Stepping off the "Pocket 9mm" Merry-Go-Round...Hello revolver!

This is a discussion on Stepping off the "Pocket 9mm" Merry-Go-Round...Hello revolver! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by 10thmtn Agree with everything except the last part. On the last part, chances are slim to none that would come up, and ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Stepping off the "Pocket 9mm" Merry-Go-Round...Hello revolver!

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Agree with everything except the last part.
    On the last part, chances are slim to none that would come up, and I'm not saying you should even then. The point is, with 2 guns holding 5 rounds each as opposed to 1 gun with 10, you have more options and flexibility. It is something that is possible if need be with 2 that is not with only 1. Same theory as not putting all of your eggs in one basket.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
    Why? My LCR has been buttery smooth since lube and shot #1. There is no semi-automatic that feels as comfortable in my hands as the hogue-gripped LCR. The final point is, as much as a gun can, it will ALWAYS go bang, no FTF, FTE, stovepipes, etc-all those terms I had to learn with the semis. That in credit card lingo is..... priceless.
    It was a joke in bad taste that you wouldn't begin to understand unless you have at some point googled "kahr problems" and ended up on the fan forum.

I'm about over my K-gun disappointment. Even though it has been good since it got back from the factory, I'm not real excited about carrying it. Besides, I have an HK P2KSK that comes pretty close to disappearing, it just won't fit in the front pocket of my shorts. I'm starting to think: if I sell that CM9 I'd be halfway there to a PD340.

I've got to say that In 7 years and over 10,000 rounds I've never had one problem with my G19 as my primary. I alternate my BUG between my S&W 642 and Bodyguard 380. Gotta love those J-frames. The 380 isn't bad either.
    "I'm not IN danger Skyler, I AM the danger!"

Quote Originally Posted by hardscrabble View Post
    It was a joke in bad taste that you wouldn't begin to understand unless you have at some point googled "kahr problems" and ended up on the fan forum.

I'm about over my K-gun disappointment. Even though it has been good since it got back from the factory, I'm not real excited about carrying it. Besides, I have an HK P2KSK that comes pretty close to disappearing, it just won't fit in the front pocket of my shorts. I'm starting to think: if I sell that CM9 I'd be halfway there to a PD340.
    My bad. I didn't see the. Actually I have 2 Kahrs, a P45 and a PM9. The new 9 has 200 faultless rounds and the P 45 has never burped with +/-500 rounds. I have previously read the Kahr forums and now the joke makes perfect sense! Oddly enough I did not follow your directions and have had no problems yet with my Kahrs like so many other posters seem to have. I like the Kahr's weight, thinness, trigger (for a double action), and overall accuracy and although I keep trying to fall in love, they just don't feel like a 1911 or a good revolver. Maybe if I send one in for the $1000 Robar makeover I might feel differently. But then again I could sell the Kahrs, add the $1000 and get a Wilson or Les Baer 1911!!!!!
    Life is too short to shoot ugly guns.

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    I've owned two of the micro 9mms and a 2 XS sight LCRs.

Much prefer the light/smooth DAO of the Ruger LCR 38+P.

Never handled a Kahr and never going to do so.

No reliability issues with the pocket 9s or my MDE or LCP,
    but the only real point for them over a LCR or J-frame
    is a few more shots and slightly faster reload.

Very sweet shooting indeed!
    www.czforum.com

Go RED SOX!

VIP Member
    The good lord really does answer prayers! Now I don't have to hear all the whining of the only guy in history who bought two problematic Khar PM9's and then decided to buy a third PM9. Thank you from all of the happy Khar owners around the world!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Congrats on the LCR. love mine

Just traded the wife's Beretta Tomcat in today for a 642. Decided the Beretta out for a little practice. It continued to jam, fail to extract, so that was it. Now we have matching carry pieces, 'cept for the pink grips on hers.

Mines about 10 years old now, still shoots good and locks up tight despite my tendency to put very hot handloads thru it. At 20 yards I just aim about belly button and they impact nicely in the thoracic triangle area.
    Can't beat'em, as far as I'm concerned.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

gtv
    Congrats on the LCR! The more I shoot my wife's, the more I think I may trade in my PF-9 for one. Great shooting little gun.
    "Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day... Teach a man to fish and he'll spend all his time in the basement tying flies and neglecting his personal hygiene." -- Jimmy James

"Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!!" -- Admiral James T. Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by pm9 View Post
    Interesting reading. I purchased a PM9 off the instructors program about 9 months ago. I spent time on Kahrtalk forum and found solutions for most any Kahr issue out there. The only thing I did to my Magazine follower was wrap a piece of sandpaper around a pencil and decrease the angle ever so slightly. Total time once the followers were removed less than two minutes. Info at Chambering the first round, a slingshot modification - Page 2 - KahrTalk Forums post #11. I have had zero issues with any of my three mags and the gun is as reliable as I am with any weight bullets and shapes. 99% of what I shoot is handloaded and it will feed any mix I give it.. That said, my S&W 340PD in a pocket holster will disappear in a pair lightweight dress pants. Something my Kahr will not do. Nice to have both options.

Okay, I just did this mag follower mod to all my mags for my Kahrs..... Does it work? You betcha! Wholly crap! IMO, one of the easiest and most significant mods for the Kahr pistol I've seen. I know it works because I did the test several times both before and after the mod. I can even ride the slide back into battery and still have no malfunctions. One things for sure. Kahr has dropped the ball big time with this one; if a simple mod like this can cure what I would call a serious defect with their mags and they haven't made it on their own, SHAME ON THEM!

Thanks for the info "PM9", I had all my Kahrs parked in the safe due to confidence in function reliability, now, I'll be taking another trip to the range with um and see if my concers have been put to bed. I have always liked the Kahr format due to it's concealability and caliber. One thing to note; it would appear that an even easier fix would be to just order up some "Pro Mag" followers and swap um out. Think I'll look into that too. Thanks again!
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Hey GBK - Glad the follower mod worked for you, at least so far. As noted in the link, however, this mod does not seem to work for everyone. I tried it, following the instructions in that post to the letter, and I did not note any real difference. Could be the combination of my particular gun, mags, and ammo...not sure. And I'm not going to spend any more time, money, and effort to figure it out either.

I'm going to be keeping my PM9, at least for a while. I need to see if the LCR will work in all my attire - especially in some of my business suits, which tend to have smaller pockets. I'll make a final decision after I experiment for a while. I trust my PM9 enough with my carry load (Federal 124 gr +P EFMJ), but not with anything else without spending a lot more time at the range proofing the gun with that ammo combination. And that gets expensive!

Good luck to you - hope it works out. It stinks having a gun sitting in the safe that you just don't quite trust - especially a relatively expensive one.

PS - Last I checked the ProMag site, they had discontinued the Kahr mags.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I work at a Gun Shop. I can have ANY Gun I want. Cost dose not matter. I can have any Gun we can order. I carry a Ruger SP101 and a Ruger LCR357. I like Revolvers. Out of all the Revolvers and Semi Autos I have shot and own I decided on this pare. Both handle 357 125G JHP with no problem. Recoil is not a problem and follow up shots easy to make. The LCR fits my pocket and the SP101 rides AIWB. Speed Loaders and Speed Strips carry My extra ammo and I feel good to go.
    wmhawth likes this.

Out of all the guns I have, the two carried most are my 640 Pro and my Glock 27. I have started use the Glock more for summer hiking, as the Smith's steel night sights do not like sweat and I can't hurt the Glock. I am a huge 357 Mag fan and have been considering a 357 Sig Barrel for my baby Glock.

Congrats 10th MNT, revolvers are solid, basic SD guns. The older I get and the more I learn, the more I can appreciate the simplicity and reliability of a revolver.

Dont forget the wife 10thmtn.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Congrats on your LCR. I was pretty much an autoloader guy until I got my CCP. I loved my 1911's and Commanders...even had aGlock and a CZ75. None of them were sufficiently concealable for me, and none were 100 percent reliable. Reliability becomes more of a problem in smaller autoloaders, and the advantage of greater capacity is diminished in most cases. The .38/.357 snubby was the answer, and they became something of a passion with me. While my normal carry is a 642, I also have an 8 shot 327pc for more threatening situations (21 oz...same as a steel Chief or D special), as well as a couple of D specials, Agent, Cobra, LCR, Chief, Bodyguard and a 2" model 10. There are many advantages to the revolver, not the least of which is they are more convenient to practice with. They're easy to dry fire and will digest anything you feed them from wax bullet or plastic practice rounds to defense loads. No 'break in period,' no search for the load they like, no scavenger hunts for your brass. Good choice.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links