Pain is the ultimate teacher..my latest range trip!

This is a discussion on Pain is the ultimate teacher..my latest range trip! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I'd always heard that about pain, but got a much better demonstration of that on Sat. Like the Stones said, I found that what ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Pain is the ultimate teacher..my latest range trip!

Well, I'd always heard that about pain, but got a much better demonstration of that on Sat. Like the Stones said, I found that what you want and what you need are sometimes different. I finally got a nice range session in after a couple months absense with my carry duo, Ruger SP101 DAO & Glock 26. Now, my SP101 sports a beautifull set of wood Badger boot grips. They're like butter in my hands, nicely rounded, and my pinky finger wraps comfortably under the grip. Since I got the boot grip, I've only put .38+P through it, and literally ten rounds of the short barrel .357 Gold Dots (which are kind of like 'Diet .357 Magnum'). Recoil is a definately more spirited with the boot grip shooting the Gold Dot .357's and even .38+P's compared to the stock rubber grip, and my groups weren't as tight because of it, but nothing to fret about. (or so I thought...)

Well, after reading all about other guys running full house .357 magnums through their SP's on the dang interwebs, I figured 'heck, I'll give that a try!' It's beefier than other snubs and made to take a steady diet of them, so why not? So I get a box of some nice, hot 125 grain Remingtons and head to the range. After a couple of warm-up mags with my Glock that made me feel like a hotshot, I loaded up the SP and squared up on my target. Got a crush grip, squeezed the trigger, and BANG!!! It didn't jump out of my hand or anything, but it recoiled back against the web of my hand, thumb, pinky, and along my palm so much more violently than I was used to. After the first 10 rounds, my hand was starting to send signals to my brain saying "What are you doing?" After I hit 20, my hand was getting a little tingly, and bruised around the web and thumb. Interwebs be damned, full house .357's are definately alot of power for ME to handle with a short, polished, wood boot grip on this gun!

However, being a glutton for punishment, instead of putting it down and saving the rest of the magnums for another day, I blew through the rest of the box. I did take periodic breaks with the G26 though, whose groupings were opening up a good bit as my hand weakened... Because I like to also practice one handed shooting with both my left and right I did so with the magnums. Aside from the pain in my hands, this was almost fun because it was so difficult to do so with any real accuracy, especially left handed. I could keep it on the target, usually, but placement was good n' random! I'm guessing if it was this hard on the range with these grips, reality in a gunfight will be a whole nother story.

I left the range a wiser man. What looks and feels great on a gun, might not actually work the best once you start sending rounds off. I don't want to relegate the SP101 to .38's only, and if the stock rubber grips let me shoot .357's in more comfort, then so be it. Plus, I can even get all four fingers on the grip. I slapped them back on the gun when I got home! My pretty, $60 boot grips will have to sit in the closet for now...

Can't wait to get back to the range with more full house .357's and try it again with the stock rubber grips. Maybe Ruger knew something I didn't!

I haven't tried any different grips on my SP101, but I have a friend how has tried a few different sets. He stuck with the hogue set for a good while as they are larger than the stock grips and he felt they helped with recoil a bit. However, the last time I saw him, he had the factory grips back on his SP101 as he said they conceal better than the hogues. I carry magnum loads in mine when i'm carrying it away from the house. However, when i'm indoors I have 38 special +P rounds in it.

Sorry the "nicer" grips didn't work out for ya!

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    I learned the same lesson with my model 60 a few years ago. I carry and shoot .357 magnum so I tried to tough it out but finally gave in and got some hogues.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

The lesson for 357 shooters (thanks Deadguy):

With a 13 ounce j-frame I keep a loose shoulder, loose elbow, firm grip & wrist. The recoil is SO much easier to handle like that. Don't fight it, go with it...
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Recoil effects certainly are cumulative too. I once took a lunch hour to go to a nearby range so I could practice with a .44 Magnum revolver for a deer hunt the next day. I returned to the office (was a bank loan officer) and my right hand was so frogged I could hardly grasp the pen in order to write up a loan memo later that afternoon. I was embarrassed for myself. I had previously used that same revolver and load in hunter pistol silhouette competition and didn't remember it having such an effect.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    One thing to remember - every time you shoot a punishing load, it's continuous reinforcement that you will experience pain. You will be prone to developing a "flinch."

I try not to shoot guns that put hurt out on both sides. I have some SW 60's and 640's with tactical grips. With the backstrap exposed on these little snubbies the .357's are manageable for 10 - 20 rounds in .357, but that's it for me. My hand is fine, but I catch myself starting to anticipate the recoil.

I carry .38's, and occassionaly shoot .357's to remind me why I carry .38's.
    sgb and Philly Boy like this.

You are following a familiar path, Mr. DustyBottoms. We all have our list of priorities and at the top of my list is ease of concealment so I have been running the boot grip on my LCR. This smaller grip has ruled out the hotter loads because they have given me tissue injury - enough to compromise my ability to wield the weapon properly and practice within my schedule. Early on I ruled out the full house .357s with the boot grip and most recently I have found the Buffalo Bore .38 +P LSWCHP to be too snarky with the boot grip. Those darn BBs gave me an injury to the medial aspect at the base of my thumb which is behaving much like a "hip pointer", a traumatically induced condition that I am only recently recovering from after several months of compromised mobility and chronic pain. I find little use in pursuing a round that will hinder my joy of shooting - well, maybe an over the top load occasionally just to keep me honest.

So, yah, set your priorities, check off your compromises and have fun shooting!

In my view, full-powered .357 Magnum is best served up in N-Frame Smith & Wesson revolvers or Ruger Blackhawks. A K-Frame Smith & Wesson is at least tolerable.

No stunted .357 Magnum runt revolvers for me.
    wmhawth and sgb like this.

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Amen to the "No stunted .357 Mag runts". The SP101 is the smallest I consider for Magnum loads. As for Badger grips on the SP101, nothing works better for me than the grips that came stock.
    Attached Images

I really like the factory SP101 grips. For a little flash, I put wood inserts in mine and it didn't impact shootability at all. I can shoot it all day long with full house 357s and it isn't a problem.
    Attached Images
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I wonder if HotGuns ever gets a froggy hand?

Five pound 12 ga. for fast pheasant loads? Anyone?

Buler?

Full strength .357 mag in a SP-101. Controlled chaos, gotta love 'em. Helps clear your sinuses too.

Edit: Friends don't let new shooter friends shoot .357 in SP-101
    Philly Boy likes this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Now the SP 101 isn't the worst revolver for use with full-powered .357 Magnum ammunition. It feels much like touching off same in a 2 1/2-inch Model 19 Smith & Wesson. The Ruger grip is pretty nicely designed. While one knows he's lit the fuse on a handful, the revolver is controlable and tolerable. It's these plastic-y, scandium, aluminum alloy Smith & Wesson J-Frames and Ruger LCRs I'm thinking about.

Good thing we've all gathered here to define and debate the market considerations.

I think the factory grip on the SP101 is actually one of the better OEM grips. It feels good in hand, conceals well, and handles the recoil well. They even give you a panel that you can customize the look without impacting function. What more could you ask for in a grip?
    wmhawth and mprp like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links