Used Kahr PM9 problems ??????? >>>>>>>

Used Kahr PM9 problems ??????? >>>>>>>

This is a discussion on Used Kahr PM9 problems ??????? >>>>>>> within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So earlier this year around March 2012 I purchased a used Kahr PM9 DLC. I got it for a very good price as the LGS ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Used Kahr PM9 problems ??????? >>>>>>>

Thumbs up Used Kahr PM9 problems ??????? >>>>>>>

So earlier this year around March 2012 I purchased a used Kahr PM9 DLC. I got it for a very good price as the LGS said that the previous owner which was suppose to be a seasoned shooter may have had problems with it such as FTE, etc. and just wanted me to be aware. Well I have put in over 200+ rounds through it without any problems. Weird huh ??? Sometimes I wonder if some of these people that try and shoot these small and light guns and have problems with it, end up selling it, then bad mouth it, just do not know how to shoot these small guns ??? So far I like this gun so much I have installed some XS BigDots on it !!! God Bless

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by VBVAGUY View Post
    Sometimes I wonder if some of these people that try and shoot these small and light guns and have problems with it, end up selling it, then bad mouth it, just do not know how to shoot these small guns ???
    Stop wondering, its fact. I've picked up a few "lemons" at a good price.
    "Just blame Sixto"

pm9
    You have no lemon. Most smaller guns require some basic firearm knowledge to make function perfectly. Your Kahr PM9 is one of the best firearms on the market. Mine works flawlessly with any loads. I trust it, and carry it, on a regular basis. If you do have questions, the people over at KahrTalk Forums - Powered by vBulletin
    will be of help. Enjoy your great pistol.

It's a Kahr, so any malfunction must be the user's fault. I'd really like to know "how" you shoot a small gun, that's different than how you shoot a bigger gun.

Maybe the previous owner used different ammo than you did? Small guns tend to be ammo picky. My PM9 runs fine on 124 gr EFMJ but choked several times on 147 gr Gold Dots. It works with the 6-rd mag, but chokes with the 7-rd mag. Yup...must be me. Never mind that this is a known issue...

Some folks will try different ammo to find the one that the gun "likes." Others will experience issues and not bother to try to diagnose the issue, because their faith in the reliability of the gun is broken.

Hard to say what happened to the original owner of that particular PM9.

Do you know that gun's round count? If not, you might want to replace the recoil spring as a precaution. Should be replaced every 1000 rounds (different techs at Kahr gave me different advice, from 1000 to 1500 round intervals...to be safe I recommend every 1000). My first PM9 started giving me failures to go fully into battery issues at ~1400 rounds.

Glad you're liking your PM9. But the fact is that there are real design..."compromises"...with the gun, and some run fine and others do not. The feed system, in particular, is crazy...there is significant vertical and horizontal play in the top round in the magazine. There is no other gun maker out there that I am aware of that allows this much play in the top round while in the feed lips.

Maybe it is fairer to say that some folks are willing to put up with the drama that can come from some smaller semi autos - and others are not. After 4 Kahrs myself, including 3 PM9s, I'm nearing the end of my tolerance.

Here's to hoping yours is better...
    DoctorBob likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by VBVAGUY View Post
    ... used Kahr PM9 DLC ... Well I have put in over 200+ rounds through it without any problems. Weird huh ??? Sometimes I wonder if some of these people that try and shoot these small and light guns and have problems with it, end up selling it, then bad mouth it, just do not know how to shoot these small guns ?
    Myself, I've been through two PM9's and three P380's. Purchased all of them new. None worked extremely reliably, though the first PM9 wasn't nearly as bad as all the rest. Over the years, I've shot dozens of different pistols and none have been as cranky as the Kahr PM's that I have tried. Compare that to the KelTec P3AT, which was highly reliable. In general, I've found the tiny pistols to be more finicky than their larger brethren, though many have had good experiences with them.

Glad you found one of the good ones.

Quote Originally Posted by pm9 View Post
    You have no lemon. Most smaller guns require some basic firearm knowledge to make function perfectly.
    Sure, some. But when numerous others with varying experience fire the same guns with the same ammo, over a wide, wide range of ammo, time and again repeating similar performance failures, then it's hard to believe "skill" has much to do with it. Every gun's different, as is every shooter and every ammo/gun combination. I tend to be extremely hard on a gun during it's break-in phase, and persistent through ultra-long break-in periods with a wide variety of ammo (spending far, far more than justified attempting to get them running). I wish it weren't so, the PM9 and P380 formats being hard to beat in terms of weight, flatness and overall ease of concealment IMO.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    I love my CM9, works very well. It's a well made gun, go shoot the heck out of yours and have fun with it!
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

I picked up a NEW PM9 a month ago. Took it to the range the day I bought it and put 100 rounds through it. Ran Okay, but outa 100 rounds the slide locked back three, or four different times. Now by locked back I don't mean to say that the slide lock engaged and locked the slide back prematurely. The slide was actually binding up in the rearward position. It didn't stay bound-up for more than a second or two, but it caused more than a little concern. Kinda funny feeling to see my new little $800 pocket pistol run in slow motion, but it real time; I'm not Neo after all.

Anyway, took the little *itch home and cleaned and polished the "MATCH GRADE BARREL" and racked the pooh outa the sucker and put it away until the next range trip. Last week had my 15 year old nephew in town for the week so I took him out to give a few of my pistols a workout. Here he is after a couple of mags. Pretty good for first time and no sights.

I finished breaking the PM9 in and what I did to the barrel seemed to fix the problem, but I was way more accurate with my CM9 over my PM9, go figure... Oh well, I installed the optional night sights on my CM9, so IMO, the CM series is just as good as the PM series.

He had a good time and so did I. Great kid and after the day at the range, he's a die hard 1911 fan. Outa all of the ones I took to the range, the New PM9 included, he really took a liking to the Colt New Agent. Here's a pick of the ones he liked the best, but in the end he said the Colt was his favorite.

Back to the topic at hand... PM9. Kinda disappointed in mine even after a flawless day of performance. Bottom line for me; when a four hundred dollar gun out performs a eight hundred dollar one, somethings not right. I'm not gonna rag on it too much, but right now it's sitting in the safe and the CM9 is my Kahr of choice.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    It's a Kahr, so any malfunction must be the user's fault. I'd really like to know "how" you shoot a small gun, that's different than how you shoot a bigger gun.
    What 10 said.

It seems like Kahr (and Ed Brown) fans are a little quicker to point to shooter error than to think the boys in Mass. might not be on their QC toes quite like they should be. I can't figure this out. If you have one that shoots, be glad. If someone has a problem, your good luck does not necessarily mean the shooter with the problem is riding the slide release or "limp wristing". It seems to me that all the little ones are cranky, and not just Kahrs. My problem was with a CM9 (it had to go back for a new slide) and during that process I did a lot of reading. I badly wanted a 9mm pocket pistol, and I wanted the CM9 to be it. I found that there seem to be a lot of Kahrs going back to the factory, more than can be explained by "disappointed buyers post more".

I like the Kahr design. It's fun to shoot and am happy to find a pistol I can carry in my front pocket. Mine is shooting like it should have first time out of the box, and I would put myself in the "happy Kahr owner" column now. But I don't assume shooter error when somebody complains about a Kahr. I assume that this is another one that got by their less-than-what-it-could-be QC at the factory. Kahr is not the only manufacturer that could improve in this area.

Wel I just got back from the range with my Kahr PM9 DLC and shot another 50 problem free rounds through it. I even had a friend try a few mags worth and no problems for him either. Also FYI I know some people have had problems with their 7 round mag, but mine seem to be working fine as I have not had any problems with them either. Another thing is that I really like the XS BigDots that I have on my PM9. Really easy to pick up. I just wanted to share my range session. God Bless

I've had mine for a few months now and absolutely no problems!!! I too believe that most guys just pick up the gun, wipe it off and go shoot it. That's a recipe for disaster. On top of that, you need to read the manual completely. I was at a LGS a few weeks back when a small old lady was getting tips on how to load the gun from a salesman....boy was he way off base. It's not a Glock, M&P, etc. It's a micro Kahr.

Quote Originally Posted by pm9 View Post
    If you do have questions, the people over at KahrTalk Forums - Powered by vBulletin
    will be of help. Enjoy your great pistol.
    ......... and have a ball with them fan boys. ...... lol

Quote Originally Posted by hardscrabble View Post
    What 10 said.

It seems like Kahr (and Ed Brown) fans are a little quicker to point to shooter error than to think the boys in Mass. might not be on their QC toes quite like they should be. I can't figure this out. If you have one that shoots, be glad. If someone has a problem, your good luck does not necessarily mean the shooter with the problem is riding the slide release or "limp wristing". It seems to me that all the little ones are cranky, and not just Kahrs. My problem was with a CM9 (it had to go back for a new slide) and during that process I did a lot of reading. I badly wanted a 9mm pocket pistol, and I wanted the CM9 to be it. I found that there seem to be a lot of Kahrs going back to the factory, more than can be explained by "disappointed buyers post more".

I like the Kahr design. It's fun to shoot and am happy to find a pistol I can carry in my front pocket. Mine is shooting like it should have first time out of the box, and I would put myself in the "happy Kahr owner" column now. But I don't assume shooter error when somebody complains about a Kahr. I assume that this is another one that got by their less-than-what-it-could-be QC at the factory. Kahr is not the only manufacturer that could improve in this area.
    Well said. Had a PM9 which ran 100% but plating on barrel chamber flaked, my experience with Kahr fixing it was a big disappointment - they did replace the barel alright, no issue there. anyway I decided to get it sold.

2 summers later I desperately needing a summer gun, nothing out there had better form factor than Kahr or just full of useless safety features, so... bought my self a CM9, again, been 100%, few more weeks later bought another, a CW9 which has also been 100%.

I only regard myself just being lucky, buying a Kahr is like a luck of draw.... And I find it very AMUSING to read how them fan boys defend the brand.

I have a used Kahr PM9 on its way. It is Serial Number IA22xy (left off last two numbers for confidentiality)
    It was Purchased New on 02/17/09. I will be the second owner. First owner says he ran though about 500 rounds and has never had a problem....

I used to like my Kahr CM9 its accurate and concealable.

HOWEVER:
    I have broken two magazine followers and the guide rod punched through the front of the gun on my last shooting trip so I have lost confidence in it as a carry gun. I was told by several reliable sources they are great guns but I am not so sure

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post

Maybe the previous owner used different ammo than you did? Small guns tend to be ammo picky. My PM9 runs fine on 124 gr EFMJ but choked several times on 147 gr Gold Dots. It works with the 6-rd mag, but chokes with the 7-rd mag. Yup...must be me. Never mind that this is a known issue...

Some folks will try different ammo to find the one that the gun "likes." Others will experience issues and not bother to try to diagnose the issue, because their faith in the reliability of the gun is broken.

Hard to say what happened to the original owner of that particular PM9.

Do you know that gun's round count? If not, you might want to replace the recoil spring as a precaution. Should be replaced every 1000 rounds (different techs at Kahr gave me different advice, from 1000 to 1500 round intervals...to be safe I recommend every 1000). My first PM9 started giving me failures to go fully into battery issues at ~1400 rounds.

Glad you're liking your PM9. But the fact is that there are real design..."compromises"...with the gun, and some run fine and others do not. The feed system, in particular, is crazy...there is significant vertical and horizontal play in the top round in the magazine. There is no other gun maker out there that I am aware of that allows this much play in the top round while in the feed lips.

Maybe it is fairer to say that some folks are willing to put up with the drama that can come from some smaller semi autos - and others are not. After 4 Kahrs myself, including 3 PM9s, I'm nearing the end of my tolerance.

Here's to hoping yours is better...
    Now I have seen it all on the internet. This is about the silliest recomendation I have ever seen. Let's tell him to replace parts when his gun is running 100%.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links