report - browning hipower practical

This is a discussion on report - browning hipower practical within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; browning hipower "practical" 9mm ( http://browning.com photo) my recently purchased hipower, notice the safety lever is colored like the frame (instead of like the slide ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

browning hipower "practical" 9mm (http://browning.com photo)

my recently purchased hipower, notice the safety lever is colored like the frame (instead of like the slide as shown on the browning.com picture above)

browning hipower shown beside a springfield TRP for size comparison

the browning hipower practical no longer appears on the browning.com browning centerfire pistols web page. i dont know if they have stopped production, but i found this was an adequate excuse to buy yet another of these fine weapons. it also gives me a reason to do a range/overall report.

few weapons have ever known the global success of the browning hipower. from well before WW2 to today, the hipower is still the choice of military personnel and police all over the world.

what i like
    - the browning hipower practical is the most asthetically pleasing weapon ive ever seen. its almost to "pretty" to shoot.

- the ergonomics are such that this weapon is a natural pointer. based on john brownings original p35 (which in many ways i consider an improved 1911) its no surprise that it would be a natural fit for me. picking it up and aiming it is as natural and raising my arm and pointing my finger.

- the classic browning action without the 1911 plunger makes field stripping very simple, with no idiot marks to worry about during reassembly.

- this weapon is proven, reliable, accurate, and very simple to use.

- although the dimensions are somewhat similar to a 1911, the slimmer design makes it slightly easier to conceal.

what i dont like
    - caliber. the hipower is available in both 9mm and .40. although id rather have 9mm than .40, neither of these loads are my preferred defensive load (i think with a little reverse engineering, this weapon would fit a single stack .45 acp magazine). although i really dont feel under-gunned with hot 9mm +P loads, i would still prefer a 230 grain .45 acp +P hollowpoint.

- trigger. a lot of creep which isnt to bad, but there is no clear reset point making a double tap extremely difficult, and clumsy at best.

- hammer bite. this weapon doesnt have a beaver tail so unless i pay close attention to my grip i get a painful reminder each time the web of my hand creeps up underneath the hammer.

bottom line
    the browning hipower has a rich heritage that continues to grow stronger with no sign of slowing. while domestically it hasnt found the success of the 1911, globally it has surpassed it many times over (due to both the superior design as well as the globally accepted 9mm caliber). its one of the smoothest weapons youll ever fire, and i wont hesitate to carry it as my primary weapon. it is the only weapon i have ever believed truly comparable to the 1911, and while i consider it a second choice to a fine 1911, its awful dang close.

VIP Member
    Thanks for the report.

My first gun is a BHP Mark II which introduced that style of safety. It's fine gun that is still in my collection and will remain until I'm six feet under.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Assistant Administrator
    Nice report - and I share the love of BHP's.

Here's mine which has seen carry duty. Right now it is sorely in need of some overdue range time!!!

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Good write-up and nice pictures...

I also have a BHP Practical and love it. It also had the creepy trigger until I took it to a local smith and had the magazine disconnect hardware removed. This is a safety mechanism that prevents the pistol from firing unless a magazine is inserted (it eliminates the "see, I've pulled the loaded magazine out and now the pistol is unloaded...BANG!...oops, forgot the one in the chamber..."). It is also a plunger, spring, and lever that the trigger has to move in order to fire the pistol.

Many people will warn you that you should never disable a factory safety on a handgun because of the legal liability...I did some research and was unable to locate reference to even one case where someone was held liable for performing this modification.

I'm only sure of 3 things about my Hi-Power now...it will fire without a magazine inserted if a round is in the chamber (just like all my other pistols.. ), it now has a smooth and crisp trigger break right at 4 lbs., and it is the most accurate semi-auto handgun I own.

Enjoy yours!...
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Lead Moderator
    Nice write up and great looking Hi power!
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by Team American View Post
    Good write-up and nice pictures.
    many thanks (collectively, to everyone).

It also had the creepy trigger until I took it to a local smith and had the magazine disconnect hardware removed.
    i really dont like a magazine disconnect. although id prefer it not be an issue i can deal with the creepy trigger. the part i really want to change is the unclear point of reset (no "click" like with 1911s/glocks). particularly with 9mm, i feel that double tapping is important. is there any way you know of to give this great weapon a distinctive reset? perhaps mr. camp can offer up a suggestion for this. mr. camp?

1951 - 2011
    Hello. I am not aware of any gunsmiths who've come up with a way to make the trigger provide the distinct click or "feel" when the gun resets, nor do I know of any ways to do this. Some do reduce the take up in the trigger so that there's less movement possible before the slack is removed and therefore somewhat limiting the forward maximum distance the trigger can move when released.

Best.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen A. Camp View Post
    I am not aware of any gunsmiths who've come up with a way to make the trigger provide the distinct click or "feel" when the gun resets, nor do I know of any ways to do this.
    many thanks. have you any recommendations on how to train to double tap this weapon?

1951 - 2011
    Hello. The folks that I've seen have problems with it have almost always been those who've heavily used the 1911 pattern pistol with its excellent short and positive reset. One of my usual shooting friends is poison quick and accurate with the 5" 1911, but had the same problem you mention. A couple of dedicated sessions with his Hi Power seemed to make a difference.

I've shot the things so long that I simply don't notice it as a problem, but much as I like the Hi Power, I just don't think that there's any mechanical way to get the reset...so that leaves practicing with the weapon until the reset issue is resolved through many repetitions and becomes second nature.

Best and good shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen A. Camp View Post
    The folks that I've seen have problems with it have almost always been those who've heavily used the 1911 pattern pistol with its excellent short and positive reset.
    <raising hand> thats me for sure. the reset on my 1911(s) is great, but i dont typically train to automatically double tap a low capacity .45 in the same way that i do with my glock 17 (which has even a sweeter reset point than my 1911s.......very prominent).

that leaves practicing with the weapon until the reset issue is resolved through many repetitions and becomes second nature.
    sorta what i figured, thanks. one thing ive always liked about the bhp is that i can go from carrying a 1911 to carrying a bhp without any retraining. the ergonomics are identical, both require a natural sweep of the thumb safety while drawing, and both are on target instinctually. the trigger reset is the only real difference that i notice (other than of course, the double/single stack grip width difference).

have you heard anything about the production status of this weapon? i notice that after 15 years or so, the practical no longer shows on the browning website.

thanks again,

excellent write up i still think about a hi power every now and then i think i will eventually get one

Senior Moderator
    Nice pics! Great gun! It does have a bit of a trigger problem.

Kinda makes you want to watch "The Body Guard" - Kevin Costner, carried a BHP in the movie.

TA,
    I did the same thing; had a gunsmith remove the mag safety. I also put a Wolff Gunspring reduced power hammer spring in it. The trigger is much improved.

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White View Post
    i still think about a hi power every now and then i think i will eventually get one
    every 1911 enthusiast owes it to himself and jmb to have at least one bhp.

as much as you like the 1911, you should find the bhp to be just as natural.

yeah but jmb didnt totally design the BHP

not totally, but the p35 is close enough for me to call it good. i dont see it any different than considering my TRP to be a 1911 despite many improvements to jmb's original and awesome design.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links