Joined the Ranks of 1911 Owners/Pics at 22/Range Reports at 35 & 42

This is a discussion on Joined the Ranks of 1911 Owners/Pics at 22/Range Reports at 35 & 42 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I liked my duty at Fort Ord, loved going down into Monteray and spending time on Cannery Row. Lots of good jazz music at some ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Joined the Ranks of 1911 Owners/Pics at 22/Range Reports at 35 & 42

I liked my duty at Fort Ord, loved going down into Monteray and spending time on Cannery Row. Lots of good jazz music at some of the outdoor places on the weekends.

Bought my first motorcycle there, spent a lot of time riding the coast highway.

Anyway, don't mean to hijak your thread.... nice looking pics of your 1911 !!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveT View Post
    I liked my duty at Fort Ord, loved going down into Monteray and spending time on Cannery Row. Lots of good jazz music at some of the outdoor places on the weekends.

Bought my first motorcycle there, spent a lot of time riding the coast highway.

Anyway, don't mean to hijak your thread.... nice looking pics of your 1911 !!

Dave, if you haven't been back to Monterey lately don't go. I was there in April and you can't move around. They just keep building and going up. It looked to me like the population was at least twice what it was when we were there.

Fort Ord is enough to make a grown man cry. The university buildings appear to be the only thing on the main post area that has been maintained. Everything else is sort of crumbling. Some of the housing is still in use for Presidio personnel so it is in good shape. Could not get into that area to see the house I lived in.

I would love to have the opportunity to take the new 1911 out to the old beach ranges and break it in. Those were really good ranges. I don't know if you ever got up to the North end of the ranges or not. The last range going North was the one used by 6th Army Pistol Team and was really very nice. There was a fence around the are and a gate across the beach road. There was a very nice clubhouse there. Not too big, but the main room was perfect for a group of 20 or so. They had an arms room, areas for cleaning the pistols and areas where the armorers worked on the pistols. As Range Safety Officer I got to go up there several times and to shoot some of the pistols that were being tested after being tuned or repaired. The range was great and the pistols were fantastic.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

I was at DLI in '78 and Fort Ord was starting to be left out to pasture as it where. Some of their barracks facilities where literally crumbling down. Monterey was still nice but the beginnings of the development to come was just getting started. Still remember some really nice spots in town there even if guys with crew cuts didn't always get the best treatment....

BTW that's a good looking 1911 you've got there. Hope you get to shoot it alot! I try to get mine out for a walk every other week.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

You'll enjoy!!

Nice Gun and a heck of a nice wife!!! Enjoy both all you can!!!!
    1. Dum spiramus tuebimur -"While we breath, we shall defend"

VIP Member

Range Report

Between us, my wife and I, put 100 rounds through the new Springfield GI .45 1911-A1. Both of us noticed things improving as we shot. First let me say that in those 100 rounds, all WWB 230gr., we had not one FTF, nor FTE. In fact we had absolutely no trouble at all. The first few rounds we fired were low with each of us getting used to the sights. GI sights after standard SIG sights, SIG night sights, and Smith & Wesson night sights required some adjustment. Even the Taurus .45/.410 revolver has sights that make the GI sights look more like bumps. I was reminded of my Bulgarian Makarov's sights. But after the first few rounds we both got the hang of it. We fire at a IPSC target from 25'.

After getting used to the pistol Leah's next 21 rounds had 1 outside of a 2" circle. Let me tell you folks that you do not want this woman shooting at you. Later, she fired 7 rapid fire and held a 2.5 to 3" group. We both fired two handed and one handed at various times. I did quite well right handed. It felt very natural. I was trained with the M1911-A1 back in the dark ages to fire one handed. Left handed was another story. My left wrist is not strong and I usually have a very sore wrist after shooting left handed. I tried a few, but the wrist did not feel good and the shooting was not very good.

Since we were getting used to the pistol and putting breakin rounds through the pistol I decided to try a different shooting stance and fired several mags using isosceles. I am right handed, but left eye dominant and thought that using isosceles might allow me to keep both eyes open. I was right. I was able to keep both eyes open and shoot pretty good from the isosceles stance. It doesn't feel natural yet, but I'm going to keep it up for a while and see if my shooting continues good. If so I'll probably keep at it.

The pistol itself was a dream. As we continued to fire mag after mag the whole pistol appeared to loosen up. The slide release went from requiring both hands to requiring only one. The trigger got a little smoother and seemed to require less pull as we continued to shoot. The serrated trigger surface will take some getting used to. My finger is sore from it, but your finger does not slip on the surface. We had only enough time for a short session, but next week-end we should put a couple hundred more rounds through the GI .45. I'll post more impressions then.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Very nice George and a good choice

Excellent choice of weapon! I've been wanting to get one of the GI 45s to add to the stable. I also got my start with 1911s while working for my uncle (Ft. Benning, Ft. Riley, Ft. Hood) and it always brings back memories. Kudos to you and your cool wife for shooting together. I know I feel a lot better knowing my well-armed young bride has my back!
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

A great gun, for a great price. Nice purchase!
    Last edited by floridaguy911; September 18th, 2006 at 06:25 PM.
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

Well George has Leah asked for her own yet? Like I said earlier, I see a Commander length 1911 in her future. I know how you must be feeling. I sure feel good when I buy an inexpensive pistol and have it work 100% the first time out.
    The power of the future is in its ability to inspire the present.

Yup!

Excellent choice George. I made the mistake of letting my wife use my Colt 1911 Series 80 to qualify with at our CHL renewal two weeks ago and she now claims it as her own. Oh the pain! It has a Bar-Sto barrel, McCormick sear, Wilson Beavertail and Bo-Mar taget sights. In general it was tricked out by me years ago for competition and was exactly the way I wanted it. After confiscating the thing and giving me back her 5 shot S&W .38, she ordered a Crimson Trace laser grip for the thing. Now she is asking me about Novak Combat Tritium. I gotta tell you, this sucks in one way but is OK in another. Our 21 yr old daughter took her CHL test this last weekend and used "Mom's" gun. I see problems in my future. Enjoy your weapon, it is a fine one.

Jeff

Nice Gun, Nice Wife!

My wife also bought me my first 1911 (Kimber Custom 2).
    Now if she'll only get me the EB I want

George

VIP Member
    This afternoon the wife and I fired another 100 perfect rounds through the 1911. That makes 200 WWB rounds without a single problem. I have more ammo coming for me to try. We will shoot some JHP and some other brands of FMJ next time. This time we fired two handed, right handed, and left handed with no problems.

My wife decided to take her Bersa .380 to shoot. It has been a couple of months since she shot it and decided she needed to keep familiar with it. She shot 4 mags and said she wanted to shoot the Springfield. On the way home she said that shooting the Bersa was like shooting a cap pistol. Below is a picture of her target after the first 15 rounds with the Springfield.

As usual she is accurate.

I shot pretty well for me. I am still trying to change to isosceles and using two eyes. Today I discovered something else about myself. I am right handed and left eye dominant, but the left eye is barely dominant. I discovered that if I am not careful sometimes the right eye will be the one that focuses which means that sometimes if I am not careful the round goes way off to the left. When I was careful and made sure the left eye was the one focusing on the front sight I got excellent results.

I tried some quick fire today as well. I would put a mag in the pistol and put the safety on. The I would quickly bring the pistol us sweeping the safety off as it came up. As soon as the left hand was in place and the right arm fully extended I started firing and would pull the trigger again as soon as the gun was back on target. Two things I noticed. One I automatically closed my left eye and second the Springfield is back on target almost before the trigger resets. Two mags this way and all 15 rounds were in the upper half of the A zone on the IPSC silhouette target. Leah's shooting this way was not quite as good as mine, but the 1911 is a pretty heavy pistol and I think she had trouble holding it up to fire the full mag.

We are very pleased with the 1911 and look forward to some more break in shooting. Our next two weekends are booked solid and we will not get the opportunity to shoot before October 7. But on the 7th we'll be back sending lead down range and enjoying shooting together.
    George

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links