A real EDC gun for real people

This is a discussion on A real EDC gun for real people within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is, I am truly convinced, the j frame 38spl revolver. What leads me to this conclusion? Well, first let me say this; I'm not saying ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: A real EDC gun for real people

A real EDC gun for real people

Is, I am truly convinced, the j frame 38spl revolver. What leads me to this conclusion? Well, first let me say this; I'm not saying it's the " best" or only choice for " all " people. That of course is debatable, and leaves open alot of room for personal preferences.

I reached this conclusion some years ago, after more years of concealed carry. As most here know from experiences of your own, the edc of a firearm can be quite a hassle. Everybody has a favorite platform/ caliber combination that brings one a certain security/comfort psychology, based upon performance factors of the given carry combo. But dressing around such a piece can be a pain in the rear. Service sized guns do not lend themselves well to hot summertime wear, and the various holsters that remotely allow this are expensive and uncomfortable.

Let's face it; even if one can effectively hide a big gun, as you get older, little things start happening to your body. Lower back pain begins to set in, knee joints start hurting, and shoulder joints start making it more difficult to access that grip in a high carry holster on the strong side at 4 or 5 o'clock positions.
    Even for the younger, and newer CCW carriers among us, the practicality of a large, service size weapon gets old very quickly. As the novelty wears off, it grows in size and weight.

Of course, the solution for many is to simply scale down, and look for a compromise. For many, that means choosing a smaller gun, usually staying with the semi auto platform, which is easier to carry and hide, but also quick to reload, and maintains a capacity above 6 or 7.

The problem I have noticed, is that this compromise has it's drawbacks also. And others seem to be seeing it too. Especially the older more seasoned CCW weapon carrier.
    It seems like that scaled down autos have a greater rate of malfunctioning issues. But this isn't new. We, that have been around for awhile can remember the issues with the Colt Officers model years back. It seems that if a cartridge is designed to perform in a service sized platform, making that platform smaller always brings along reliability problems.

Of course, there are small autos, such as the PPK, which were designed around smaller, weaker cartridges such as the 32 acp, or 380, that work with an acceptable degree of reliability as a general rule of thumb.

But these too, have trade offs. Expensive, heavy, and smaller cartridges, all detract from that psychological " comfort" that one has in mind when the service sized gun was chosen in the first place.

Over the years, I think I could fill the bed of my truck up with the guns that have been tried and traded or sold for the next one in search of the one gun that could have been the most useful, go anywhere, dependable firearm I could have had. And, I say this with a degree of embarrassed humility.

The lightweight snub-nosed 38 spl, is, for all intents and purposes as a carry gun for personal defense, about as perfect as I could ask for.
    Notice, I said " personal defense". With this piece, I am not going to shoot it out with terrorist who decide to take over my local mall, not going to make any " last stands" against zombies, or rogue militia groups, or other fantastic events.
    I am not going to knock down doors serving felony warrants, or chase villains from roof tops either.

But, for carrying in a pocket holster, either front or back, ankle, or IWB, OWB, and going about my daily life, it rules.
    I could carry 2 or 3 without the weight, discomfort and bulk of an average service gun.
    I don't worry about it jamming, or being finicky about ammo, too much lube or not enough. Any bullet design of any weight will shoot out of the barrel. It simply puts them where aimed.

One of the strong points about this platform, is the ability to have your hand on it while it's in your pocket. Most real life scenarios involving self defense are up close and personal. If you already have a shooting grip on your pistol, as you ate accosted walking, you are way ahead of the game. Better yet, it can be fired thru the pocket of a jacket if carried that way. You can't get quicker than that.

The J frame, requires a certain amount of dedication to mastering the DA trigger, and short sight radius. It can be unforgiving in this area. But once one has accomplished a satisfactory degree of profiency, making hits at distance is possible.

Some would argue that it's limited in capacity. However, I would stronly disagree. For it's intended purpose, it's capacity is more than adequate.
    The 38spl cartridge is up to the job, and available in numerous loadings and designs. For the shooter who doesn't roll their own, it wont break the bank to buy if you know where to look.
    For the reloader, well, the possibilities are endless.
    And history has proven it to be adequate in leaving people on the receiving end DRT.

No, it may not be for everyone. It does require more practice to shoot well than other, bigger guns. And the scenarios some envision themselves being in will find it lacking in firepower and capacity.

But for the guy or gal who wants something simple, load it and not worry about springs fatiguing, and just desire an adequate , affordable and simple firearm, that is a realistic EDC no matter the attire, I do not think that anyone could hope to find anything more suited to the needs of normal folks in normal lifestyles than a good 38 snubbie, of any kind.

For more info, and a good read, Google " Making the J frame 38 snub work", by the great Stephen Camp.
    msgt/ret, 10thmtn, sid1 and 36 others like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Well said and no argument here, everybody needs at least one J frame.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Nicely put. Very insightful. As Msgt said everyone needs a j frame. Mine is my bug or quick trip out gun and I love it.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    I agree, and they are a sexy looking gun to boot!
    Simonsay likes this.

Gman - Great thread. The only thing I would add is that folks who carry a snub as their main CCW should strongly consider carrying two of them, or another BUG of some kind. That takes care of the main drawbacks of a snub (capacity and reload time) rather nicely. I carried my LCR and LCP today - combined weight is about the same as my G26.

I'm thinking if my first CCW had been an Airweight snub, I might have saved myself a whole lot of time, money, and aggravation.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

I've been debating what I should get for a CCW and this just made up my mind...Thanks! great thread

I can see were old guys might do this, but seeing that Im not old Ill stick with my auto....

Edited for this. Hey G-man, you should change your handle then...Wheel man.38 sounds good....
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Right on, brother!!!! The Airweight snubs rule. My 442 is my go-to gun. Ultimate versatility in mode of carry, grips options, ammo options. Carry 2 at the same time and you're golden.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Gman, Another great "Food For Thought" post!! Love the advice the seasoned vets give all of us who are new to C/C. Have a model 36 S&W that was given to me by my grandfather. It was made in the early 70's as I called S&W to find out. Not quite a snubby but a solid, accurate 38sp that i really enjoy carrying. Deffinetly will get the job done if I do my part.

TC

I have some pretty cool guns in the safe.

They mostly stay there while my 642 goes everywhere with me. It took a whole lot of money spent on other guns and holsters to see the beauty of the J-frame, and particularly the 642.

One thing of note is that my 642 is my most versatile carry piece, and the cheapest to carry. None of my holsters for that gun are particularly expensive, and I wasn't trying to be a cheapskate. That's just how things worked out.
    XDshooter likes this.

VIP Member
    Good thread, but I would change the title to "A real BUG gun for real people".
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Right on, brother!!!! The Airweight snubs rule. My 442 is my go-to gun. Ultimate versatility in mode of carry, grips options, ammo options. Carry 2 at the same time and you're golden.
    Amen to that!

A local store in my area has no-lock 642s and 442s with a military/LEO discount for about $335. Talk about a great deal.

New York reload, here I come!

Quote Originally Posted by tclance View Post
    Gman, Another great "Food For Thought" post!! Love the advice the seasoned vets give all of us who are new to C/C. Have a model 36 S&W that was given to me by my grandfather. It was made in the early 70's as I called S&W to find out. Not quite a snubby but a solid, accurate 38sp that i really enjoy carrying. Deffinetly will get the job done if I do my part.

TC
    If you get in a jam that the 36 can't get you out of, your way in over your paygrade, lol.
    That an heirloom piece ya got there. And while it will certainly get it done, I'd get another in case it has to sit in an evidence room for a few weeks, or get a little abused From use.
    The 70's model 36 were premium handguns.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Good thread, but I would change the title to "A real BUG gun for real people".
    To be honest, I kinda like mine for edc, for about 90% of the time. If going away from " the castle" for awhile, or out of town and into the unknown, I might supplement it with a long gun in the trunk, or behind the seat.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Dang. Now I've got to rethink getting a 9mm pocket gun. Plus I've still got my .38/.357 dies packed away somewhere!
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links