Stepping off the "Pocket 9mm" Merry-Go-Round...Hello revolver!

This is a discussion on Stepping off the "Pocket 9mm" Merry-Go-Round...Hello revolver! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There's a LOT of stiff necked, mule headed, dyed-in-the-wool, metal-framed autoloading zealots who first became wise enough to actually TRY a poly-framed 9mm (GLOCK, M&P) ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Stepping off the "Pocket 9mm" Merry-Go-Round...Hello revolver!

There's a LOT of stiff necked, mule headed, dyed-in-the-wool, metal-framed autoloading zealots who first became wise enough to actually TRY a poly-framed 9mm (GLOCK, M&P) and had to finally admit they were perfectly fine EDC choices. Now they (we) same knot-heads are again reconsidering the practical wisdom of a lightweight revolver (or two). It makes (gulp!) too much sense to remain foolishly stubborn. I now regularly carry a be-you-tee-ful Model 12 S&W snubbie (6 shot, alloy K frame, round butt) and NEVER feel under-gunned. I'm looking for another one, but the danged collectors are pushing the prices up everyday. So find a rough one, have it rebuilt & discover true revolver love!. Congrats on coming into the modern carry world via 100+ year old technology!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

2. Remove Ads

Re my wife - She has her own LCP, but she does not carry all the time. For now, I'd like her to carry the LCP more often, before throwing another gun into the mix. If she shows an interest in the LCR, I would buy her one in a heartbeat. She really likes the G26, but I cannot imagine her carrying one, when she won't even carry the LCP as often as she could. Baby steps. And it has to be her idea. Learned that the hard way...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Re my wife - She has her own LCP, but she does not carry all the time. For now, I'd like her to carry the LCP more often, before throwing another gun into the mix. If she shows an interest in the LCR, I would buy her one in a heartbeat. She really likes the G26, but I cannot imagine her carrying one, when she won't even carry the LCP as often as she could. Baby steps. And it has to be her idea. Learned that the hard way...
    Yep, can relate.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Finally got a chance to make a quick trip over to the range to try my new LCR out. I have to say, I am very pleased with it!

Only had time to run a bit over 50 rounds of Winchester Super-X 158 gr standard pressure SWCs through it (what I will carry in it), but I found the recoil to be easily controlled. The trigger is very good. The impact point was a bit high using the iron sights at 7 yards. The laser was easily zeroed, and in no time I was able to easily tear up the bullseye. No issues as far as reliability is concerned - which is what you would expect with a revolver. Extraction was fast and positive - as long as I remembered to point the revolver straight up.

I did also have time to run a quick 50 rounds through my LCP. It's been in my pocket for about a month with no cleaning - ran just fine. Pulling the trigger at a rapid but controlled pace yielded another torn up bullseye. Was reminded again what an accurate and just plain great overall little gun this is.

Other than while on duty, it would seem that my LCR and LCP will be my go-to pair of defensive sidearms. I'm happy I made the switch!
    CT Lasers

Congrats on the positive experience. The more I mess around with Ruger products the more that I like them.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Finally got a chance to pick up my .38 Spl... ...Based on my personal experience, I just don't think it is possible to make a truly drama-free pocket-sized 9mm.

The final proof will be in the shooting, of course. But I have a fairly good idea where I'm heading...
    I love my autos; I've carried 9mm's from a pre-WWII HiPower (incredibly reliable) to a Beretta Nano (incredibly reliable).

Drama-free? Very much so but still not my idea pocket pistols. I cannot guess what some people have for pockets. A 642 is what goes in my pocket. Excellent choices from Ruger and S&W if you are a double-action kind of guy and think you're that accurate. If you are a single-action kind of guy, still excellent choices if you think you're that fast.

I used to be a firm believer in the pocket wheelgun, carried a SP101 357 for years. Until last spring when the flash mob idiocy started, 5 rds with a fairly slow reaload just lost it's appeal to me. I carry a G-26 now with 17rd reloads, it's easier to shoot, functions 100% and is light with plenty of rds on tap.
    C hawk Glock likes this.

i got my first j-frame in the late 70's and have never felt under gun with it. drop a speed strip in your pocket and it is all good.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Same here, sig p290 had light strike issues into the shop twice and then traded it in and got a ruger sp101

anyone have experience or can relate comments on the SW bodyguard REVOLVER. With laser, this is at LGS for $390. This is less than 442, so was curious how this new gun stacks up against the older SW and LCR (2x the price). thanks

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    Agree with the pocket revolver theory....I have done it for years.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

SEMPER PARATUS

Quote Originally Posted by boatman View Post
    anyone have experience or can relate comments on the SW bodyguard REVOLVER. With laser, this is at LGS for $390. This is less than 442, so was curious how this new gun stacks up against the older SW and LCR (2x the price). thanks
    I prefer the CT Lasergrips on the LCR - the laser turns on by naturally gripping the gun, no extra step needed.

That said, that is a very tempting price...maybe some folks who have the Bodyguard .38 revolver will chime in for you.
    CT Lasers

My CM9 has been flawless so far...so has my LCR .38 :D

What can I say, I like options.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

642 j-frame.jpg

I have a very reliable 9mm Shield and Bodyguard .380. That said I carry my 642 as often as I can.
    Also have a 686 .357 for a house gun, all the power I could ever need. Waiting on a 5" Pro Series 9mm
    but will still hang with the wheel guns for the unquestioned 99% reliability. I also like the option to
    just pull the trigger again if there is a bad primer/round.
    Frank.

Sorry to hear that so many have had such problems with the modern, hi-tech crop of pocket autos. A couple of years ago, I tried my luck with classic pocket autos, and just had too many issues with them. I kept the Remington Mod. 51 .380 for fun and very occasional carry, and sold off the rest. I typically carry both a 2" and a 4" J frame. Have gotten great service from various Rugers I've owned over the years, and would be very happy to stick an LCR or two in my pockets.

Recently obtained a set of mint Rugers built for export to India in the early '80's, namely a 4" Service Six and a 2 3/4" Speed Six in caliber .380 Rim (aka .38 S&W). Can't carry these panzers in my pocket, but sometimes carry the Speed-Six IWB.

I also applaud your choice of standard pressure 158g SWC's, as they will reach the boiler room if necessary. No worries if the gun will jam, no wondering whether the bullet will expand: a simplicity that has a certain charm in a potential crisis situation that will already pose sufficient bewildering variables.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links