LCR in .357 or CM9?

LCR in .357 or CM9?

This is a discussion on LCR in .357 or CM9? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would like to pick something up that will fill the gap between my G26 and my p3at. While I can carry my G26 about ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: LCR in .357 or CM9?

LCR in .357 or CM9?

I would like to pick something up that will fill the gap between my G26 and my p3at. While I can carry my G26 about 75 percent of the time with no issues it would be nice to have something a bit smaller and lighter for occasional carry. I'm drawn to the LCR because of the .357 round but I appreciate the faster reloads and 2 more rounds in the CM9. Both guns weight about the same but the CM9 is a bit thinner. Another bonus of the CM9 would be that it shares ammo with all the rest of my current defensive pistols (minus my p3at) but the LCR would share ammo with the lever action that it would give me an excuse to buy. Overall, I like both. What do you think?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I'm all about revolvers these days and I have nothing but praise for my LCR.
    GhostMaker likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I went with the revolver although it wasn't the Ruger. Although a revolver can malfunction, it eliminates common problems like failure to feed and failure to eject. A .357 in a light weight gun is a bear to shoot, but I didn't buy it for a range gun. When it positively has to be concealed and still has to be large enough to get the job done, the little revolver is my choice.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I'm drawn to the LCR because of the .357 round ...
    Have you ever shot the LCR in .357 magnum? It's a tad over 13oz. While Ruger claims "manageable recoil," in .357 it's going to be a handful. My S&W 442 at 15oz was a bit shocking with a stout .38 in terms of how hard it pounded the hand. By far, at least for me, the Ruger SP-101 was more manageable than the 442, even with full-house .357 loads. Something to consider, perhaps.
    Sig35seven likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Have you ever shot the LCR in .357 magnum? It's a tad over 13oz. While Ruger claims "manageable recoil," in .357 it's going to be a handful. My S&W 442 at 15oz was a bit shocking with a stout .38 in terms of how hard it pounded the hand. By far, at least for me, the Ruger SP-101 was more manageable than the 442, even with full-house .357 loads. Something to consider, perhaps.
    The LCR in .357 is 17 ounces. The .38 model is 13 ounces. To answer your question though, no, I haven't shot .357 out of a LCR.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

VIP Member
    If you are going to get a snubby pass on the Ruger and get a S&W. I have now seen two of these LCR's cracked at my local range.
    gottabkiddin likes this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I have the LCR .357. I use the boot grip for better concealment and have ruled out the stouter loads with this grip since they are just too punchy. I've been trying to save up for a CM9 but my funds keep getting robbed by various home and auto priorities. I view the CM9 as "more pocketable" than the LCR.

C hawk Glock, I'd be curious for some more information on the cracked LCRs.

Rollo - You posted on my "Getting off the Pocket 9mm Merry Go Round" thread, so I know you've read of my experience at this.

I would suggest you consider the LCR in .38 Spl, and load it up with SWCs in 158 gr weight. You don't even really need to use +P. What you gain with the .357 out of a snubbie you lose in excessive flash, bang, recoil, and slower follow-up shots.

IIRC, you used to carry a SP101, so carrying a revolver at times instead of the Glock will be familiar to you. The LCR just weighs a whole lot less!

Keep your P3at, and use it as your "NY reload" when you carry the revolver.

JMHO. Good luck!
    KSP and Philly Boy like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Never used the high power loads in my LCR .357; found that, for me, the .38's were plenty good--- especially after I tried the .357 round TWICE!. Then I added a Variant spring loaded speed loader from bobmac.com, made in Germany, and I was good to go.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

I truly love the Ruger LCR's. I chose the 38 over the 357 because it is 3oz lighter. I also have the LCR with the front night sight and the tamer boot grips. I also have my P3AT like you and I have a G27 instead of a G26. The Ruger mostly gets carried when I need deap concealment. Can't say much good about the CM9 except it is light and small. I sold mine after having it for less than two weeks.
    Philly Boy likes this.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Even though I have a fully functional PM9 I would suggest the LCR 357 and try it with 357 rounds, if you do not like it, then just use .38's in it. Plus with it being 3 ounces heavier than the regular LCR 38 special will help even more. I hope this helps. God Bless

Lcr 357

Have you ever compared a G26 and an LCR side by side? Not much difference in size and thickness. If you're truly looking for a size of pistol between the G26 and P3AT, the CM9 is the answer. I have the LCP, PM9 and the G26 as well as a 442 in my pocket carry rotation. The PM9 get the lion's share of carry time with G26 next...
    "We Dare Defend Our Rights", Alabama State Motto...

i bought the lcr in .38 cal last summer,just wanted something with a little more punch then my lcp..at the time,i also considered the cm9 and lc9 but ended up buying the lcr..main reason for me was the weight differance,i like pocket carrying and the lcr in .38 weighed only 13.50 ozs..as far as the lcr.357 vs .38 i'd recommend just loading the lcr.38 with +p loads and save yourself the extra 4 oz

Out of the 2 I would go with the LCR but in 38 spl. Even shooting full mag loads in the S&W m19 I have is a handful and the noise, flash and kick well not pleasant.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links