General musings on finally getting it down to THE ONE GUN

This is a discussion on General musings on finally getting it down to THE ONE GUN within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been bouncing around a bit over the past year getting things down to THE GUN. Glocks, kahr, pf9, various revolvers. Like many of you ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: General musings on finally getting it down to THE ONE GUN

I've been bouncing around a bit over the past year getting things down to THE GUN. Glocks, kahr, pf9, various revolvers.

Like many of you I just had to deal with carrying the firearms in question before their advantages and shortcomings bacame evident each time seemingly narrowing down to what for me will be the gun I carry for years.

I feel its important to NOT bounce around whimsically and carry one gun you trust and can use with your eyes closed.

I think I'm at that point where between the two ccw choices I have narrowed it down to one will go in the nightstand and the other will live on my hip. It appears as though its all coming down to WEIGHT.

The guns in question are a ruger speed six and a Taurus 905 9mm revolver.

I've shot both a great deal now especially the 905 and both are prooving extremely trustworthy. I got the speed six because of its added power and sixth shot compared to the tauruses 5. Its a very finely fitted and rugged piece that's as smooth as buttered glass.

By comparison the Taurus is kinda rugged to use much like a heavy duty truck transmission compared to a sport sedan. But like a sm465 its a solid rugged roughness that you know you can depend on.

But the main thing between these two is the Ruger is 40% heavier than the 905 and as a result is always pulling my pants earthward in such a way I can never quite "forget its there". This has become especially evident since the weather has gotten so damn hot. You wouldn't think it'd matter but that additional .75" of barrel is also very evident as it pokes into my upper thigh.

In a way I lament the loss of the sixth shot and it certainly seems counterintuitive to select a gun finished more like a mechanics tool over one as well made as the speed six is. But in the end I'm so much more physically comfortable with the Taurus and just as confident in its ability to put bullets where I need them.

I think I just needed to see this written out because as a gun guy its hard to image being in a monogamous ccw relationship even of it is for the betterment of my readiness.

Thanks for reading my incoherent ramblings. Please feel free to ridicule me for trusting my life to a Taurus or if you like reinforce my decision. :screwy:

I prefer to get it down to one system. For me that is the Glock right now. I like the point and shoot function of the Glock with no safeties. I also like the fact that I can take different guns and have the same trigger and controls. All of my Glocks have the same sights, same slide stop, and same trigger pulls. I would recommend just choosing one system which works for you.

To be fair I will be looking at buying an M&P as well to see if I like that. However I don't want to give my Glocks up.

If I were going to be carrying a 9mm in a revolver, I'd take a look at a M&P Shield 9. Light, thin, and you don't give up that extra shot.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

VIP Member
    I don't like to switch carry pieces on a daily/hourly basis either. I'm just not thst nostalgic. But, you should remember that it is a tool. You carry the right tool for the job. I try not to limit myself to just one solution.

Summer beach wear provides for fewer carry options than winter clothing and casual dress generally more than formal.

I am glad you have found what works best for you.
    *WARNING - I may or may not know what I am talking about.

Distinguished Member Array miller_man's Avatar
    Ya, I wanted to carry a CZ p-01 and did when I first started carring. The first thing I noticed I didin't like was the weight of the gun.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Since it sounds like you have decided to go with the smaller of the two...I'll take that Speed Six off your hands.

I narrowed my calibers to 9mm and 380. I recently purchased a Ruger LC9 and after running a few hundred rounds through it will probably rotate it in as my carry. The 380 will become a BUG. I was given a Taurus Tracker 357 and have found it to be a well made, reliable shooter. I think you have made your choice after much research and thought, be safe.

VIP Member
    What belt and holster are you using?
    "Preparation and mindset are everything. Allowing one's mouth to write checks that one's butt is unable or unwilling to cash is foolish."

My LCP is the one that seems to always go in my pocket. Especially this time of year I like to pocket carry, and the LCP is tough to beat in that regard. Every now and then I'll pocket a S&W Airweight, but I always go back to the LCP. I also shoot it a lot more than the airweight.

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I cannot afford to own many guns, but I would probably cry if I ever had to narrow it down to just one. I have three carry guns now- one for running, one for everyday carry, and one (A 4" Service Six, actually) that I occasionally carry in a Maxpedition Versipack.
    Note to self: The only way to win is not to play.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    I've evolved to the M&P line... just kind of happened, sometimes I think your gun picks you. :)

While I am not a Taurus fan, I can certainly understand the confidence placed in a revolver. I wouldn't worry about a 5 shot either, nothing says you have to take a low percentage shot. And if it's not a high percentage shot, you shouldn't be shooting anyway.
    kb2wji and Bad Bob like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight"
    -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    If I were going to be carrying a 9mm in a revolver, I'd take a look at a M&P Shield 9. Light, thin, and you don't give up that extra shot.
    I've tried autoloaders of all sizes and shapes, even the smaller ones like my cw9 just don't conceal along my body as well as a revolver. I also enjoy the easy unloading of a wheel gun with no bullet setback concerns

Quote Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
    Since it sounds like you have decided to go with the smaller of the two...I'll take that Speed Six off your hands.
    no chance, its too nice a gun to part with and I may revisit this subject as my equipment evolves.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    What belt and holster are you using?
    I'm about to buy an instructor belt. I have a tagua gun belt I don't like but for now box store belts I rotate out. I use a couple of pancake/scabbard holsters, a bell charter oak m&pIII and a generic leather pancake I modified by adding belt clips for IWB carry. Both holsters work very well.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    While I am not a Taurus fan, I can certainly understand the confidence placed in a revolver. I wouldn't worry about a 5 shot either, nothing says you have to take a low percentage shot. And if it's not a high percentage shot, you shouldn't be shooting anyway.
    BINGO! When we start we have all kinds of active shooter visions dancing about in our little heads. But Ive come to realize my gun is for me and my families protection alone. Ask old Zimmerman how carrying for the benefits of the community works out.

it sounds like you put a great deal of thought into your selections. good for you. if the Taurus' five shot capacity bothers you, just carry a reload or two in speedstrips or speedloaders (i'd recommend that anyway). best of luck!

I have done a similar thing since I have retired. My EDC guns have filtered to Glock 27 and S&W J frame 357 mag.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links