Stepping off the "Pocket 9mm" Merry-Go-Round...Hello revolver!

This is a discussion on Stepping off the "Pocket 9mm" Merry-Go-Round...Hello revolver! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Finally got a chance to pick up my .38 Spl Ruger LCR with factory-mounted Crimson Trace Lasergrips. Got a Desantis Superfly pocket holster for it, ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Stepping off the "Pocket 9mm" Merry-Go-Round...Hello revolver!

Finally got a chance to pick up my .38 Spl Ruger LCR with factory-mounted Crimson Trace Lasergrips. Got a Desantis Superfly pocket holster for it, and with the larger anti-print panel from my G26's Superfly, the LCR disappears into my shorts pockets. I have not even taken it to the range yet, but I have a feeling that it will relegate my PM9 to the safe.

My current PM9 is my third attempt to get one running to my liking, and my fourth try with Kahr pistols (my first was an early P9). This particular PM9 has caused me to suffer through:

* Consistent nose dive jams with the 7-rd mag, which Kahr blames on a "too tight grip." Their solution was to swap the 7-rd mag for a 6-rd one.

* One mag that will drop free, while the other does not.

* Nose down jams with 147 gr Gold Dot ammo, even with the 6-rd mags.

* A replacement recoil spring that would not fit in the gun until Kahr advised me to snip it shorter (!).

What really irks me is that I purchased this PM9 directly from Kahr via their instructor sales program. You would think that they would pay extra special attention to guns that are sold to those who instruct others.

I have spent entirely too much time in the last year proofing this gun, instead of actually training. Breaking it in, having issues, trying to diagnose the issues, trying different brands of ammo, etc. Too much wasted time and money.

We have three LCPs in our family. One had to go back to Ruger twice to get running right. Since then, it has been as reliable as the other two. I'm not sure why the .380s generally seem to run well, but the small pocket 9mm's out there seem to have more than their fair share of issues - based on my experience and what I read and hear from others. (My definition of a "small pocket 9mm" is one smaller than a G26 - guns like the PM9/CM9, DB9, etc)

I decided that I've reached a point that I just want a gun that will work, with no drama or undue fussiness. I'm hoping the LCR is that gun. It will fill the niche between my LCPs and my G26.

I've traditionally favored semi-autos and am well aware of the relative merits of both semis and revolvers. Based on my personal experience, I just don't think it is possible to make a truly drama-free pocket-sized 9mm.

The final proof will be in the shooting, of course. But I have a fairly good idea where I'm heading...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    . Based on my personal experience, I just don't think it is possible to make a truly drama-free pocket-sized 9mm.
    I agree. That's the main reason why the G26 is my primary. If I wanted something smaller I would probably for with a LCR with .38 +p's.
    old grunt likes this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Never have been a fan of pocket autos. A small revolver has so much going for it. Glad you found something that will work for you.
    oldman45 likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I too recently made the switch to carrying an LCR. I didn't have the teething issues with my LC9 that you did with your Kahr, but I wish that I had discovered the simplicity of carrying a revolver earlier.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Hopefully, the LCR will be the right pocket carry for you. It has a great trigger. The only issue that I've ever seen with it is small incidents of "flame cutting" after a small amount of rounds.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Congrats on the LCR. I've never had a need for any sort of pocket carry gun, but if I were to develop such a need, the LCR would be the first place I would look.

My main carry now is a SW 642 after the auto 9 thing for me also...
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

I love my snub!
    scgunlover1 likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Senior Member Array Crescentstar's Avatar
    My 642 has been a faithful pocket gun. Of course, the Kahr problems are clearly all YOUR fault..... (wink, wink)
    10thmtn likes this.
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

Post some pics of that baby

I'm on the same phase. Sold my Kel tec and Kahr. Then turned around and bought a Ruger SP101. Had problems with both of them when I first got them, sent them back and they ran great. Just always had that thought of them when i first got them that always left a uneasy thought in my mind. I have an LCR in 357 and love that one too. In fact my wife shoots very well with 38's and she's a beginner
    DanielC likes this.

Be sure you lube it and dry fire it 1,000 times before you shoot it. Break it in with 400 rounds and shoot it like you stole it.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    My current PM9 is my third attempt to get one running to my liking, and my fourth try with Kahr pistols (my first was an early P9). This particular PM9 has caused me to suffer ...
    You too? Multiple PM9's and P380's didn't cut it for me. Sad, given the compelling size/weight combination. Ah, well.

A decent revolver's hard to beat, from the reliability standpoint alone.
    ExGM likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member
    It was a Kahr P40 that inspired my 638. They may manufacture autos but they're great wheel gun salesmen.
    10thmtn and ExGM like this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Congrats 10thmtn. I'm sure you'll be as happy with yours as I am with mine; although my LCR has given way to my S&W638 due to ergos and overall size. IMO, you just can't argue with the reliability of a revolver for everyday carry, around town and around the house it's a hard to beat firearm. If I'm heading into the city, I like to gun up with my Glock or one of my other autos due the whole round count gang thing, but even then with the addition of the laser, one well placed shot with the .38 special is a good remedy for the would be thug. Enjoy your new revolver, IMO you made a excellent move, one I doubt you will ever regret.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links