P238 vs. LCR vs 642

P238 vs. LCR vs 642

This is a discussion on P238 vs. LCR vs 642 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First of all I am new here, great site! I am about to start carrying and am looking for a smaller pistol I can either ...

View Poll Results: which one?

Voters
125. You may not vote on this poll
  • P238

34 27.20%
  • LCR

35 28.00%
  • airweight

56 44.80%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: P238 vs. LCR vs 642

P238 vs. LCR vs 642

First of all I am new here, great site!

I am about to start carrying and am looking for a smaller pistol I can either pocket carry or carry IWB. I already have a G23, therefore I am looking for something smaller for summer/warm weather carry as I live in FL. After weeks of research and visiting many shops I have pretty much decided on either the p238 (I will add Hogue grips and the extended mag) or LCR. I like the LCR in my hand over the 642, but one of the guys I was talking to in a store was saying that you can't go wrong with a .38 smith, and kept trying to persuade me to purchase it...

The p238 is my favorite, I love the way it feels in my hand (with hogue grips) and pocket. The only thing keeping me from going ahead and purchasing it is that it is a .380...but they say the best CCW is the one you will always carry, and I can say I would almost always have this pistol even with the glock. The LCR would come in second...

before someone suggests the p938, it is pretty expensive in my area, thus I would probably go with a shield then that leaves me with something very similar to my glock (size wise) that I cannot throw in my pocket easily and I am not going to change my wardrobe to all 5.11 gear to accommodate the larger frame...

please talk me into/out of either of these pistols...

ETA: I have no preference of either .38 or .357 LCR, the .357 is more attractive as I can shoot either .357 or .38 (I would most likely carry .38 as my other .357smith revolver has some kick and has a 3" barrel)

I have no experience with the p238 but I really like my LCR .38. I also have a LC9 that I carry as well. It is a little heavier than the revolver but packs more of a punch. Main question is do you prefer a semi or a wheel gun.

I would go for the LCR. It is a good primary and BUG. I would also pick the 38 because it is 5 oz lighter.
    10thmtn likes this.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

i voted for the lcr,weighs only 13.50ozs,excellent trigger,Hogue Tammer grips and you have the power of .38+p in your front pocket..works great with a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster..

Normally I would say 642, but because you like the feel of the LCR better... that's your choice.

I had a sneaking suspicion that the LCR would win...

I got a P238 6 weeks ago. Before that, I was carrying a Colt Mustang. (Darn near the same gun) The Mustang, my primary carry for 6 years, is a bit thinner and I like its feel in my hand a little better. BUT, the night sights on the P238 are a deal breaker. They are very easy to see at night, they do not require light to charge them, they just always glow.. or will for 14 years I'm told. This is the first time I've felt like I would be dead sure of a 15 foot plus shot hitting the mark in total darkness. Did I say the Night Sights are great? Both pistols are primarily front pocket carry for me, although I have belt holsters for both, I won't use them for cc because if I'm able to wear a belt holster, then I carry a Colt Defender. I prefer the 45 to the 380's, but I can only carry the larger gun in cooler months. I live in Houston. Too Hot for Clothes. I have cleaned and oiled the Mustang and put her under lock and key (gasp). The Sig is my constant companion now. (er, was I ramblin')
    Just my views..
    I've never been comfortable with a revolver in my pocket. Too bulky and the balance seems off for pocket carry for me, but that's just me. Since I haven't owned a LCR, I'm got going to praise or dis aprove
    Foo909 likes this.

Sounds like you already know what you want to buy
    "I like the LCR in my hand over the 642" so that narrow down to
    LCR or P238 in the caliber of your choice & then you say
    "The p238 is my favorite" so,,,, from what I read I would say P238 is
    what you want,,,,, so buy the P238.

I have an lcr .38 and I'm very pleased with it. I highly recommend it

Distinguished Member
    My GF and I both chose the P238 for every day carry. While the 380 round may lack the punch of larger calibers, the compact size of 380 pistols makes every day concealed carry easier for many people. The P238, being more "substantial" than most other pocket pistols, is quite pleasant to shoot... even after a couple hundred rounds, making it easier to spend quality time that leads to better proficiency.

One thing to bear in mind is the P238's 1911-like manual of arms requires proper practice to develop safety selector muscle memory. If you've got experience with Browning design pistols it should be no problem... If not, it's easy to learn.

Best of luck with whatever you choose and welcome to the group!
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

LCR
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

VIP Member
    Welcome to our site. I am a fan of the S&W but all three are fine choices.

After handling the P238 and S&W 442 I hands down I went with the P238. The trigger is far superior, I believe the gun is lighter despite what specs say, I prefer 6+1 to 5 shots, the sights are much better, it's much thinner and easier to pocket carry. I can't express my feeling about recoil but I would say the P238 recoils less.

The only downside is the price difference. I cannot comment on the LCR.

I voted for the P238 because that is what you like. I have both the P238 and the LCR. I carry the LCR more often because it does not move around in my front pocket like the P238. I like to shoot the P238 more because it has less recoil and do carry it IWB on occasion when my wife does not grab it first.
    Laus Deo

Those who are willing to trade freedom for security will have neither.
    You alone are responsible for your defense.

SIG. Flat, accurate, reliable, and it's a SIG.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links