Range Report on the Sig P938 - Page 2

Range Report on the Sig P938

This is a discussion on Range Report on the Sig P938 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just pick up the new "Sig Extream" P938 a few days ago. I didn't have a chance to fire it that same day but I ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Range Report on the Sig P938

My New SIG-P 938

Just pick up the new "Sig Extream" P938 a few days ago. I didn't have a chance to fire it that same day but I made up for it over the last few days. I got a total of 400 rounds through it now with little to no FTF or FTE issues. Well I take that back... I had 1 FTE with WWB out of 100 rounds, but I think i had a limp wrist on that one. mostly using 115 grain and 1 box of 147 grain. When I got home after the purchase i started to read some range reports about the gun shooting low. When I got to the range the next day mine also was shooting about 2 to 3 inches low at about 25/ft. I got bummed about it so I called sig, they told me they would take it back for review, and if it was indeed shooting low they would change out the sights for a #8 sight (comes with #6) which would raise the front about 2 inches. However they asked me to take it back to the range and put a few more hundred rounds through it and if the problem still existed they would take it back to look it over.
    Well I did.... After I was about through with my first box (still shooting low) the Range Master came over to see what I was shooting, while he was looking at the gun, i was telling him about what was going on with the gun and what sig had said. I asked him to give it a try to see what he thought. Well, at about 28/ft he put 12 rounds in the little 2 1/2 to 3" square that surounds the bullseye. I couldn't believe what i just saw, I have been shooting for 45/years and always thought of myself as a pretty good shot??? well I guess i didnt know as much as i thought i did. As it turns out, the range master has many shooting awards under his belt and holds a national pistol shooting award. So, when he was done he just looked at me and smiled and said.... NOPE!!! your guns fine, but you might want to practice a bit more. Nothing like crushing ones ego... But he did give me a few great pointers while shooting a small fire arm like the P938. They did help me to raise the point of impact, still no where as good as he was but much better then where I was.... I guess I got more work to do..... I Got my Extream for 672.00
    MisterMoo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by imchud View Post
    Just pick up the new "Sig Extream" P938 a few days ago. I didn't have a chance to fire it that same day but I made up for it over the last few days. I got a total of 400 rounds through it now with little to no FTF or FTE issues. Well I take that back... I had 1 FTE with WWB out of 100 rounds, but I think i had a limp wrist on that one. mostly using 115 grain and 1 box of 147 grain. When I got home after the purchase i started to read some range reports about the gun shooting low. When I got to the range the next day mine also was shooting about 2 to 3 inches low at about 25/ft. I got bummed about it so I called sig, they told me they would take it back for review, and if it was indeed shooting low they would change out the sights for a #8 sight (comes with #6) which would raise the front about 2 inches. However they asked me to take it back to the range and put a few more hundred rounds through it and if the problem still existed they would take it back to look it over.
    Well I did.... After I was about through with my first box (still shooting low) the Range Master came over to see what I was shooting, while he was looking at the gun, i was telling him about what was going on with the gun and what sig had said. I asked him to give it a try to see what he thought. Well, at about 28/ft he put 12 rounds in the little 2 1/2 to 3" square that surounds the bullseye. I couldn't believe what i just saw, I have been shooting for 45/years and always thought of myself as a pretty good shot??? well I guess i didnt know as much as i thought i did. As it turns out, the range master has many shooting awards under his belt and holds a national pistol shooting award. So, when he was done he just looked at me and smiled and said.... NOPE!!! your guns fine, but you might want to practice a bit more. Nothing like crushing ones ego... But he did give me a few great pointers while shooting a small fire arm like the P938. They did help me to raise the point of impact, still no where as good as he was but much better then where I was.... I guess I got more work to do..... I Got my Extream for 672.00
    Great story. It took a while for me to adjust. It's definitely not the gun. After conforming to how I should hold it, it shot fine.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by imchud View Post
    ...But he did give me a few great pointers while shooting a small fire arm like the P938. They did help me to raise the point of impact, ...
    Please feel free to share.

picked up my sig p938 nightmare about a month ago and put about 500 rounds through it since then.

i know there's a few reports of it shooting low on youtube (Sig P938 Shoots Low at 21ft - YouTube) but i didn't experience any such thing, and shot well beyond 21'. shot it at 7 yards on day 1 and @ 21 yards on day 2. i'm not the most experienced shooter but when i concentrated at those distances it went where i aimed it and i feel confident with it.

i've read a lot of reports of FTF and FTE problems too, and i did experience some problems at first. first off, i tried the white box 115g winchester ammo and it was pretty horrible. out of 100 rounds i got about 5 FTE and 2 or 3 FTF's... when i had the FTE's it was really jammed in there and i had to pry the casing out. the next 400 rounds of federal american eagle 115g were pretty flawless, i maybe had one or two FTF's in the break-in period with it, but after that 0 problems.

i also shot 35 rounds of 115g hordandy critical defense ammo (after break-in) and had one FTF... overall it seemed pretty reliable compared to reports where hollow points were jamming up every other round.

overall all i'm extremely happy with the pistol :)

I have put approx 80 rounds through my P938 of the Walmart White box ammo and 7 rounds of Hornady CD and not one failure of any kind. Mine does shoot low so I called Sig and they sent me a lower front sight to have installed. They are easy to deal with and great customer service.

I put mine on a rest to see where it hit. Mine were fine.

The P938 is a tough gun for me beyond 15 yards, though. I might get a trigger job.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

One issue I think affects it "shooting low" is the top of the trigger is hinged on a pin. As the trigger is pressed, it doesn't go rearward, it hinges slightly downward, which I think can cause a shooter to pull low. If you really concentrate on eliminating this factor, I think most will find it shoots fine.

Ah, I'm glad I read this....I was shooting Winchester 115 grain white box, and had 4 failures to eject with my 938 Nitemare.. The defensive ammo worked flawlessly, and the failures all happened with the same magazine. The other mag didn't hiccup at all.

I just won't run that ammo in there. I should be fine....

Thanks for the report. It's always good to hear I'm not the only one with problems, and that the problems are pretty easily fixed...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links