Headed into "Bear Country". What should I carry with me?

This is a discussion on Headed into "Bear Country". What should I carry with me? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just invite him to go get coffee and offer to p/u some danish for his sow Belle. Once he's in the front seat, insert an ...

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Like Tree97Likes

Thread: Headed into "Bear Country". What should I carry with me?

Just invite him to go get coffee and offer to p/u some danish for his sow Belle. Once he's in the front seat, insert an icepick at the base of the skull. Joe Pesci would be proud.

2. Remove Ads

My camp, hiking, fishing, ginseng digging, deer sign looking...hog leg. Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt. Loaded HOT.

Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Personally, I think shot placement is every thing and able to get back on target.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    Stick to using your head first. Carry bear spray and use it if wind gusts are below 15. Fire disrupts their normal eating habits, and this can lead to more aggressive Blackies. I'm a proponent that if you insist on a handgun, get a spray and pray pistol. 9mm is best with HP's up front and hardcast as a followup. Multiple HP's in the face will take the fight out of any aggressive bear in the lower 48. Big calibers are a waste, and all you will end up doing is flinching and getting off one shot. If you miss, then you have a fight on your hands. If you just want to discourage an aggressive blackie that is following you just hit him with glaser's. They make a nice cratering effect on the arz and should send him on his
    way.
    Are you for real? Run across some Grizzlies I have seen in ID near Yellowstone. You will be wearing that 9mm somewhere you don't want it.

I carry a Ruger Redhawk Alaskan loaded with .454 Casull.

PS Please leave the 9 at home, that will just pizz them off.
    Ed Brown Kobra 45
    Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II
    Glock 33

Stick to using your head first. Carry bear spray and use it if wind gusts are below 15. Fire disrupts their normal eating habits, and this can lead to more aggressive Blackies. I'm a proponent that if you insist on a handgun, get a spray and pray pistol. 9mm is best with HP's up front and hardcast as a followup. Multiple HP's in the face will take the fight out of any aggressive bear in the lower 48. Big calibers are a waste, and all you will end up doing is flinching and getting off one shot. If you miss, then you have a fight on your hands. If you just want to discourage an aggressive blackie that is following you just hit him with glaser's. They make a nice cratering effect on the arz and should send him on his way.
    ???????????????????
    You go with a 9mm. In might come to a surprise to you but some folks can do multiple shots with a .44 cal...as far as the spray and pray, great plan again. I choose to take aimed shots and not 'pray' I hit something. And yes, we know that it will be stressful, but that will affect your aim whether it is a .22 or a .50 cal

Stick to using your head first...
    I'm a proponent that if you insist on a handgun, get a spray and pray pistol... Big calibers are a waste...
    These are mutually exclusive statements.

Regards,
    Jim
    wmhawth likes this.

There's no lack of large bear here in Alaska. When I'm on the trails or by the streams you will find me carrying one of or some combination of these three firearms-
    Marlin 1895GS 45/70
    S&W 460V revolver
    460 Rowland XD Conversion.

The 460 Rowland is pretty minimal for pointing at a big brownie, but my 225 gr hardcast flatnose rounds move along at 1400 fps and produce 979 fl-lbs of energy so it's far better than a pointy stick!

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    A high powered rifle. Barring that, your head and some bear spray. Bring along your normal carry gun if you'd like though for protection against the much more common backwoods threat; the two legged thug.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Just carry someone slower than you.
    You people are so bad, funny as all get out but bad. And I'm envious that I didn't post it first.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Colorado allows open carry in the woods. There are no grizzly bears (officially, though a few have been spotted near Gunnison). The black bears can get somewhat large. I carried my 1911 with heavy FMJ when I lived in CO, but I would have felt a little better with a .41 or .44 mag. I didn't run into any bears, but I did see a mountain lion cross the trail about 200 yards up the trail. I never saw it again, but I am pretty certain it saw me! Rattle snakes are likely to be your biggest threat on the trails so take a walking stick!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by hinkleid View Post
    Are you for real? Run across some Grizzlies I have seen in ID near Yellowstone. You will be wearing that 9mm somewhere you don't want it.

I carry a Ruger Redhawk Alaskan loaded with .454 Casull.

PS Please leave the 9 at home, that will just pizz them off.
    Different strokes for different blokes. Two Grizzlies were struck last year as they charged with a .306. Both animals made it to their intended target and then expired. Now that's almost twice the energy of the your .454, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it also has a larger SD. Shooting a bear while hunting is totally different than trying to hit a zig zagging head bobbing up and down target in the CNS (which is the only way you are going to drop a grizzly with any handgun). You can drill it with large hardcast hot loaded ammo with a one shot hit, but if you don't hit the CNS, it's just like a long drill bit. By the time the bear realizes he's mortally wounded you've been shook like a rag doll.

Like I said, if you insist on carrying a handgun.....use something that you can knock off multiple rounds with HP. Any shot in the facial area will turn him a lot quicker than a big ol hot loaded hardcast. If you would feel more comfortable with a larger caliber then get a 45 ACP, but make sure it holds more than 7 shots.

I've been bluff charged in BC by a 500 lb Boar that stopped 10 yds from me. The spray was in my hands.

Different strokes for different blokes. Two Grizzlies were struck last year as they charged with a .306. Both animals made it to their intended target and then expired. Now that's almost twice the energy of the your .454, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it also has a larger SD. Shooting a bear while hunting is totally different than trying to hit a zig zagging head bobbing up and down target in the CNS (which is the only way you are going to drop a grizzly with any handgun). You can drill it with large hardcast hot loaded ammo with a one shot hit, but if you don't hit the CNS, it's just like a long drill bit. By the time the bear realizes he's mortally wounded you've been shook like a rag doll.

Like I said, if you insist on carrying a handgun.....use something that you can knock off multiple rounds with HP. Any shot in the facial area will turn him a lot quicker than a big ol hot loaded hardcast. If you would feel more comfortable with a larger caliber then get a 45 ACP, but make sure it holds more than 7 shots.

I've been bluff charged in BC by a 500 lb Boar that stopped 10 yds from me. The spray was in my hands.
    Just curious where you get your data. If you have anything substantial please post it. Just about every expert disagrees with you. And I am not talking about folks on this forum. I have not found anywhere that has someone recommending a 9mm over a heavy revolver caliber. A few would say if using an autoloader to us a 10mm but still recommend going with a magnum cartridge.

This is from Chuck Hawke:
    At short range a full power .357 Magnum loaded with 158 grain (SD .177) to 180 grain (SD .202) bullets should suffice, since the target is the animal's central nervous system. Even one of the great bears can be stopped at close range if the shooter can deliver a .357 bullet to the brain. The biggest advantage of the .357 is that most shooters can shoot it more accurately than the bigger magnums. The brain or spinal cord of even a large bear (the biggest of the big predators) is a small target, requiring precise bullet placement. "Spray and pray" won't get the job done, regardless of bullet diameter and energy.
    There are many more references. Where are yours?

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Just curious where you get your data. If you have anything substantial please post it. Just about every expert disagrees with you. And I am not talking about folks on this forum. I have not found anywhere that has someone recommending a 9mm over a heavy revolver caliber. A few would say if using an autoloader to us a 10mm but still recommend going with a magnum cartridge.

This is from Chuck Hawke:

There are many more references. Where are yours?
    I didn't know I needed references to have an opinion. If you feel comfortable that you can shoot a handgun once and absorb the recoil then get your 44 back on a target that is zig zagging and bobbing up and down from 50 yds, then go for it. I like my chances of turning that bear with multiple 9mm or 45 ACP HP's. It's not about who's got the most powerful handgun, it's about dropping the bear with a CNS shot or turning him. As I said, to each his own. With handguns you are either a hero or a zero. Get some spray if the weather allows you to use it. If not use your head and lessen your chances of an encounter.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    There is (or was) a fishing guide that lived in Fairbanks when I was stationed there, and one of my hunting/fishing partners (former SF type) went to his home. The guide was down on a river, told the several clients where to go and NOT to go along the river, sure nuff, one of the guys promptly went where the guide told him NOT to go and as the guide came down the river to check the client was being charged by an angry Grizz. The guide fired all six shots from his .44 mag. All six shots struck the skull frontal area and only the sixth round finally penetrated, dropping the grizz right at the clients feet (I bet the client had to go wash his drawers out).

Fish and Game let the guide keep the skull---my hunting/fishing partner saw the skull all cleaned up--five of the six rounds were embedded in the skull without penetrating.

Another story from the Kenai area about 10 years ago or so--my best friend who still lives in Fairbanks sent me the news article--guy out moose hunting, with .30-'06--hears a noise, sees a grizz charging him, he gets off a quick shot with the rifle and hears it hit the bear, bear makes it to him, mauls him, grabs him by the face and stands up, the dude has the presence of mind to pull his .44 mag from his holster and puts 5 rounds into the grizz's chest from contact distance. The bear drops him and runs off. The guy staggers out to a road, gets taken to town and stitched up. Fish and game goes out to located the bear (wouldn't you love to go after a wounded mad grizz???). Anyway, they find the place--turns out the hunter had unknowningly been standing on top of the grizz's covered moose kill, they found his rifle, bits of clothing, etc, but they never found the bear. Nobody knows whether it lived or died, but it had the strength to at least move off far enough to never be found after taking 1 '06 round and 5 .44 mag slugs to the chest.........

You wanna carry a handgun, go right ahead...........
    hinkleid and multistage like this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

sgb
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Links