Joined the Ranks of 1911 Owners/Pics at 22/Range Reports at 35 & 42

This is a discussion on Joined the Ranks of 1911 Owners/Pics at 22/Range Reports at 35 & 42 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went to a gun show today looking for a SIG P239 for my wife. She has been carrying my .357SIG P239 for several weeks ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Joined the Ranks of 1911 Owners/Pics at 22/Range Reports at 35 & 42

VIP Member

Joined the Ranks of 1911 Owners/Pics at 22/Range Reports at 35 & 42

I went to a gun show today looking for a SIG P239 for my wife. She has been carrying my .357SIG P239 for several weeks now. I carry the 9mm. I found one with stainless steel slide used, but the price was more than I had found a new one in nitron for. While looking I had found a Springfield GI .45 1911-A1 for considerably less than the P239. I have been planning to acquire a 1911, but had not really done any serious looking. Well, after I saw the only P239 I went back around to see what else was available. When I passed the Springfields again I lingered a little longer and while standing there looking (this next phrase may not be familiar to all of you, but I don't think it will need explanation) while standing there looking that Springfield flung a craving on me.

Well, I went on back around and looked at a couple of rifles I have an interest in, but my mind was on the Springfield. Finally, I took the cell phone and called my wife. I explained carefully that I had found a .357SIG P239, but that it was $600 and used. I told her I figured I could get the price down some, but no way would it be below $500. I then explained that I was willing to make a sacrifice and let her keep carrying my .357 P239 because I had found a .45 1911 that I could get for under $500. I was prepared for some tough bargaining, but she said that she did not see any sense in us having two P239s in .357 and asked if this was the gun I had been talking about wanting. I replied that yes it was and prepared to negotiate. She then said, "OK." I made sure I understood her correctly. Then said that over the next few months when we were not in such a hurry we could find a .40 cal. P239. She said that she would give me back my .357 when we found the .40 cal. later. You could have knocked me over with a feather.

Anyway I went back to the table with the Springfields and found the owner of the business standing there talking to a friend. When they finished and the friend left, about 2 minutes, he turned and there was no one else at the table but me. I asked about the Springfield and he gave me an excellent price, which I immediately took. I then became the owner of a 1911-A1. Also picked up a Wilson Combat mag from the same dealer. I am going to do a quick disassembly and cleaning now and will take some photos after that. I expect to have them posted later tonight.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Wow, you have an ultra-cool wife! Congrats on the new addition to your family.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

VIP Member
    Ditto on the ultra-cool wife, George! Congratulations on your newest addition to the family...
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Well George, it's about time you got yourself a 1911. We'll be standing by waiting for a range report. What an understanding woman your wife is.
    The power of the future is in its ability to inspire the present.

Congrats on a fine weapon.

Important Side Note...

yes, your wife is cool...yes, she apparently enjoys guns...
    But make sure there's some jewelry in there somewhere mixed in with the guns...it ALWAYS works!

If fact, Labor Day weekend was our 35th year.
    We went to St. Augustine Beach for the weekend.
    I was not sure how to let her know that I was getting another gun.

Well...she spotted some jewelry...$500 worth...I said, "No, problem...you deserve it!"
    She said, "Then you should get something, too!"
    I said, "I think I'm going to go ahead and get that Glock-36 I have been looking at..."

She said, ...nothing...she was too busy looking at her jewelery. I got the gun the week before...shhhhhhh!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Lead Moderator
    A 1911! Oh, the shame!!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    Good wife....good gun....congrats on having both of them!
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Sounds as if you and your wife each
    believe the other is a keeper !!

Congrats on the 1911.

Glad to hear you've joined the ranks. Be very, very carefull. 1911's are a highly addictive substance. Oh sure it starts out innocently enough. I just need that one govt. model. But soon you will find your hands reaching for the commanders at the show, without even thinking about it. Then it might be a long slide, a .38 super, officers, micro compact, oh the horror! This gets followed by the next step in the chain of addiction, leather. Some also mix in assorted magazines, extended safeties, extended slide releases, trijicon. Just think what all this could cost!!!!!

You could avoid all this by stopping now and sending it to one of us who is past reformation............

Need my address?
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

OD*
    Congrats on the 1911A1
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

Outstanding George; both the gun and the wife!
    As previously mentioned however, they can be addictive, so if you decide to get rid of that mediocre Springer, I would consider taking it off your hands...
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

VIP Member
    I'm about to put the 1911 back together and dropped in to see the responses. The wife really likes them.

I see that some of you are under the misconception that 1911s are new to me because I just bought one. Allow me to correct that misconception. I was using a 1911 before some of you were born. I qualified with the M1911-A1 in July 1969 at ROTC summer camp, Fort Bragg, NC. I carried one at least 2 or 3 days a month from June 1971 through December 1972 as pay officer at Fort Ord, CA. I was allowed to fire some very fine ones as Range Safety Officer for the 6th Army Pistol Team, Fort Ord, CA during 1971 and 1972. I will admit that I have never owned one until now and I have not fired one since 1974.

When I got back into firearms last year I immediately started looking at and lusting for a 1911. At the time I had a S&W 439 and a Mossberg Maverick 88 12 ga. My initial purchases were pistols for carry or home. Only in the past few months have I allowed my attention to stray and to linger over the possibility of buying a 1911. In February I showed unusual strength by walking away from a Springfield Milspec for slightly over $400.

I walked away because I needed something for my wife to carry. We have been through several different attempts to find the perfect (or as close as possible) carry guns. Funny but we both from different directions came to the decision that the SIG P239 was the "perfect" carry gun for us. Because she and I both that what we thought was the gun for carry back in July I purchase the S&W 1066 10mm in August. In August while firing my P239 .357SIG my wife changed her mind about the 9mm she had been carrying and decided that even though the P239 was heavier the balance of it made it feel lighter. So I sold her 9mm, loaned her my .357 P239 and went looking for her one in any caliber. You know the rest of the story from the first post in the thread.

I have thought and continue to believe that the 1911 is the most natural feeling gun I have ever held. It fells like a natural extension to my arm. It feels like it belongs. Tomorrow I plan to fire a 1911 for the first time in 32 years and I expect it to feel like it has only been a week. Range report tomorrow. Pictures later tonight.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

We'll be standing by. Don't forget to take your better half with you to the range. She deserves that and lunch, dinner, maybe a show and after, who knows.
    The power of the future is in its ability to inspire the present.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mkeBob View Post
    We'll be standing by. Don't forget to take your better half with you to the range. She deserves that and lunch, dinner, maybe a show and after, who knows.
    Don't worry she will be there shooting the Springfield better than I do. We will also be shooting the Taurus 44 Ten revolver using .410 000 buck shot to get some idea of the pattern we are getting from it. She shoots everything we have and always better than I do. From the Kel-Tec P32 through the Bersa .380, Makarovs, 9mm S&W and SIG, .357SIG, 10mm S&W, and the Taurus .410 & .45 Colt.

The only things she doesn't shoot better than me are the .22 mag. derringer, old S&W Regulation Police .32 Long, and the .38 S&W revolver. The only reason for these is she can't pull the trigger on the derringer and she doesn't like to cock the .32 long and the .38 S&W. She can't pull the trigger on the two Smith revolvers except in single action. So she doesn't shoot them. The trigger pull on the Taurus is more than she can manage, but I insist she fire it since it is the house gun. She fires it single action, but knows that if there is a need to use it she will be able to pull the trigger because of adrenaline.
    George

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links