Defensive Carry banner

Considering a glock or xdm

24K views 53 replies 42 participants last post by  1911er 
#1 ·
I've been carrying a 1911 for quite a while now. I like it but I'm wanting to add another option to the mix. I want to stay with 45acp so I'm looking at a Glock 30sf or a xdm 3.8 locally. I currently have a Kahr CW45 but it just does not fit me well. In the past I've owned a glock 19 and an xdm 40. Both were nice guns, but neither was carried or intended to do so. One mod I'm looking at for either gun is the installation of TFO sights. Just having trouble justifying the extra dough for the Springfield. Both guns seem to point well for me and the other xd gear does not thrill me.

Very interested in any thoughts you may have.

#2 ·
Honestly, both are great guns. You really cant go wrong with either. I'm partial to Dlock myself because I'm used to the trigger on my 26 and 19 so if it were MY choice I go with the G30.

Reactions: MinisterMalice
#3 ·
I'm not a fan of grip safeties. That's why I lean Glock. I've been thoroughly impressed with Glock's warranty (lifetime, even when you buy used, includes magazines). Don't know about Springfield's policy, I think it's just original owner.

Get what makes YOU happy. Both go boom when you pull the trigger.

#6 ·
I also used to carry my 1911s I switched over to the 9MM glock 26 but I went out of my way to get a G-30 (45). I put upgraded sites on all of my Glocks. See if there are any left over gen 3 Glock 30s. Should be on sale around $450.00. Also there are tons of holsters out there for glocks.

#9 ·
I used to be an XD guy, but realized that my problem with Glock was the standard sights more than anything. Now a G19 with trijicons and a Ghost Ultimate 3.5 lb connector is riding strong side. (yeah, I know, OP is talking .45...flame wars begin!!) Both are good guns and both will run just fine for you. For me the change happened because the lower bore axis in the Glock translated into noticeable difference in felt recoil. But I am no XD hater.

#10 ·
I have little love for glocks these days but I am a steadfast supporter of springfield and am a diehard XD fan. I've owned full sized XDMs in 45 and 9mm(traded the 45 for the 9) and have the 3.8 compact in 45ACP. I posted a range report for the XDM a few days ago but am having trouble relocating it. I would say the XDM over the glock, but not because it's what I like the most. you have owned a glock 19 and like the pricing of glocks over XDMs so that does put the XDM at a disadvantage but you are firing a compact(though the dimensions of the 19 are nearly the same as some service sized pistols I've seen) 9mm and are going to be jumping to an even smaller(I believe so anyways, it's been a while since I looked up the dimensions on glocks) gun with a lot more recoil. on the other hand you have had the XDM40 full sized where 40 S&W has the snappiest recoil and you are jumping down to a lighter gun but it has a less snappy recoil so it pretty much evens out to equal a gun with very similar feel to one already in your collection so transitioning will be a lot smoother and quicker than it would if you bought the glock. also you currently carry a 1911 so the grip safety on the XDMs probably will give you a little more familiarity and peace of mind knowing it's there where with the glock you are just hoping nothing goes wrong and have it go off in the holster.

EDIT: ok found that range report. for the record this is at around 800 round count

#12 ·
Not trying to hijack the post, but it's relevant to your discussion. I am also considering a Glock 30 and I am trying to figure out the difference between a G30 and G30SF. Glock's website shows the specs as almost identical... the only difference is the weight listed... G30 at 23.99 oz and G30SF at 23.81 oz. Is that the only difference?

With that said, I would opt for the Glock if it were between that and an XDM, personally.

#14 ·
the backstrap is slightly shorter near the top, making for a shorter trigger reach. The SF stands for "Short Frame".

#13 ·
I've owned Glocks and XDm's.

I only have Glocks now.

Besides the bore axis and trigger issues mentioned above, I prefer that there is a heck of a lot more aftermarket support for the Glock, the fact that you can change sights yourself without resorting to a BFH or a hydraulic press, and the fact that, for the most part, aftermarket parts a lot cheaper.

And, I tend to shoot Glocks better, as well.

#16 ·
Run it.

Two months ago, I had no use for Glocks. You see, I wasn't an LEO or an actor from Austria. No time in with the FBI, either. I hated the way they looked and certainly despised the way they felt.

Then I shot one.

I now have a Gen 3 32, a Gen 4 23, and tomorrow I will have a Gen 4 19. Let's just say that they shoot a bit better than you might imagine. And Lord, are they FAST! Just make sure you trick 'em out with a good set of sights. I do hold with my original assessment of Glock when it comes to the factory sights: they suck. But a good set of Trijicons (try the HDs) turns it into a whole different animal.

#17 ·
Thanks for the input guys. Took a hard look at both again today. For some reason I keep leaning towards the glock. Has a slightly better natural point for me. Also, the factory mag is just long enough to catch all three of my fingers. On the xdm I would need an extension. Will be a couple weeks before I pick it up. Have to sell/trade the Kahr first. I love my 1911's, but I'm also fascinated by the glock simplicity

#18 ·
The Glock-30 is a GREAT gun, I like mine...don't discount the Glock-36...just pick one up, that's all, just pick one up...you'll love it!:yup:

Reactions: ccman and mwhartman
#21 ·
I've had an XD before and have some Glocks now including a 21. I don't any issues with the trigger on either brand but the XD seems more comparable to a 1911. If this is for concealed carry take into account that the 30 is a very wide gun. I have shot a gen3 30, my gen4 21, and XD45 compact and all are excellent guns. Magazines trend to be cheaper for Glock but you can shoot lead reloads out of the XDM right out of the box. I changed the sights on all of my Glocks with a file punch and hammer, you won't be doing that with an XD. Take a look at YouTube, Hickok45 did a comparison of the XDM 45 and G21 and it may help you out.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#22 ·
I used to be one of the anti-Glockers. I've owned an XD-9 and XD-9sc. I sold them both because the Glock is simply a better handgun for defensive purposes. I did not like the high bore axis or the grip safety on the XD. My fiancee did not like the XD because the slide was REALLY hard to pull back. I liked how the trigger was made out of metal, but disliked the trigger pull.

On the positive side, I never had a misfire of any kind with the XD.

If I had to purchase another striker fired handgun besides a Glock, I probably would opt for the M&P series.

#26 ·
For the record I am a Glock guy but I am also a gun guy and love shooting new guns. I took a XDm 3.8 9mm on a trade because I knew someone that wanted it. I made it a point to shoot it first though. I loved the looks of it (stainless steel slide) and didn't mind the trigger dry firing it along with the different mag options it came with. But........I couldn't hit crap with it and I could not believe the RECOIL it had for a 9mm. I was even use to shooting my G27 .40 and I handled it better than the 3.8 9mm. It was traded without remorse and I now carry a G26(summer) and a G30 SF(winter). The G30SF is a real sweet shooting .45 and I couldn't be happier, not to mention I have a 10mm bbl for it too!

My point is though it's good to have options but get what works for YOU. I am just glad a simple ole Glock is what works for me......

#28 ·
I vote the G30SF.

Then you can get this.

without spending for the G29

I also put Trijicon NS on it.It works awesome for me. Good Luck on your decision.

#29 ·
How about a SIG P220SAO?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.