MP9 Shield, is the honeymoon over? - Page 3

MP9 Shield, is the honeymoon over?

This is a discussion on MP9 Shield, is the honeymoon over? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by hogdaddy I need to get one, If I could pass it of to the wife as a old gun that was setting ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: MP9 Shield, is the honeymoon over?

Quote Originally Posted by hogdaddy View Post
    I need to get one, If I could pass it of to the wife as a old gun that was setting in the safe for years ; )
    H/D
    HAHA! I use that excuse all the time. That's why I'm glad that my Glocks all look pretty much the same.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Honeymoon over, I was inspired to find one to grope, when I did I ended up buying it's slightly bigger brother the 40c instead.

I'm the only one in my area, at least from what the LGS are telling me, that owns one. Not only do I own the only Shield in the 9...I have it the 40 too. Right now my dealer has 25 folks on the waiting list. I was in the shop yesterday and a guy offered me $600 for my 9 Shield. Told him no way. Love both Shields. Flawless. Best CCW I've ever owned.

600 for a shield?! Even though I lucked out and got mine on the off chance the store got one right before I walked in, I would have sold it for 600$! haha. Got my shield for $425 and that's just way too much profit...but that's the money lover in me speaking. I really do love my Shield.
    Keep Calm and Carry One.
    Theis Holster - Joab Mag Pouch
    M&P9 Shield
    FNX-9

What is all the complaining about concerning Shields?

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    a loaded Sheild can easily have the slide knocked out of battery, and it does not return on its own. Basically you pull your Shield in a self defense situation, and all you will get is a click (if you're lucky).....gun will not fire. This is not an isolated instance, as I have read a lot of people complaining about this. All have sent back to Smith & Wesson for repair.
    Do a google on this issue if you don't believe me. I love M&P's, so I have no stake in this other than to warn current owners to see if theirs does the same thing. It apparently only does this with a loaded weapon.
    Not sure I understand all the hysteria on this issue. Mine would also do this (as well as my Glock 36) but I just pushed the slide forward. It almost cured itself when (at S&W Request) I sent it back to them due to one type of ammo that was giving me problems (Hornady Critical Duty). Came back in a few days (polished feed ramp and a replaced extractor, I think). The gun is flawless and my carry ammo of choice is, you guessed it, Hornady Critical Duty (+P, 135 grn, and very, very accurate).

In my humble opinion, this is the very best, super-compact, 9mm on the market. Last week at the range, a local firearms instructor who is a much better shot than me, shot my Shield. He complained that the sights were regulated a little high (1/4 inch high with all shots at 10 yards going into a group about the size of a nickel- I swear!).

I am not sure about those folks complaining about the Shields, what they would replace it with. I have had Kahr's, KelTec PF9, Rohrbaugh' s, Ruger LC9's, and this Shield is absolutely the best. [Oh yes, I also tried to get a Kimber Solo to shoot before I bought it, but we couldn't get it to work.] I will probably buy a Sig 938 to go with my EMP9, but I don't think it will be better than my Shield.

Trooper Joe

Got mine in early April, IIRC (the week they were released). The honeymoon is NOT over - really love this little gun. It's taken the top spot on my CC list, edging out the CM9. Never had a malf of any kind in about 300 or so rounds, and while I really like the CM9, the Shield's ergos make up for the small size/weight penalty. Plus, I get an extra round or two.

I can't imagine anyone being unhappy with a Shield. Well, OK, I can, but there are ALWAYS going to be whiners around.

Regards,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper Joe View Post
    Not sure I understand all the hysteria on this issue. Mine would also do this (as well as my Glock 36) but I just pushed the slide forward. It almost cured itself when (at S&W Request) I sent it back to them due to one type of ammo that was giving me problems (Hornady Critical Duty). Came back in a few days (polished feed ramp and a replaced extractor, I think). The gun is flawless and my carry ammo of choice is, you guessed it, Hornady Critical Duty (+P, 135 grn, and very, very accurate).

In my humble opinion, this is the very best, super-compact, 9mm on the market. Last week at the range, a local firearms instructor who is a much better shot than me, shot my Shield. He complained that the sights were regulated a little high (1/4 inch high with all shots at 10 yards going into a group about the size of a nickel- I swear!).

I am not sure about those folks complaining about the Shields, what they would replace it with. I have had Kahr's, KelTec PF9, Rohrbaugh' s, Ruger LC9's, and this Shield is absolutely the best. [Oh yes, I also tried to get a Kimber Solo to shoot before I bought it, but we couldn't get it to work.] I will probably buy a Sig 938 to go with my EMP9, but I don't think it will be better than my Shield.

Trooper Joe
    Couldn't agree more. Own 8 M&Ps (2 are Shields) and all 8 do this. I can manually replicate it. Never been an issue when I've carried. I was always taught to place the thumb over the back of the slide when holstering. This keeps the gun from going out of battery. Wore my Shield 9 for an entire two weeks while in Florida and it never when out of battery when holstered. Its not an issue...most guns do this. Folks just like to attack perfection.

[QUOTE=reade;2310288]I've been eyeing the MP9 Shield but wanted to hold out on buying one till they had been around for a while. It seems like a nice option for CC, more dependable than a PM9 and easier to conceal than a G26.

Really? Kahrs are not dependable? I have a PM9 and it has replaced my G27 for a BUG at work. The Glock has locked up and been inoperable.......twice. My Kahr is flawless. A PROPERLY prepared Kahr is every bit reliable as any other weapon.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    More dependable than a pm9?? Really. Seems more like larger pistols are easier for maginal shooters to make fuction better. The shield is large so it should work better for you. Buy one and shot it and enjoy. Well you have any problems , maybe , maybe not. Its is a prodction firearm so only time tells. May youngest daughter hates my cm9 and it has had issues for her but can make the "shield" size cw9 run fine. Only a size thing difference.

If you have a problem run thru the thangs to check, lube, ammo, shooter followed by a trip back a s&w.

VIP Member
    My only complaint is that the sights have really sharp edges. I am on the larger side, and when the rear sight hits my steering wheel, it tends to scratch the leather. I have ordered some XS Sights and that should take care of the issue. Other than that, it is fun to shoot, easy to shoot and shoots anything I have fed it.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I love my Shield in 40...... Not a single bobble

I had a CM9 that was reliable, but.........

I hated the long trigger pull and long reset, even though it was smooth

Double taps arent happening

I hated that you had to go through 200 rounds for break in
    (i had multiple failures during breakin)

I also had to have it serviced because the slide would lock back
    Prematurely.

Lastly, its the only pistol I know of where the manufacturer wants
    You to use the slide stop to chamber rounds

After break in it was reliable. ....... But.... I was never truly in love with the gun

I sold the CM9.......

Not slamming the CM9, just for me, the Shield was a better choice
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

MP9 Shield, is the honeymoon over?

Personally, I feel the honeymoon is over. Don't get me wrong, I'm a Smith fan and especially the M&P series...owning 6 of them to include the Shield in 9. I had the Shield in 40 but a couple months ago I dumped it due to reliability issues.

3 weeks ago, I ran across a Springfield XDS 45 which is their version of the Shield. Awesome firearm. It's now my primary carry. My Shield sits in the safe unused. When Springfield comes out with the 9 and 40 I will pick up the 40.

In my 40 years of shooting I don't think I've handled a more accurate firearm. At 7 yds, I'm dead center with 1/4 inch groupings. The XDS is more comfortable and in my opinion, easier to conceal than the Shield. If you haven't handled one, do so. You won't regret it.

So for me, yep, the honeymoon is over.

I have a noob question.

What exactly does "out of battery" mean and how do you know if it happens to your gun?

Honeymoon? Hell, I never even asked it out for a date. Like a good husband I remain faithful to the original one that has proven itself to me over the years, the beautiful, reliable and effective, curvy little j frame.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links