Carry Gun Size vs. Your Size? [Glock 19/23 vs 26...] - Page 3

Carry Gun Size vs. Your Size? [Glock 19/23 vs 26...]

This is a discussion on Carry Gun Size vs. Your Size? [Glock 19/23 vs 26...] within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thanks for the replies! I have some time to think about the decision, since I don't have my ccw license yet. I would really like ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks for the replies! I have some time to think about the decision, since I don't have my ccw license yet. I would really like the G19 and I'm thinking of just getting that one first and see how it goes. I wish Glock made single stack pistols. Checked them out in the store and they do look a bit wide. I might look at a Kel-Tec too...

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I'm 5'10" 180. I've carried a Glock 26 for a number of years. I now carry a kahr PM9 or a Glock 36 (Single stack .45).

Quote Originally Posted by xeero View Post
    Have a sort of strange question, but it would really help give me an idea of which handgun to get for carry. I'm considering (for various reasons) a Glock 19, 23 or 26. (G19 and 23 are same size.) As far as concealment, I was wondering out of the people who carry these guns in particular, how big are you (at least height and weight)?

Or if you can give your sidearm's dimensions, that would be great too.

G19 & G23:
    Length: 6.85"
    Height: 5.00"
    Width: 1.18"

G26:
    Length: 6.29"
    Height: 4.17"
    Width: 1.18"

As for me, I'm 5'7" and 140 lbs. I know these are popular models so it would be nice to know what kind of people are carrying them (or firearms of similar size). Also, where do you carry it (IWB, etc.)? Since my frame is on the small side, I'm not sure if even a G19 would be very concealable. Help!!
    I'm 6'6", 325 pounds. Because of this I carry the Glock 17. I plan on changing to the Glock 21 whenever I get the cash, however.
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington

...we are NOT a free people.

I don't own my own gun yet, but I will pipe in here. Just tonite, I was at my dads house, we were looking at guns and such, and I tried on his full size 1911 in a cheap leather holster (one that can fit many models) It was a IWB. (I'm a lefty) I wore it at 9:01. And I couln't believe that I couldn't see it (with untucked t). The main reason I was shocked was that I am about 5'7 and 145 pounds and have about a 30 waist. I was just shocked. just comes to show you that it doesn't matter as much as you thought. I was under the assumption as well that I would need a very small gun to hide on me, but I guess not that small after all.

Me 5'8", 147 lbs, Glock 17 or 26
    Wife ditto (+ or -), Glock 26

Great to see that CCW'ers come in all shapes and sizes! The only handgun I've tried out concealed is a Glock 36, which worked pretty well. It's a single stack .45 ACP, so maybe it's a bit closer to the 1911 frame. I'm thinking I should work out more often too. I'm in decent shape, but I figure having a larger upper body (shoulders, chest and back) would help with concealed carry too.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar

concealment, by definition, is choice of clothing

Quote Originally Posted by xeero View Post
    I'm thinking I should work out more often too. I'm in decent shape, but I figure having a larger upper body (shoulders, chest and back) would help with concealed carry too.
    It's a great life, once you've weakened.

As stated previously in this thread: no matter your shape or size, how you dress is the major factor---for me the key is letting my shirt-tail hang free. I have always dressed that way, and I think that concealing my Wilderness belt is as important as concealing the pistol. Having to keep the tail in would be more challenging. I can conceal the full size G21 IWB under a T-shirt. It's easier to conceal the G27, of course, so that has become my preferred carry; it's easily concealed under a shirt, with or without the +2 extension.

For cooler weather, I can conceal either pistol OWB under a vest.

pax
    My height: 5'4"
    My weight: none of your darn business
    My shape: female hourglass, but the sands are shifting.

I carry a Glock 26, and would not trade it for a larger gun even if I were larger. It's an excellent little shooter, and I have spent many, many happy hours on the range with it. It is as accurate as the larger Glocks, if not more so; Glock really got this one right.

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

I'm 6 feet 200 pounds and carry either my Glock 19 or 26.
    GeorgiaCarry.Org Member
    NRA Member

I am 5-10 145# and carry either a G30 or widebody (Para) 1911 5".
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Height: 5'11"
    Weight: 135 soaking wet with gun on and lead weights in my pockets
    Carry: Glock 19 IWB C-T.A.C.

No problem concealing it for me but since I'm so skinny, I'm always cold and so it's comfortable for me to wear extra clothes...

I carry a Glock 26, and would not trade it for a larger gun even if I were larger. It's an excellent little shooter, and I have spent many, many happy hours on the range with it. It is as accurate as the larger Glocks, if not more so; Glock really got this one right.
    I too carry a Glock 26 and couldn't say it any better...
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Interesting insights --- I just posted a similar thread this morning: http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=15678 I'm about the same size (5'7" 155) and am struggling with my Glock 22 ... Have tried a few different rigs (currently happy with the Blackhawck CQC for OWB) but interested in IWB as well. I decided on the G22 (currently my only pistol) because I wasn't planning on carrying, which changed pretty quickly. Now, am thinking about going to the Glock 27 for concealability but after reading here, maybe it's not necessary ...

Does anyone have experience with the horizontal SOB set up?

i carry a glock 27 on the job. i am not big, but not small. average size. but i like the kel-tec p3at as the overall carry/bug. the smaller the better, you want the gun to be like your car keys, you don't know you have it on you.

G19, 5'11 and 200lbs
    http://www.myspace.com/sgeringer
    SIG SP2009<>XD45 4"<>S&W 638-3<>GLOCK20<>Mossberg Mav88

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links