To port or not to port...that is the question!

This is a discussion on To port or not to port...that is the question! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have always LOVED my Glock 45's. However, I decided to get a G23 gen 4 (.40 cal) as my new primary carry gun. It's ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: To port or not to port...that is the question!

To port or not to port...that is the question!

I have always LOVED my Glock 45's. However, I decided to get a G23 gen 4 (.40 cal) as my new primary carry gun. It's the compact version, slimmer and more light weight than my G30SF. I got a Blackhawk holster with the extra lock (you can't remove the gun from the holster without pushing the button on the side of the holster). Plus I got two of the matching mag holsters. The problem is...I HATE this gun!!!! The recoil is SO different from my .45s. It pops upward which is very different than my .45s. I should have asked around, because everyone I ask, says, "yes, the.40 cal. really pops"! I can VERY accurately shoot my .45s one handed, but it takes two hands to shoot the .40 and I'm not nearly as accurate. I know that with enough practice, I'll get better, but I hate that I'm not as accurate as I am with my .45s, especially when it's my primary carry gun!

Some have said that having the .40 cal ported will greatly decrease the upward the recoil. Others have said that it will only make a minimal improvement. Anyone else have this problem? Anyone have their .40 ported and did it make a meaningful difference? Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!
    Pistols: Glock 21SF, Glock 30SF, Colt 1911 GCT (all .45ACP),
    Revolvers: Ruger SP 101 (.357MAG/.38SP), Judge (.410G/.45LC)

Long guns: Daniel Defense AR-15's (M4V4 and M4V5), Mossberg Shotguns (400 and 500, both 12G), Ruger (.22;LR)

2. Remove Ads

Porting the barrel on a CCW is NOT recommended! In a close-in SD situation, you could easily be delivering yourself a face-full of muzzle-blast. FWIW

Regards,
    Jim
    kmagnuss and Secret Spuk like this.

Administrator
    Mag-na-port would be the only porting that I would even consider on a defensive handgun due to the way it directs expelled gasses but, honestly I think for the difference that it's going to make coupled with the cost...you're probably better off taking a slight beating on your firearm AKA trading it back and choosing another caliber.

Find the gun and caliber that best suits you. Don't try to force yourself to adapt to a handgun and caliber that you're very obviously not loving very much.

Were I you I would dump it in a New York minute. bye-bye!
    Rock and Glock and Hopyard like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Yeah, I ditched my .40 cal G-23 and stuck with my 9mm's & .45 ACP's. Both are easier to shoot and control than the .40 cal in my opinion.

While I had my G-23 for about 12 years and grew to really love it, and shoot it well, there's no doubt the 9mm & .45 are easier shooters, and the 9mm is cheaper on ammo. I still shoot my .45's from time to time, but with the cost of ammo plus the larger ammo capacity, I am shooting and carrying 9mm's these days.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I have a ported .357 (Charter Mag Pug) that spits burning powder back at my face when I shoot it.

I would save my money for something more fun than that.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Im with Bark'n and QKShooter on this one. If the .40 is too much and you don't like it, dump it for something you like.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

So you THINK that you would like to carry a ported pistol?
    Try shooting one from retention...you'll need sun tan lotion for your face.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Dynamics of recoil is very different between .40 and .45. While I love the .40 round, a wrist injury several years ago has made it almost impossible to shoot it enough to maintain proficiency with it.

As to porting. If it was a range/target/hunting gun, I'd have no problem with porting, but for a carry gun IMO it's not a good idea. Your gases are ported up and rearward. Not something I want, especially if I have to use it at night in low light situations.
    kmagnuss likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Having a ported G23 would be like needing a muzzle brake on a 10/22. Then what others have already said as well. Maintain that crush grip on the pistol, and if you really think it will help, get a tungsten recoil rod. Besides all of that........get a different caliber if it's not manageable.

I'd just sell it in a MINUTE if I hadn't already accumulated well over 1000 rounds of ammo! I think I'll practice some more to see if I can get a better handle on it. If not, I'll just take the gun, ammo and holster to the next gun show and try to sell the whole lot!
    Pistols: Glock 21SF, Glock 30SF, Colt 1911 GCT (all .45ACP),
    Revolvers: Ruger SP 101 (.357MAG/.38SP), Judge (.410G/.45LC)

Long guns: Daniel Defense AR-15's (M4V4 and M4V5), Mossberg Shotguns (400 and 500, both 12G), Ruger (.22;LR)

VIP Member
    I have a .40 which I had ported by Magna Port. I know it helped the tilt some but not enough. It is obvious
    that being ported reduces its usefulness as a combat gun.

If you are determined to port your gun I can say Magna Port did a beautiful job of it. I am very pleased
    with how it turned out.

Other options to try before you port are changes in the ammo. I've used various 165 gr, 135 gr, and even a long discontinued
    125 gr. Bullet weight and brand make noticeable differences. I stay away from the 180.

Finally, do some work on your wrist and arm strength. A little bit of added strength goes a long way to solving
    the problem.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

I think you should just learn to shoot it. I guess recoil is an subjective thing, but it's hard for me to imagine a 40 S&W being that much of a problem.
    bmcgilvray and Bad Bob like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I think you should just learn to shoot it. I guess recoil is an subjective thing, but it's hard for me to imagine a 40 S&W being that much of a problem.
    I thoroughly agree.

An interesting read highlighting the pro's and con's:

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/port.pdf

learn to control recoil and lift some weights and get some grip strengthening tools and it will be fine

There is no way I'd opt for even more openings for gasses and particles to come out of handguns beside than the muzzle, and the barrel/cylinder gap on the revolver. Have shot others' ported handguns and have always felt that the down side to such modifications more than outweigh the benefits of recoil reduction. The .40 S&W seems a nice, well-mannered cartridge to me.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links