Springfield Armory XDS OR S&W M&P Shield ???????>>>>>>>

This is a discussion on Springfield Armory XDS OR S&W M&P Shield ???????>>>>>>> within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking for something new. I have shot a box of 50 rounds out of a Springfield Armory XDS and a S&W M&P Shield. In my ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Springfield Armory XDS OR S&W M&P Shield ???????>>>>>>>

Thumbs up Springfield Armory XDS OR S&W M&P Shield ???????>>>>>>>

Looking for something new. I have shot a box of 50 rounds out of a Springfield Armory XDS and a S&W M&P Shield. In my opinion I shot both of them equally well with several shots on the same hole at 10 yards. The recoil to me of the XDS was actually much less than what I expected and in my opinion the recoil from my Keltec PF9 and Diamondback DB9 is much more than the XDS. Both feel great in my hand. Even the pinky dangling does not bother me. Again I am used to shooting mouse guns !!! The LGS here are both selling both guns right at MSRP. As far as the safety on the Shield, I do not mind it as I have several other guns with safety and train with it. So if you had to choose between the 2, which one would you purchase ??? Is there anyone out there that has both or has shot both of them like I have ??? Please share your opinions and experiences. Thanks again and God Bless

2. Remove Ads

Don't mean to rain on your parade...but neither. Both are still too new. Don't be a beta tester! Wait until both have been on the market for a year or so. You can thank me later.
    GhostMaker likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Don't mean to rain on your parade...but neither. Both are still too new. Don't be a beta tester! Wait until both have been on the market for a year or so. You can thank me later.

Thanks for your reply 10th, but I do not mind being a beta tester. God Bless

Both appear to be great guns. Me personally? I prefer capacity over caliber when I have my choice of ammo but I also think you have to look at what your giving up VS what your gaining. I tend to compare all sub compact guns against the Glock 26. 10+1 (with the ability to carry 10, 15, 17 or 33 round back up mags), 1.18 inches wide, 26 ounces loaded and 4.17 inches high. While this may not be the most popular view, off all those stats I just listed I consider to be width the least important. To me, the height makes more difference than anything else when it comes to concealment. Weight is the primary consideration for comfort. So, If I am going to take on more of something (such as weight or height) then I better be getting something in return. With the Shield, I am getting a gun that weighs the same as a G26, carries 3 less rounds, is less concealable because of the height (length of grip) and has a unneeded manual thumb safety. With the XDS I am getting the same except it carries 6 less rounds and a unneeded beaver tail safety but at least I am upgrading caliber to a .45. So, at the end of the day I wouldn't choose either, but if I had to I would go with the XDS because at least I am getting something for what I am giving up.
    10thmtn and Vaquero 45 like this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    I own each the XDS and the M&P Shield in 9mm and both are fine guns. And it's a toss-up. M&P Shield price is a little more atractive. The XDS comes in the .45 format. The M&P is a little longer in the grip than the XDS (not by much). You can get an extended mag for the XDS also if needed. The M&P has a better trigger IMO then the XDS. Dont take that wrong, the XDS has a fine trigger just out of the two the shield is better. I have only had my XDS for a couple of weeks now, so I'm still learning this gun and shooting it for proficiency to carry.
    Took it to the range today and so far 300 rounds without a single problem

I haven't had the opportunity to handle an XDS but did compare a Walther PPS and a S&W Shield. I liked the feel and quality of the PPS and purchased it yesterday. Range time tomorrow.

Shield

Quote Originally Posted by ptco911 View Post
    I haven't had the opportunity to handle an XDS but did compare a Walther PPS and a S&W Shield. I liked the feel and quality of the PPS and purchased it yesterday. Range time tomorrow.

Yes I have shot the range's PPS several times and I shot it very well and it fits great. Earlier this year I was actually looking into purchasing one, but then they announced the Shield and then the XDS.......Ahh so many choices !!!! God Bless

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    Tough call. Let me know where you land. Had I not picked up a Shield I'd definitely have grabbed the xds. I've handled the xds and liked the feel immediately. But the M&P is a slick and apparently reliable gun. Good luck.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Honestly I only bought the Shield over the XDs because SA muffed the XDs release so badly, and I've only in the last week or two seen any locally (pre-sold, too). I got the Shield two days after the NRA show locally. I would like the XDs as well, though.
    Hakkaa päälle!

I have a XD-S with about 550 rds thru it so far....... mine has been flawless....... its nice and flat and easy to conceal.
    I have not shot a shield but I do have a M&P. I like the XD-S better. With the extended capacity mags it feels like a much bigger gun for range time.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Personally I would get the M&P, I know S&W has awesome customer service and stands by their products.

The XD's are also good guns tho

Good luck on your choice
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Wow I have been going back and forth on this. Over the weekend I went to a LGS that I heard had a XDS. I had money in my hand and asked and they told me that they just sold one and may have another one at another location. They called and that one had been sold too. So fast forward a few days to now and I find another location has a 40S&W M&P Shield. Ahh descions, descions !!! God Bless

I really like Springfield and S&W, I own both brands and handled the guns you're referring to.

I'd go with the Shield... you're already vested in 9mm, why add another caliber to the mix to stock up on? That way when they release the XD-S in 9mm you can get that one too (that's my plan). :)

When you say safety on the Shield, is it an actual safety or internal lock? Both?
    I mostly agree with Rollo, pistols this size must offer some advantage over subcompact Glocks.
    I won't buy a pistol with an internal lock.
    The XDs has a 5 + 1 capacity, which is low vs other options.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links