New Springfield Armory 9mm

This is a discussion on New Springfield Armory 9mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Did someone post this here and I missed it? If so, sorry, if not, grab a look at this: http://www.springfield-armory.com/pr...1911-emp.shtml I thought I was done ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Springfield Armory 9mm

New Springfield Armory 9mm

Did someone post this here and I missed it? If so, sorry, if not, grab a look at this:
    http://www.springfield-armory.com/pr...1911-emp.shtml
    I thought I was done buying 9mms when I got my M&P the other day, but I have a bit of a 1911 fetish, and this thing looks neat. I'm thinking the downsizing will make the 9 reliable compared to the full size gun using a 9mm.
    I'm already looking for something to sell....

2. Remove Ads

I saw that lastnight, it looks pretty cool.
    I wonder if stock 1911 parts will fit it?

Lead Moderator
    Intresting. Hopefully they will work better than the issues had with .45 ACP micros. Looks great, but I am not sure the size will matter all that much, just nice for those who like .40, 45 GAP, 9mm.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

In order to shrink down the frame and slide of the 9mm EMP Springfield engineers had to redesign a total of 15 different parts to accommodate the change and enhance the 1911's performance specifically for short-action pistol cartridges.
    Whirlwind, from that, I'd say that not much will interchange. It's really a whole new gun in many ways...think Star BM size or that is what I'm picturing. I think there is a good possibility that the gun will or is at least meant to solve the problems reported with many Micros (or short .45s of any breed). The gun, being downsized, has a shorter stroke that is (possibly and I hope) more in tune with the shorter OAL of the 9mm. Slide weight and all the other things that go into timing would also be affected. Being skeptical and NOT being an engineer, I don't know, but I really HOPE it will work out. I don't know if I want to be a guinea pig for the first ones, but it won't take much to convince me.

VIP Member
    At first when read Springfield's product page, I thought, "the STI BLS 9" is got to be smaller....it's not.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Senior Member Array ssssthesnake's Avatar
    they didnt say what it will cost

ive been trying to locate one for several days now and nobody can tell me anything on it. since springfield cant even seem to produce a champion (that ive been looking for now for several months!) i dont expect to see any new designs from them anytime soon.

SA states that like 15 parts were redesigned for this pistol so I am sure regular 1911 parts will not fit. I have also heard it will go for about $1200. Personally I prefer the Kimber Aegis which is a small 9mm that was just released. It is cheaper and IMO offers better carry features such as a melt job and bobbed hammer, slimline ball milled grips and no ambi safety. It also has frontstrap checkering which the SA does not as well as an undercut trigger guard. It will run around $900 or so. I am not sure if it is the same size or smaller than the Ultra size Kimbers but I have heard it is thinner. Either way an Ultra Kimber is easy to conceal and carry plus if it were the same size it would use standard 1911 parts. Here is the Aegis. This gun is available right now. I have seen a couple or range reports and they sated the gun worked without malfunction. Also the SA will only be available in 9mm not .45GAP or .40.
    Last edited by yellowv; September 16th, 2006 at 02:58 PM.

I actually handled the 45 GAP Defender prototype at the 2005 NRA convention. Biggest difference between this and a standard 1991 was that the grip is slightly smaller front to back than a standard 1991 thus better fits smaller hands. It actually felt very good in my hand.

Ready for this ?

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    Did someone post this here and I missed it? If so, sorry, if not, grab a look at this:
    http://www.springfield-armory.com/pr...1911-emp.shtml
    I thought I was done buying 9mms when I got my M&P the other day, but I have a bit of a 1911 fetish, and this thing looks neat. I'm thinking the downsizing will make the 9 reliable compared to the full size gun using a 9mm.
    I'm already looking for something to sell....
    Wed Pm on Guns and Ammo TV Leatham shows and shoots this new 9MM as a rohrbaugh guy (my Carry) I am hot -I email Springfield -thety respond that they don't know what I am referring to????So I catch the show and get more details and email them again ----------now I saw your post and used the link ----------and suddenly it is on thier web site -SOOOO how come they didn't know about it ?????????? Very Strange!

Quote Originally Posted by Emjimb View Post
    Wed Pm on Guns and Ammo TV Leatham shows and shoots this new 9MM as a rohrbaugh guy (my Carry) I am hot -I email Springfield -thety respond that they don't know what I am referring to????So I catch the show and get more details and email them again ----------now I saw your post and used the link ----------and suddenly it is on thier web site -SOOOO how come they didn't know about it ?????????? Very Strange!
    Is it just me or was this post as hard to read as a Chinese dictionary?

Seems clear enough to me

Quote Originally Posted by yellowv View Post
    OK, it's not Chaucer, but it seems clear enough to me. Guy sees a show where Rob Leatham is showing this new gun.

He currently uses a Rohrbaugh as a carry gun, so is very interested in a new compact 9mm on the market.

Contacts Springfield who claim to know nothing.

So, he watches the show in detail and takes note of some pertinent details. Emails Springfield again, including the link from the OP. Now Springfield has info on their website.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowv View Post
    First as a new member,please allow me to say "Thank you Fragman"
    Now as to your comments ,Sir. I do tend to think in what is appropriately know in intellectual circles as a "stream of consciousness"method.It has been reported that members of Mensa have a abnormally high predication for this method of thought process and analysis.I further might add, that I do type with just a few digits and find it frustrating that I just can't keep up .The physiological methodology involves hand to eye coordination that is too slow for my brain to encompass,thus forcing a tendency to skip words and punctuation ---however it would appear that an individual of sound mind ,such as Fragman could easily interpret such flaws and still be able to ascertain the intended meaning therein.So in closing Sir,if perchance you find anything here that would not be clear to you ,I would recommend that you Google the words that contain too many letters for you ,My Regards!

For a guy who claims to think like a Mensa member, you sure aren't smart enough not to make an enemy when someone is just joking around.

I like the look of this new little gun by the way. Sure would like to actually hold one.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Actually I fully understood what you were saying in both of your posts. I just find it frustrating that it took me longer to read the very short first post than it did the much longer second one. I guess I'm just not up to Mensa standards.

Edited to add my apologies. I did understand what you meant but for some reason had to be a bit of a smartass. There really was no reason to say anything.
    Sorry if I offended you.
    Last edited by yellowv; September 17th, 2006 at 01:24 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links