Carry Gun Size vs. Your Size? [Glock 19/23 vs 26...]

This is a discussion on Carry Gun Size vs. Your Size? [Glock 19/23 vs 26...] within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 6'4 245lbs Glock 26 conceals fine....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carry Gun Size vs. Your Size? [Glock 19/23 vs 26...]

6'4 245lbs Glock 26 conceals fine.

2. Remove Ads

I'm 5'11", 280lbs. Now, while I don't actually look that heavy, and I don't have a big gut (at least not yet), I can't crossdraw or appendix-carry comfortably, so it's strongside IWB or OWB.

I carry either a CZ P-01 or a Sig P239. I prefer the more compact guns for weight, rather than physical size.

Im a lot bigger than you so it wont matter but i carry a 1911 5 or 4 1/4 reason i'm finding i like the 4 1/4 is it don't dig into car seat

but as said above holster and dress approately and you can carry anything

I'm 5'10", 175 lbs. and have no issues concealing a Glock 19 or 23. I carry IWB @ about 4:00 and usually just wear an untucked t-shirt for cover. For that matter, look at my avatar and you'll see all the crap I carry around on a daily basis.

IMO, the biggest factor is making sure you use a high-quality holster and gunbelt (not something you got at Wal-mart).
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

6'1" 160 lbs soaked.

G27 (same dimensions as G26), so far only appendix carry, and this weekend I got a belly band & like it so far. Im pretty darn thin and I find it hard for me to conceal much.

Worn at 3 oclock strong side, or 9 oclock crossdraw, it holds it close enough to where even --I-- cant tell there is anything under my shirt (even when its tucked in) with the standard non-extension magazine. (Again, Im THINNNN & the +2 leaves a tiny lump on the gunside) the belly band is reasonably comfortable, and can be turned either direction, and my particular one, made by Ace has 2 magazine slots opposite of the firearm slot side.
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

Your size, and the size of your weapon have very little meaning. The question is, HOW do you dress? How you dress has much more control over what you can conceal.

I'm 6'2", 280 lbs, and I carry whatever I want, as long as it's a pistol. (Our permit says "Concealed Pistol License), so, no shotguns.

I've carried pistols as small as Bersa .380, and Taurus 617B2, which is a 7 shot, 2" barreled .357 magnum (compact) revolver. I also have and do carry an EAA Witness, full size steel frame .45, Taurus PT92, and I have carried full size Gov't 1911 clone. And all of these are carried in OWB or shoulder holster, except the Taurus revolver. That goes in an Uncle Mikes IWB holster.

It's all in how you dress. If I dress the right way, I could hide a H&K SMG. And no, you wouldn't know it either.

Ssssssssuuuppeeeeeeerrrrrr Thanksss for askinggggg .. hahaha
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

I have to tell you, it's easy to conceal pistols under an Hawaiian shirt. Everyone is so dazzled with the colors, they don't see my gun, even if it prints!

Thanks for the replies! Sounds like although a subcompact would be easier to conceal, a compact should be workable too. The Max Con V looks like it might even be comfortable as far as IWB goes. Nice slim profile. Having a fanny pack holster sounds like it would be convenient sometimes too. Especially for outdoor activities.

I may end up getting both subcompact and compact!

If I'm standing upright, I could probably get away with a t-shirt or hawaiian shirt untucked, without having to wear a jacket.

My question: Wouldn't a pistol make an obvious print if you have to reach over for something though? Or is this just not a problem?

Quote Originally Posted by xeero
    Thanks for the replies! Sounds like although a subcompact would be easier to conceal, a compact should be workable too. The Max Con V looks like it might even be comfortable as far as IWB goes. Nice slim profile. Having a fanny pack holster sounds like it would be convenient sometimes too. Especially for outdoor activities.

I may end up getting both subcompact and compact!

If I'm standing upright, I could probably get away with a t-shirt or hawaiian shirt untucked, without having to wear a jacket.

My question: Wouldn't a pistol make an obvious print if you have to reach over for something though? Or is this just not a problem?
    That depends a lot on what you're wearing. I tend to wear a tucked T under an untucked button shirt, that is usually loose fitting. And since I wear my pistol at about the 3:00 position, it's never been a problem for me.

I'll say again, size of the weapon doesn't really matter as much as what you're wearing to cover it does.

Example, I carry this gun a lot.

The EAA Witness, 4.5" barrel, double stack magazine holds 10 rounds of .45ACP plus one in the tube. It weighs 33 ounces empty. If you've ever seen a CZ75, this is slightly larger.

Glock mini or compact

Well, you've gotten lots of good advice. I found my G27 a bit easier to conceal and my G 23 a bit easier to shoot. Really not all that much difference in size. Your clothing and holster will make all the difference in the comfort of carrying and concealing the weapon. You'll also find you'll need to bit a more aware of how you bend, twist and move about to avoid your gun printing or being inadvertantly exposed.

I've got both an IWB and OWB rig. Both get the job done. Everyone has preferences as for what works the best for them. Only way to tell is to give those a try that you think may suit you. Most everyone has tried different carry options and has gone through a trial and error period ( with a collection of reject holster, belly bags, etc in a drawer, closet or out in the garage. )

Which do I carry most often?? Neither, I like my Kahr K40 the best.
    It is practically the same size as the G27, but I shoot it much better.

My go everywhere gun is my Keltec .380 in a pocket holster. Suits me no matter how I'm dressed.

Good luck in your search for the perfect carry rig for you.

6'2 and 215.

I carry a full size 1911 now, but I have concealed a G17 before. It's now the wife's bedside piece, but a Sparks VM2 makes it nearly disappear. I have no problems concealing my guns under XL t-shirts and size 34 or 36 shorts.
    I'll take a .45 and a large side of JHPs, please.

5'9", 250 (powerlifter build) I carry a G23 all season, and have absolutely no problem hiding it in a Don Hume IWB holster. If the handle length is your issue, try changing the cant of the weapon/holster that you are using. This will usually do the trick.

My wife is 5'4", 120 and she can hide that same Glock just fine using a forward cant (she uses a Desantis Scorpion IWB). Choice of clothing is a big part of hiding a weapon, but I must admit that at my size I can conceal that G23 while wearing shorts and a T-Shirt.

Wow...you guys make me feel like the Jolly Green Giant!!!

Big Texas guy here at 6'7" & 300lbs.

My carries are:

Wilson Professional 4" 1911 in a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2:

or a Springfield XD-45 4" in a Brommeland Max Con V:

or one of my 357mag revolvers:

So size is really not an issue for good concealed carry. You just have to dress aroung your carry rig.
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

I’m 5’7” and about 180 with a stocky build. Kids call me that little big guy. Anyway, I currently carry a Glock 23. I think it’s to thick and will be looking at getting a Kel-Tec P11. I made a kydex holster for it (G23) today so we’ll see if that helps.

I am changing what I wear and find a button up shirt hides it better than a t-shirt. I’ve only been carrying for a month so am a newbie at CCW. I’m still working out the kinks.
    Don't be a fool and die for your country. Let the other sonofabitch die for his.

George S. Patton

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links