Sadder but wiser!

This is a discussion on Sadder but wiser! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here's the scoop: In a very weak moment, I traded my beloved G19 for a P226. I no sooner got home and could have kicked ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Sadder but wiser!

Sadder but wiser!

Here's the scoop: In a very weak moment, I traded my beloved G19 for a P226. I no sooner got home and could have kicked myself. What a doofus! Then I spent a good deal of the last two weeks contacting the other guy and trying to make a deal to get back "my" 19. Well, I pick it up today(YAAAY!) minus a few bucks, but what the hay, I've got back my " beloved." Don't ask why I ever got rid of it; I'm no psychiatrist, but let this be a warning to you who have a "beloved" firearm, no matter the brand:KEEP IT!!
    The lost sleep over two weeks and the anguish--- yes the anguish--- were not worth it EXCEPT I now have the G19 to go with the little brother, 26. All's well that ends well. Have a great FOURTH!
    OD* likes this.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

2. Remove Ads

Congrats on getting your G19 back! I'm a G19 guy myself.

BYW, in a moment of foolishness, I traded away a perfect G26 for my S&W 642. I love the 642, but I should have just bought it outright and kept the Glock. Lesson learned.
    Philly Boy likes this.

VIP Member
    I'm actually quietly shopping for yet another G19 (Gen3).

It was my primary carry last summer, and once again has assumed this role (even over the G26). It's just something that really works for me.
    Guest1 and Ranger45 like this.

With guns I don't see any reason to trade or sell one you already have. Just keep it, we're only talking a few hundred bucks. With motorcycles ... well, that's a different matter. I'd love to keep my Softail and buy a Victory CCT but at around $25K and my 'tail worth 8-9K, I just don't know.
    Badey and shockwave like this.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    I have shot several buddies sigs and just don't feel the love for them. Not really a glock guy but the one I have will nt be traded off for a sig . Glad you happy with your old glock.

Quote Originally Posted by oldrwizr View Post
    With guns I don't see any reason to trade or sell one you already have. Just keep it, we're only talking a few hundred bucks. With motorcycles ... well, that's a different matter. I'd love to keep my Softail and buy a Victory CCT but at around $25K and my 'tail worth 8-9K, I just don't know.
    I agree. I never sell or trade any guns; I just work more and save $$ until I have enough to get the one I want. I know this doesn't work for everyone, but I get very attached to my guns and have a hard time parting with them.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    I agree. I never sell or trade any guns; I just work more and save $$ until I have enough to get the one I want. I know this doesn't work for everyone, but I get very attached to my guns and have a hard time parting with them.
    Exactly. I actually went a couple years without carrying the G19, and then suddenly "re-discovered" it again last summer. It's nice to have options.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    I've had my G19 since August of 1993. It's the first gun I have ever bought for myself. I could never part with it, my son will get it some day.
    Philly Boy and zonker1986 like this.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

mkh
    What was the problem? Didn't like the 226 or was the G19 just an old friend you couldn't let go of.
    Philly Boy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    Works for me.

Yep, traders remorse!

I've been toying with the idea of trading my big heavy hog leg S&W 686+, 7 shot, .357, 6" barrel I use for home defense, with CT laser sights, for a Ruger SP101.

Unless you wear a parka it's hard to conceal and from the weight I'm tilted when I walk

Then again, short of my AR and Remington 870 Express, it's a great home defense weapon, and not much for a good ccw choice.
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

I was ready to trade or sell my Glock 23 and had even posted a classified ad for it. I just wanted something with a better grip that I could enjoy shooting.

I tried a few different range guns and the only ones that I could shoot better than my Glock was a 1911 that costs twice and much and wasn't as reliable as my Glock.

Then I picked up a G20 and G21 and realised that my error was getting a compact Glock instead of a large frame. The G23 finger humps sit under my fingers instead of between them. I just couldn't get a comfortable grip. I don't know why I didn't notice that before I bought it. The G20 and G21 (Gen 3) grips fit my hands and felt good. At first I thought I would trade my G23 for a G20/G21, but then I realised that I should keep it for CC and just grind off the finger humps. Also, I had to consider that I had extra mags and three holsters for my G23 as well as a trigger job and Tru-Glow TFO sights.

Now that I have ground off the finger humps, I think this one is going to be with me for life. I know I ruined the resale value but I just didn't care. My next purchase will be either a G20 or G21.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

good serves you right

We've all had moments of weakness,and done something that we regret,we have to learn to never repeat our stupid moves.
    Philly Boy likes this.

sgb
    I've had two G19's and try as I might I just could not get to like them. I have two P 226's and they're not going anywhere.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links