MP9 Shield, is the honeymoon over? - Page 2

MP9 Shield, is the honeymoon over?

This is a discussion on MP9 Shield, is the honeymoon over? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, thanks. Good to know it's not all of them. Maybe TGS would let you try before you buy? I don't know about chambering a ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: MP9 Shield, is the honeymoon over?

OK, thanks. Good to know it's not all of them. Maybe TGS would let you try before you buy? I don't know about chambering a round in the shop unless they have a range.

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by reade View Post
    OK, thanks. Good to know it's not all of them. Maybe TGS would let you try before you buy? I don't know about chambering a round in the shop unless they have a range.
    That would be best, if you can find one to rent and try it out before you buy it. Whats right for me may not be right for you.
    Good luck and let us know how things turn out for you

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Mine has been flawless. Almost to the point of boring. It's a great shooter!
    Mine too. 500 rounds. Handloads, factory of all sorts. Thing is an omnivore. Shoots it all flawlessly.

I shoot it better with standard pressure loads but it never does anything wrong with +P. I shoot the Glocks (19 and 26) just fine with +P for double taps, the Shield not so much. Standard pressure, the Shield puts the double taps a couple inches apart as fast as I can pull the trigger. Oh, and by the way, it has the best trigger I've found other than my Glocks. I couldn't stand the trigger on the LC9 or Kahr. They work for some folks, not for me. The trigger on the Shield is just fine and has a nice short reset.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

My Shield also with a round chambered would go out of battery with a very slight push to the front of the slide. I called Smith and Wesson and they sent me a paid label to Fedex it in. The repair slip said ejector changed and test fired. When I received it back the problem was fixed and they gave me a magazine. Took two weeks I am happy with it
    beararms and zonker1986 like this.

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hollowpointt View Post
    My Shield also with a round chambered would go out of battery with a very slight push to the front of the slide. I called Smith and Wesson and they sent me a paid label to Fedex it in. The repair slip said ejector changed and test fired. When I received it back the problem was fixed and they gave me a magazine. Took two weeks I am happy with it
    A free mag? I Almost wish mine would do that?
    Glad you hear they made it right

That's encouraging to hear.

Maybe this next batch to hit the stores won't have this problem. Now to find one.

You will not be disappointed. Got mine within the first weeks they were out and have shot about 600 rounds through it. Great shooter. I like the trigger pull and the comfort in hand. I have had it on my side all day even in this miserable 105' weather. It is comfortable and light weight.

Enjoy if you get one.
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    a loaded Sheild can easily have the slide knocked out of battery, and it does not return on its own. Basically you pull your Shield in a self defense situation, and all you will get is a click (if you're lucky).....gun will not fire. This is not an isolated instance, as I have read a lot of people complaining about this. All have sent back to Smith & Wesson for repair.
    Do a google on this issue if you don't believe me. I love M&P's, so I have no stake in this other than to warn current owners to see if theirs does the same thing. It apparently only does this with a loaded weapon.
    While I'm not disputing your claim, this is news to me. I've had zero problems with my 9mm and absolutely LOVE this little gun. I bought it to use as my BUG and have had no problems whatsoever. However, if some of the guns do have this problem, I'm sure S&W will rectify the situation. Just make sure your weapon is fine. Thanks for the info...good to know!
    sid1 likes this.
    Pistols: Glock 21SF, Glock 30SF, Colt 1911 GCT (all .45ACP),
    Revolvers: Ruger SP 101 (.357MAG/.38SP), Judge (.410G/.45LC)

Long guns: Daniel Defense AR-15's (M4V4 and M4V5), Mossberg Shotguns (400 and 500, both 12G), Ruger (.22;LR)

Go over to conceiled carry forum and check them out. There are quite a few owners with the same issue. m&p-forum also has a few reports.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hollowpointt View Post
    Go over to conceiled carry forum and check them out. There are quite a few owners with the same issue. m&p-forum also has a few reports.
    My 9mm Shield is far from easy to nudge out of battery. In fact it it doesn't nudge. I have to grab the slide and pull because it takes significant effort to do that and if I make the effort to move the slide back out of battery it snaps right back solidly into battery and stays there. I tried jamming it into holsters and they do not knock it out of battery, even the tight fitting ones.

Mine was the first one my dealer received, I bought it a couple of months ago.

So far I have exactly zero complaints with the gun. It has eaten every type of ammo I've fed it with no issues of any kind. It has a good trigger, shoots double taps a couple of inches apart as fast as I can pull the trigger just like my Glock 26. It's a quarter of an inch thinner than my Glock and nicer for summer carry.

I really like the gun.

Fitch
    pattywak and Bark'n like this.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

VIP Member
    I have had no problems with mine. I wonder - for those that have a unit that goes out of battery, how do you holster the weapon? Do you put a thumb on the rear of the slide to keep it in battery? If you do, what type of holster are you using?

When I press check mine, it snaps right back into battery.
    Last edited by ksholder; July 8th, 2012 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Typos
    sid1, pattywak and Fitch like this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

There's also lots of reports that the out of battery issue has been blown out of proportion, and you can make a lot of other pistols do this by barely pulling them back like people were doing to their shields. Like less than 1mm back. And I don't know why people do a press check on the Shield anyways - there's a chamber peep hole for that reason.

Just put your thumb on the back of the slide when reholstering and this is an non-issue.
    Fitch likes this.
    Keep Calm and Carry One.
    Theis Holster - Joab Mag Pouch
    M&P9 Shield
    FNX-9

Quote Originally Posted by pattywak View Post
    There's also lots of reports that the out of battery issue has been blown out of proportion, and you can make a lot of other pistols do this by barely pulling them back like people were doing to their shields. Like less than 1mm back. And I don't know why people do a press check on the Shield anyways - there's a chamber peep hole for that reason.

Just put your thumb on the back of the slide when reholstering and this is an non-issue.
    Yes indeed. That has been my stance on this issue from day one. I have had a lot of guns over the years that would do this if you just barely worked the slide back. NOT all semi autos do it - but many do. Funny how I've never read anything about this on gun forums (other than - stop hand working the slide and let the gun function as it should) until the Shield comes out - then all of a sudden, the sky is falling on this particular model.

I have one shield with 1250 rounds thru it. I've been looking for a second one for almost 2 months now. Love the gun.

Front sight white dot came off about 30 rounds, called S&W, they said to put some white paint on it, that would be all that they would do if I sent it back. I put some white out on, but also ordered some Tru Glow sights, waiting for them to come in. Other then that, I love it, mine is the .40

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    I agree with hogdaddy that's what I try to do, it's easier to ask forgiveness than beg to get a new gun...LOL
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links