Where to buy new gun?

Where to buy new gun?

This is a discussion on Where to buy new gun? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking for thoughts on the following: I can get a 642 for $380 (plus 20ish ffl) from bud's, or pay $449+tax from my lgs...IF ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Where to buy new gun?

Where to buy new gun?

I'm looking for thoughts on the following: I can get a 642 for $380 (plus 20ish ffl) from bud's, or pay $449+tax from my lgs...IF they can get the gun. What would you do?

No-brainer, man.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Shop around I know here you can beat the so called discount online price or meet it at local stores.
    Better to buy local when you can. I have never yet had an online price in my hand price beat a local by more than a couple dollars.
    Fleet farm near me has rotating sales on a large number of handguns and the prices ar hard to beat anywhere.

Bud's. Me holding on to my money is more important than some local taking it away from me. However, I always consider extra costs like transfer fees, assembling things, and other extra stuff to make sure I'll really come ahead vs paying a bit more at a local place where they would probably do it for free or at a steep discount (again, I like my money). For example, I just bought a half finished lower (minus stock and buffer assembly) at a gun show for a bit more than I would have paid for the parts, but less when I factored in paying someone to assemble the rest. Same for the buffer assembly. I paid more for the parts, but less than doing that and paying someone to finish it.
    Last edited by tubadude; July 8th, 2012 at 02:45 AM.
    Brad426 likes this.

VIP Member
    It is hard for a local small operation gun store (or any other type business) to match the price of the big on line retailers. They can't get the volume discount from the distributors the large retailers do. Where they can beat the large on line retailers is in service to the customer.

Just a little story to demonstrate. When I retired from the military I bought an archery shop. I had a customer who wanted me to match BowHunter Discounter Warehouse. Their price for the bow, sights, peep sight, quiver and stabilizer was $100 less than what my price was. He kept hounding me and harassing me to meet their price. I finally gave in and said alright. I gathered all the items, rang up the sale and after he paid me I told him he could pick it up in 3 days. He wanted to know why he couldn't get it then. I told him it would have taken 3 days for them to ship it to him. He wasn't happy, but he left and came back in 3 days. I handed all the items, still in the original packaging. He looked confused and wanted to know when I was going to assemble it for him. I told him I wasn't, that the box store wouldn't ship it assembled, that I delivered it in the same manner they would. I told him if he wanted me to assemble it, he'd have to pay the established rate for someone bringing their own equipment in and having me do the work. He finally agreed and came back the next day to pick it up. After paying me to do the work for him, he ended up paying about $75.00 more than what my original price would have been. Any bow I sold, included set up in the price. But he insisted I match the big box store. Sometimes a little thing like service is over looked, until you have to pay for it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Buy from Buds man.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

I have seen 642 and 442's for $339

Unless one is really strapped for money I vote buy from the locals whenever you can. Haven't the big corporation run off the smaller outfits. And I am not just speaking of gun dealers.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

I shy away from the big box stores and tend to shop around at the mom and pops.
    Secret Spuk likes this.

I would check all sources. Sometimes you may be able to get a good deal at a local shop, small or national chain. I would also check the main online sources - Bud's Gun Shop, Cheaper Than Dirt, GunsAmerica, etc. It also depends on the gun that you want; local shops may not have an unusual handgun. For example, I've wanted a MRI/IWI Baby Desert Eagle....not seen at any local or big gun stores, or large gun shows. Most online sources were asking over $520 plus shipping and FFL. I kept checking the online stores and found exactly what I wanted for $475 including shipping. So, it pays to research and check around.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    I don't buy guns unless I can hold them, see them, and make them function first. Just a thing of mine.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

VIP Member
    Brick and mortar adds overhead. I understand that and I also appreciate it. It adds value to any transaction to be able to actually see and touch the product BEFORE you buy it.

That being said, any additional cost must be reasonable. A 30-40% difference is hard to justify in my eyes. I want to help support a local company, but I don't intend to look like a schmuck doing it.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I have bought 3 guns from Bud's and all were fresh, and right. I tend to buy a fair amount online, although I do believe in supporting the local dealer if the price is close enough. I do buy most ammo, and accessoriers locally when I can, but I do online price shop most everthing that is considerable in price to ensure the price is right. Then there are a few things that are just hard to find. I would have prefered to have bought my Marlin 50th anniverary Model 60 Deluxe .22 locally but there were so rare, I could not find one but online.

I have had to many bad experiences from local shops. The shops i have been to are rude and anti customer. I like the online dealers better, there are plenty of people that are too afraid to buy guns online so the local shops will always have a bunch of suckers that are cool with putting up with rude shop owners.

I had a great experience with Grabagun.com Guns there is no fee for credit cards like buds, there's usually a coupon code for free shipping (it's only $5.95 I think anyway for a handgun), you don't have to pay state sales tax if you live out of state which can save a huge chunk of change depending on the items price, and my FFL does transfers for $10. Can't beat that. Their prices in general are lower than buds too.

All though I have bought several items from buds before I'll stick with GrabAGun when I can.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links