CZ 82

This is a discussion on CZ 82 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am considering buying a CZ82. I don't have any local shops that have a CZ82. I will have to buy one online. I found ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By archer51

Thread: CZ 82

CZ 82

I am considering buying a CZ82. I don't have any local shops that have a CZ82. I will have to buy one online. I found some online for around $210 plus shipping, taxes and transfer fees. So I will be looking about $270. I am just not sure if it would be a good investment or If I should just pick something else up. This firearm will be for a range gun, home defense and concealed carry. What your thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    IMO they are great little guns. Price is right on them, plenty of holsters available, Cheap target ammo is abundant. Defensive ammo is available, although 9X18 Makarov is not as plentiful as more popular defensive loads. Georgia Arms sales both target and defensive loads, and Hornady Custom puts out a 96gr XTP round for it.
    sensei2 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I liked my CZ-82 for the most part. It was really accurate because of the rifling used. The sights were decent. It was one of the first handguns I ever purchased and was my first concealed carry piece. However, the really thick grip made it less than ideal for concealed carry. Also, the recoil was pretty stout and would start to sting your hand after a while.

I sold mine because it was never 100% reliable, I got tired of buying 9x18 ammo, and I never seem to shoot DA/SA pistols in DA mode well. The only problem with mine was that the slide would often lock back with one or two rounds left in the mag.

Makes a fun plinking/range gun, but for a similar price I'd pick up something like a Kel-tec 9mm for concealed carry (especially if this will be your only handgun).

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    An online store is charging you Tax? Is your online source in your home state?

Quote Originally Posted by sid1 View Post
    An online store is charging you Tax? Is your online source in your home state?
    No the store is not in my home state. I have never purchased a firearm online but I assumed there would be tax.

Quote Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
    I liked my CZ-82 for the most part. It was really accurate because of the rifling used. The sights were decent. It was one of the first handguns I ever purchased and was my first concealed carry piece. However, the really thick grip made it less than ideal for concealed carry. Also, the recoil was pretty stout and would start to sting your hand after a while.

I sold mine because it was never 100% reliable, I got tired of buying 9x18 ammo, and I never seem to shoot DA/SA pistols in DA mode well. The only problem with mine was that the slide would often lock back with one or two rounds left in the mag.

Makes a fun plinking/range gun, but for a similar price I'd pick up something like a Kel-tec 9mm for concealed carry (especially if this will be your only handgun).

I have considered the PF-9 I can get one at a local shop for $299. I know am a consider about about getting one because of the negative comments about it. It seems like its a hit or miss thing.

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    i got a CZ 82 2 weeks ago and blasted away with it NO ISSUES,great gun....way sturdier than any PF0
    I paid 199 plus the ride via ClassicFirearms

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I bought my CZ-82(s) from CDNN and total costs ran pretty close to the $270 you quoted. Best $270 I've spent on a gun in a long time! Ambi controls, DA/SA, 12-rd mag. The only common minuses are the grips tend to work loose due to a single screw attaqchment (many online fixes) and the mag release can be crappy. Parts are available thru CZ-USA (most are the same as a CZ-83).

I originally bought it as a "project gun" to refinish. The thing shhot so sweet it's become one of my favorite shooters. I reload my own ammo, make the cases out of 9mm Lugers I pick up free at the range, so for me it's inexpensive to shoot. Online ammo can be found relatively cheap also.

The trigger on mine is great in both DA/SA, and it has yet to malfucntion with any ammo I run. The local gunsmith swore it wouldn't hit the broad side of a barn as its barrel was "worn out." Guess he'd never seen the poly barrel the 82 uses. I'll admit it does look as it the rifling hasd been stripped out, but it shoots as accurately as my Glock or S&Ws do.

Powerwise, it less than the 9mm Luger, more than a .380. It's a viable carry gun, a tad heavy due to being all steel, but the 12-round mag gives ample supply to punch a BG more than one or twice.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Great guns had Two of these done in Robar. Use Hornady Critical defense and they shoot,as good as they look. Excellent quality low,cost gun.

One of, if not the BEST mil-surp pistol on the market. I had one, and after a few range sessions quickly grabbed up another one. Can shoot it as well as my GLock 19 and 26, and have never had a failure of any kind. NONE. The 9mm Makarov ammo is available at Academy, cheaper than 9mm, and it even is fully reliable with the Wolf steel cased crap that causes problems with most auto-loaders.

I think you will be thrilled with it. Have had mine for several years and the only issue is cosmetic: they used God-awful black paint that tends to chip and peel pretty easily. It doesn't bother the function at all, but that's why the Robar and other finishes have become so popular with it...anything will last longer and look better than the cheap factory finish. However it is a tool, not a show-piece, but if you want to dress it up, there are people that can re-finish it, and even provide really nice walnut grips for it.

Be warned: once you fire it, you will likely want to grab another one! For the price and features, it should be selling at $400-500. And it would be worth every penny at that price.

Links