Here's what I ended up with

This is a discussion on Here's what I ended up with within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, my last thread is for some reason linking to another discussion instead of opening up what I type. Perhaps a mod can delete the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here's what I ended up with

Here's what I ended up with

Well, my last thread is for some reason linking to another discussion instead of opening up what I type. Perhaps a mod can delete the thread "follow up to my what next thread" down below. When I click on it, it takes me to a completely different thread. Tried in two browsers and had the same outcome.

Anyway. In follow up to my what next thread, I decided to get a gun I could should often, with low cost ammo, without having to sit at the reloading bench to get the low cost ammo. I went off of information gathered here on the the forum, and based on my own ideas of what I "need" more so than what I "want". Anyhow, I ended up with a glock 17 Gen 4. I didn't have time to fire it today, but will sometime this week after i've had a chance to go through it, clean it up, etc.

This is my first glock pistol to own, and will only be the second glock that i've ever fired, so I hope that it chooses to play nicely with me.

Here are a couple of pics of it:IMAG0292.jpgIMAG0291.jpg

It is definitely the highest capacity pistol that I own. I laughed a little when I grabbed a 50 round box of Rangers and ended up 1 round short on the third mag that came with the gun.

Anyhow, I varied from the 45 discussed in the other thread, but did end up with a glock Gen 4. My next purchase will be a little ways down the road, but WILL BE a 1911. I'm going to save my pennies for a quality piece, so it will take a few months, but I definitely want to give one a shot. I just felt at the time being that the g17 would be something I'd get more training and practice in with, so that's what I went with. As a side benefit, I think my wife will do well with it also. She shoots my m&p 9c well, but when I'm carrying it, that leaves her at home with a 357 mag and a p220, both of which are out of her comfort zone. So, now, regardless of what I carry, there will be a 9mm at home that she will be able to run.

2. Remove Ads

hbc
    You have good taste in handguns!

That'll be just fine. Good gun.

My favorite pistol that I own.

Congrats on the new Glock...nice choice!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Good gun, and just as ugly as every other glock! At least from your second picture you have some good looking guns to go with it. Hope I am not out of line in saying glocks to me are like the "least attractive" one in the group at the bar, they are reliable, get the job done, and not expensive, but they ain't much to look at. Hope you enjoy it, lots of folks do!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Thanks for the replies / compliments. I didn't realize that picture with the sig, m&p, and sp101 was so blurry. Either way, nothing there that everyone hasn't seen before. The glock is a lot like that benchmade knife it is pictured with. Neither are pretty, but both have good reputations for always doing what they need to do.

Hopefully I'll get to run some ammo through the G17 tomorrow!

I think that is a wise choice to give your wife the option of using the G17 as opposed to the SP101 for HD. I feel much more comfortable with my wife using my G26 as opposed to my SP101. I'm actually thinking of picking up a G17 later this year for HD.

I like my SP101 more than my Glock, but it definately is not as easy for me to shoot well with it as the G26 is, especially with magnums. Can't imagine how my wife would handle it under stress.

I think the comfort level of my wife with the 9mm vs the hotter calibers was the main kicker toward me getting a full size 9mm. She shoots the m&p compact more accurately than a lot of men do. Her speed with it isn't spectacular, but her accuracy is pretty dang good. With the sp101, even loaded down to 38 special +p rounds, she doesn't do as well. She doesn't like the feel of the gun, and the trigger pull (Shooting DA) is pretty stiff for her to handle. I suspect now that the m&p 9c will find itself staying home more as I don't have problems concealing larger frame guns, and I certainly like shooting them better.

Just dry firing the G17 the trigger on it feels pretty decent. My m&p has the DCAEK and the little plunger thing that strengthens the reset of the trigger, and it does get less front sight disturbance during trigger pull than what I see with the G17 (again just dry firing here), but I'm assuming there's some similar trigger kit I can get for the glock that will bring it up to where the m&p is with the apex parts. The G17 won't need any help in the trigger reset strength, that's for sure. I wouldn't mind if it reset a little faster, but again, it's not bad at all.

Time to pick out a holster for it, and see what all I can find on trigger kits!

P95
    Quote Originally Posted by Walk Soft View Post
    My favorite pistol that I own.
    Dang Walk Soft...now if you could just make a holster that could pack all those guns at once.....

P95
    Nice gun....hope it serves you well.

Nice bro. I just got one a few weeks ago as well first glock ever. And i carry a m&p9c lol. We might be connected here. You have ALLSTATE?? hahahaha

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Very Well Done! Good choice!
    Stop whining and go make a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattmann View Post
    Nice bro. I just got one a few weeks ago as well first glock ever. And i carry a m&p9c lol. We might be connected here. You have ALLSTATE?? hahahaha

Sent from my DROID RAZR
    Well Done to you also!
    Stop whining and go make a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattmann View Post

Sent from my DROID RAZR
    HAHA! too funny. I hope it is serving you well. I'm ready to go put some rounds through this one

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links