M&P Shield vs. M&P9c

M&P Shield vs. M&P9c

This is a discussion on M&P Shield vs. M&P9c within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As I have not gotten to handle a Shield as of yet, I am wondering about the difference in size and grip thickness, if there ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By sgb
  • 2 Post By Freedomofchoice
  • 2 Post By Toorop

Thread: M&P Shield vs. M&P9c

M&P Shield vs. M&P9c

As I have not gotten to handle a Shield as of yet, I am wondering about the difference in size and grip thickness, if there is any, between the Shield and the M&P9c. Having only looked at pictures of the Shield I have to admit, it really doesn't look like it is all that much smaller or thinner that the M&P9c.

Are there any side by side size comparison photos that anyone knows of that I could look at?
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

sgb
    BugDude and TN_Mike like this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

VIP Member
    It looks freakishly anorexic.
    So long as it functions well..........
    Thanks for the pics sgb
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    The difference in thickness and weight really becomes evident when you carry one in your waste-band all day long. The Shield makes a fantastic carry!
    Bark'n and chapguy like this.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Quote Originally Posted by Freedomofchoice View Post
    The difference in thickness and weight really becomes evident when you carry one in your waste-band all day long. The Shield makes a fantastic carry!
    I carry a 9c. My wife carries a 9mm Shield. Ocassionally we switch 'em up just for variety. There is a significant difference between the two. The 9c I can carry all day long and it doesn't get in the way at all. The Shield...not only does it not get in the way, I forget it's even there.

Shoot-ability...We're both about as accurate with either one.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    The way they look, I'd rather just get the M&P 9c. I figure the extra rounds will be there and I can use the larger M&P 9 magazines if I need to.
    oneshot and TN_Mike like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    The way they look, I'd rather just get the M&P 9c. I figure the extra rounds will be there and I can use the larger M&P 9 magazines if I need to.
    Nothing wrong with that logic.

However, they are two distinctly different guns, and they both really do carry differently.

The Shield makes a great BUG for the M&P 9fs or M&P 9c. You really can't even tell it's being carried.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member
    I can't speak to the 9c. I've got the Shield in 40. Unlike many, I don't find the grip a natural fit, the sights are so so and the trigger is no dream. BUT the dynamics change a great deal when I shoot it. That's when I start loving it. It's a great shooter, comfortable, accurate, quick acquisition. I'm still looking for the perfect holster but I'll be keeping the Shield so it's worthy of the spend now.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Great comparison pic above....that's a significant difference in thickness. I'm sure it makes a big difference when carrying.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Wow. The difference really is in the thickness of the gun.

Great pictures sbg, thanks for posting them!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Nothing wrong with that logic.

However, they are two distinctly different guns, and they both really do carry differently.

The Shield makes a great BUG for the M&P 9fs or M&P 9c. You really can't even tell it's being carried.
    I guess. However I generally carry OWB so carrying IWB is not that big a deal to me. I just like the idea of more rounds for not much more room. It might feel different but I don't think it will be much more noticeable carrying an M&P 9c versus a Shield.

Carry what makes you happy though.

I have the 9c and the Shield .40. The biggest difference, and it is significant to me, is the thickness. Not only is the Shield thinner, but it doesn't have the ambi safety and the safety on the left side is low profile. That makes it perfect for carry in the small of the back or IWB. I usually carry OWB and, like another poster said, you'll forget that it's there.

Another big difference is that the Shield fits in my front jeans pocket. The 9c doesn't.

Links