun Review: The Smith & Wesson M&P Shield | The Daily Caller

S&W M&P Shield 9mm Review - YouTube
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Ah... why not consider a Glock 19 or Glock 17? The "safe action" trigger on a Glock is not quite the same as a double action, but very close. Reliable, accurate, easy to shoot, easy to maintain, plethora of holsters, after market parts, sights, accessories, #1 law enforcement gun, the list goes on.
    Bob Mayne
    HandgunWorld Podcast
    www.handgunworld.com
    Suarez International Instructor

The Shield is not a double stack weapon.

I had a Sigma for a while. It was reliable and decently accurate, but had a poor trigger. I know nothing of the SD series.

I'm having a hard time recommending anything other than a Glock, and I'm not a Glock 'person' at all. Your son's situation and requirements sound like exactly what a Glock 17 or 19 could fill the role for.

Something to consider: The Generation 4 (latest) Glocks have adjustable backstraps, which may help your son in the feel department. That being said, Glocks feel weird in the hand to me too. One of several reasons why I moved on to something else. However, mine was extremely accurate and reliable. Mine was also a Generation 3 and did not have an adjustable backstrap.
    ericb327 likes this.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

I'd also discuss the use of alternate forms of self defense such as pepper spray.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

None..... I believe LA like Texas you must be 21 posses a hand gun.
    John

NRA Life Member
    TSRA

i would like to suggest u. spoiler pistol is most attractive and light weighted gun and its totally automatically and u can used it very easy and u easily open it and repair it.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    There has been a lot of raving about the S&W M&P Shield -- comes in either 9mm of .40 caliber
    Gun Review: The Smith & Wesson M&P Shield | The Daily Caller

S&W M&P Shield 9mm Review - YouTube
    No reason to go for a small gun when he will not carry it. The Shield shoots softly but the muzzle does come up more than a full size gun.

I thought the sigma/sd were Glock twins so surprised to hear he didn't like the Glock but approved the S& W.

How about a Ruger GP100? Big easy shooter with more than enough power. Limited capacity vs a semi but fun to shoot, you can hunt with it, chamber cheap .38 for practice and dead reliable.

VIP Member
    You might want to do some checking before investing in the gun. Not sure what minimum age in LA is to possess a handgun, but it appears CC minimum age is 21. Also if he is staying on campus, guns (handguns/rifles/shotguns) are not allowed. In fact from what I saw on Handgunlaw.us they are prohibited within 1000 feet of campus.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by john5 View Post
    None..... I believe LA like Texas you must be 21 posses a hand gun.
    Wrong ,you must be 21 to buy a handgun and handgun ammunition,a family member can gift you a handgun,Tx allows 18 yoa serving in the military to possess a CHL.
    I would recommend either the M&P9 full size or compact,or the XD9 service 4" the grip safety on the XD releases with a normal grip and I have had 0 problems in several thousand rounds and 6 years of shooting one
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

sgb
    The S&W SD is a best bang for the buck in my opinion, it's new trigger design is miles ahead of the Sigma and APEX Tactical even makes a trigger spring kit that further tunes the trigger quite nicely.

"There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

P95
    I'm not downgrading other makes and models of guns...but I love the feel and performance of my Ruger P95. I too didn't like the feel of the Glock....

the full size XDM is very comfortable and accurate. I don't have much experience with the original XD but I like the XDM a lot. I'll be getting one in 45acp soon. 20rds as well in case he goes up against a bus load of bg's.
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/56998

I'm 65. I purchased my first hand gun (Gen 4 G 19) last year and got my CC permit. Fantastic weapon. Easy to carry and 15 rounds of Ranger +p is a good combination, I think.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    If a Glock is out of the question, I'd recommend the M&P. The aftermarket is excellent for these guns. I just don't see the appeal of a Sigma.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links