Good Guns for Small Hands (please read 1st post carefully)

This is a discussion on Good Guns for Small Hands (please read 1st post carefully) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all, I am composing a list of guns which work well for small hands. In this case, I define "small hands" as hands which ...

Thread: Good Guns for Small Hands (please read 1st post carefully)

Hi all,

I am composing a list of guns which work well for small hands.

In this case, I define "small hands" as hands which easily fit within a ladies' small or medium glove. If your hands are bigger than that, they are not "small hands" for purposes of this question!

If you recommend a gun for the list, I'd like you to also answer the following.

Criteria:

1) Gun fit question (follow the link for pictures if my wording here doesn't make sense). Place the distal crease of your trigger finger on the face of the trigger. Do not pull the trigger back in any way, nor cock the gun (eg DA/SA guns are measured in DA mode). When you wrap the rest of your hand around the gun to attain a firing grip, does the gun's backstrap connect with your hand

a) somewhere along the thumb itself, or
    b) at the base knuckle of the thumb, or
    c) in the web of your hand

2) Gun fit question. Holding the gun as in Question #1, and with your wrist as straight as you can get it, you draw an imaginary line from the muzzle of the gun along the barrel. The line continues indefinitely. Does the line

a) run over your thumb, but no other part of your hand or arm, or
    b) run sorta-kinda along your wrist for a short distance, or
    c) run exactly parallel with your forearm

3) Gun type question. Is the gun a

a) SA revolver
    b) DA revolver
    c) DA or DA/SA semi auto
    d) striker-fired semi auto
    e) SA semi auto

4) Gun type question. Is the gun a

a) revolver
    b) single stack
    c) double stack

5) What caliber is the gun you measured?

6) In your subjective opinion, is the gun's recoil

a) mild (without gloves, you wouldn't mind shooting 100 consecutive rounds)
    b) moderate (without gloves, about 50 rounds would be okay, maybe not more though), or
    c) severe (without gloves, you'd rather not shoot more than 25 consecutive rounds).

7) Note grips & any alterations done to the gun (eg shortened trigger -- brand, grip type -- brand, grip reduction -- gunsmith name)

8) Your glove size is

a) Ladies' small
    b) Ladies' medium

Thanks! I hope this will be a good resource thread for everyone, and I hope to learn some things.

pax
    Last edited by pax; September 16th, 2006 at 07:04 PM. Reason: fiddling with formatting.
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

Answering my own questions with some guns that just happened to be "on hand..."

Glock 26

1: c (perfect)
    2: b (a tiny bit big for me)
    3: d (Striker-fired semi auto)
    4: c (doublestack)
    5: 9mm
    6: a (have frequently shot several hundred in an afternoon)
    7: Extended slide stop lever -- way more comfy for my thumb, and less shifting of hand to reach it. Gun has an internal laser, the now-obsolete frame-installed CT laser.
    8: ladies' medium

KelTec P32

1: c (with lots of room to spare)
    2: c (lines up well with forearm)
    3: c (DA semi auto)
    4: b singlestack
    5: .32 Auto (too small for defense, IMO, but others' opinions vary!)
    6: b (slappy, but not too onerous; after 50 rounds it always needs cleaning anyway...!)
    7: none

Comment: I had the KelTec P3AT for a brief while last spring. It fit my hand the same way as the P32. Chambered in .380 auto, the recoil was so snappy-slappy unpleasant that it took a severe effort of will to fire more than a couple of rounds. Yeowch.

Springfield Armory 1911-A1 (fullsize)

2: b/c (teensy tiny bit big)
    3: e (SA semi auto)
    4: b (singlestack)
    5: .45 ACP
    6: a (I've often put a couple hundred rounds downrange out of this one)
    7: Crimson Trace lasergrips. Extended thumb safety. Short trigger. (Dunno brand names.)

Additional comment: I have to shift my hand around quite a bit to manipulate the slide stop lever, but I can ride the safety if I want to.

Springfield Armory XD9 SubCompact

2: c (perfect) (it pained me to write that ... when my beloved G26 didn't quite measure up!)
    3: d (Striker-fired semi auto)
    4: c (doublestack)
    5: 9mm
    6: a (can and have sent a lot of rounds downrange at one sitting)
    7: bone stock
    8: still ladies' medium

pax
    Last edited by pax; September 16th, 2006 at 08:35 PM. Reason: fiddling formatting... sigh.
    Kathy Jackson

VIP Member
    Got to like your Cornered Cat site. I've stolen some stuff for gunthorp.com (linked back to your site) very entertaining!

The Tacoma PD evaluated lots of pistols, and one test was to put different size hands on the grip, starting with the finger on the trigger and wrapping around. They found that the bore offset (misalignment with the forearm) was least with the single stack 1911 style. For really small hands, I imagine the Kahrs in respectable calibers should work (unscientific guess.)
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Administrator
    I apologize for not having the time to run through all of your questions.
    A few excellent firearms for folks with smaller hands (and limited hand strength) would be the Beretta sub~compact & compact pistols.
    They are fantastic, extremely reliable little Semi Automatic handguns. They should not be ignored as a viable choice for some females.
    They feature a Tip-Up barrel (A NICE Feature) so that it's possible to load & unload the chamber without ever racking the slide!
    You can get the exact size specifications by going to BerettaUSA and checking their product catalog.

I'll be happy to delete my post if you would prefer only getting posted replies that answer your exact questions. Just say the word.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Walther PPK/S in .380 is also ideal in size for a small handed female but, the recoil spring is stiff and that causes the slide to be quite difficult for some folks w/ limited hand/finger strength to operate.
    It is also finicky feeding some hollow-points and needs factory spare mags to function to the best of its ability.
    Recoil is VERY MILD as a plus...as it is comparatively heavy for it's small size being all Stainless steel.

gunthorp ~

The Kahrs do work, at least in my hands. I like the 9mm polymers especially well. The .40 polymers have a recoil that is so slappy that of the four people I know who purchased one, none kept it (anecdotes aren't data, but still...). 'Course, my friends are all high-volume shooters, and that might have something to do with that.

Had a chance to get my hands on a Kahr P45 the other day. Amazingly slim, and a surprisingly not-unpleasant recoil (better than an all-steel Detonics, for comparison). Superlong trigger pull and annoyingly long reset, but that's DA for you. Bet these guns would fit even more hands if the trigger pulls weren't quite so long.

Anyway, didn't put Kahr above because I don't have one lying around the house to measure "scientifically" for this thread! :D Gotta get up to my friends' house and borrow one of theirs. Without holding one right at the moment, I'd say that they fit perfectly or maybe even are "too small" (as if there were such a thing) for my hands.

I'd really like to hear what others have to say about this. Online it's difficult, because, well, how small is small when you say you have small hands? And what do people mean when they say the gun fits or does not fit? So I tried to figure out a way to semi-standardize the measurements. We'll see if anyone bites ...

Thanks for the kind word. I've linked to Gunthorp, too! Need to add CombatCarry to my links page, too. Maybe tonight.

pax
    Kathy Jackson

QKShooter ~

No worries. I do want folks to answer. Maybe that first post looks like more trouble than it's worth! (It's not, really: pick up your gun, make sure it's unloaded, point it in a safe direction, and observe how the gun fits in your hand. Simple stuff...)

As I told gunthorp, the quiz format is really just an attempt to standardize what people mean when they say, "Good for small hands." Size specs from the catalogs rarely answer the questions about trigger reach to backstrap, and never say anything at all about palm swells & such, which IME matter far more than overall gun size.

If your hands are too big to answer the rest of the questions, I think it would still be useful to get feedback about recoil: mild, medium, or harsh. Even a galoot with monster paws should be able to answer that question, I think. That's the one thing you can't check while standing at the counter in the gun store, after all!

What do you think?

pax
    Last edited by pax; September 16th, 2006 at 09:39 PM.
    Kathy Jackson

Administrator
    I'll have to pop a photo tomorrow of my wife holding the PPK/S .380.
    She has small, petite-ish (is that a word?) hands.
    Look for that pic tomorrow.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Administrator

Post pax

Not to toss your thread even further off topic but, after doing a quick visit to your site I see that you're incredibly into Firearms, Accessories, & Self~Defense material for females.
    My heartfelt Kudos to you for taking positive steps to help other females gain some needed personal protection for themselves.

Are you aware of the holster specially designed for "at the waist carry" for females by Matt DelFatti?
    Here (below) is the link to the page.
    There are two other thumbnail photos showing the same holster custom fit for two other firearms.
    Click Here To Go There.

I know that Matt won't mind if I hot link to one of his web photos.

SLP/F - A holster made for women and specifically designed with the assistance of women to be worn forward of the strong side hip with a muzzle forward rake.
    The holster has an extended and slimmed down wing to the rear of the weapon.
    The rear belt loop is formed by a tongue of leather that wraps around the belt and secures to the outside of the wing.
    This method reduces the leather bulk at the belt attachment so as to reduce the chance of discomfort at the top of the hip.
    There is a second tunnel loop behind the weapon.
    Most women find the holster comfortable, concealable, and fast.
    It works best with shorter barreled pistols.
    Prices start at $140.00.

Again...My apologies for throwing your thread off.
    I can clean it up though if it goes too far off your original questions.

Wife's answers for her Springfield XD40sc:

When you wrap the rest of your hand around the gun to attain a firing grip, does the gun's backstrap connect with your hand
    b) at the base knuckle of the thumb, or

Holding the gun as in Question #1, and with your wrist as straight as you can get it, you draw an imaginary line from the muzzle of the gun along the barrel. The line continues indefinitely. Does the line
    a) run over your thumb, but no other part of your hand or arm, or

Gun type question. Is the gun a
    d) striker-fired semi auto
    Gun type question. Is the gun a
    c) double stack

What caliber is the gun you measured?
    In your subjective opinion, is the gun's recoil
    a) mild (without gloves, you wouldn't mind shooting 100 consecutive rounds)

(Note: She considers a Kahr P40 moderate recoil)
    Your glove size is
    a) Ladies' small

That's a beautiful holster.

Only question I've had ever since I saw it is, How in the world does anyone carry forward of the hip, and stay concealed in normal looking clothes, without a tuckable? Obviously, someone must, or he'd not have designed this. But I can't really see how.

Probably half my vests, girl-cut with slender shoulders & larger armholes, would not work if I didn't have the option of tucking the gun. Nor would I be able to wear short-length "not really cover but distraction" garments, or open vests, or ...

So how do other people do that?

pax
    Kathy Jackson

Sevensteen ~

Thanks to you & to your wife.

pax
    Kathy Jackson

Sponsored Links