Headed into "Bear Country". What should I carry with me?

This is a discussion on Headed into "Bear Country". What should I carry with me? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott You wanna carry a handgun, go right ahead........... I don't think anyone is kidding themselves on that any handgun will ...

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
Like Tree97Likes

Thread: Headed into "Bear Country". What should I carry with me?

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    You wanna carry a handgun, go right ahead...........
    I don't think anyone is kidding themselves on that any handgun will gaurentee success against a grizzly (maybe a NH black bear). The discussion is what gives you the better odds?

I favor aimed shots over spray and pray with a magnum round. If his theory about the recoil of a revolver is true for most people and they can't aim accurately for follow up shots then that is spray and pray anyway. So I still don't see his logic on that point. Spray and pray with a 9mm or with a .44 or .357 mag?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I don't think anyone is kidding themselves on that any handgun will gaurentee success against a grizzly (maybe a NH black bear). The discussion is what gives you the better odds?

I favor aimed shots over spray and pray with a magnum round. If his theory about the recoil of a revolver is true for most people and they can't aim accurately for follow up shots then that is spray and pray anyway. So I still don't see his logic on that point. Spray and pray with a 9mm or with a .44 or .357 mag?
    Suntzu: Yes I understand what you are saying, I'm not trying to be a naysayer here regarding handguns--I just wanted to interject a little reality from actual occurances that I am familiar with into the discussion mix. I also realize that just like caliber wars/discussions, we all have our personal preferences, and that is certainly OK and normal. I know that my examples come from Alaska and not Colorado where the OP is going hiking/camping, but sometimes, even normally timid and evasive black bears kill people--and eat them. Carry enough gun to do the job right!! Of course that "enough gun" is what all the discussion is about isn't it??
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Guys he is coming to Colorado not Alaska or Montana. He will not need all that heavy iron. We from Colorado have given him good advice. The bears here are not indestructible. They run most of the time when encountered. Mountian lions are probably a bigger danger because they will stalk you if they think you are a good choice for food.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

MountianPacker, You and I have simalar tastes. I like my 629 and carry it alot. Especially when hunting. It packs real nice. I use a Uncle Mike's holster because I usually wind up in snow or rain. I don't have to worry about leather rotting or cracking.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

Quote Originally Posted by BkCo1 View Post
    Guys he is coming to Colorado not Alaska or Montana. He will not need all that heavy iron. We from Colorado have given him good advice. The bears here are not indestructible. They run most of the time when encountered. Mountian lions are probably a bigger danger because they will stalk you if they think you are a good choice for food.
    Took the words out of my mouth. I don't plan on running into browns or grizzlies. But like I said, mountain lions terrify me.

God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by indykid View Post
    Took the words out of my mouth. I don't plan on running into browns or grizzlies. But like I said, mountain lions terrify me.

God Bless
    Just be careful when hiking near any area where there has been fires. Blackie's can become quite aggressive when their natural food sources have been removed. If a mountain lion is stalking you will never see it till it's too late, but they generally hunt at night unless desperate. If hiking alone, don't be too proud to throw on a helmet. Don't use a bike helmet with air vents, get a good solid climbing helmet. We tend to wear helmets for skate boarding, biking, and sports but find them somehow un-manly when hiking in the wilderness.

Here's a video I love to refer to of a charging sow with a cub. Notice how her ears are up....usually a sign she is bluff charging. None the less, it gives you an idea of how difficult it is to hit the CNS under extreme duress. This guy said he was trying to miss her, but I have my doubts. I would never allow a bear to get that close without trying for a hit. Sows with cubs are a nightmare. Notice how the cub followed. Many times you will see a sow with 2 full grown cubs and you better hope you can leave the area without a charge. There is another video called Bow Hunters Grizzly Charge that shows a sow coming after 2 guys in a raft with her ears pinned back. Both of these incidents are lucky the bear was turned by the shot. Many people are not that lucky.

Grizzly charge captured by B.C. filmmaker.mp4 - YouTube

Please read the DOW reference on lions - for adults you have little to worry about in all honesty. You could live out here for 25 years and never see or hear one.

This is all you need: Living with Wildlife in Lion Country*

Come, enjoy, relax and have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by indykid View Post
    Headed to bear country for some hiking in Colorado and have my carry permit all squared away so I'm planning on getting something with some serious firepower to tote along. I already have a three guns in mind but would love to hear some suggestions. Gun/Holster combo with pics if possible. Thanks everyone.

God Bless
    Bring a hiking partner, preferably one slower than you. Let him carry the bacon.

When I lived in Denver and camped in the mountains, the biggest threat I ever encountered were the two legged variety......and one big ass Moose that nearly trampled
    me while I was sleeping....He saw me coming out of my tent and hauled the opposite direction.

I would carry:
    Glock 19 9mm for the two legged variety
    Glock 29SF 10mm for everything else
    ....and a large bore rifle loaded with your favorite round.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by BkCo1 View Post

Couldn't agree more! Much more worried about lions than bears. I ran into a lion last summer at night. But since there is a one in billion chance I might stumble into Colorado's last Grizz! I think that justifies that new 629 I have been yearning for

I think my 357 or a 45 is more than adequate for a Lion. I actually saw someone bring one down with a 45 out of a tree.
    wmhawth likes this.

Distinguished Member Array old grunt's Avatar
    NO real experience....but have read a bit about what people in AK carry in Grizzly country. Most like a 12ga with slugs and OO buck or a hard hitting rifle like a Marlin in 45-70. A handgun is a weapon of last-resort with BIG animals like this!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

I bought a Glock 20SF to have as a back up to my .270 while hunting white tail deer. The 20SF is in case I startle a big backie. A 450 pounder was nailed w/ a bow last year. Usually black bear in my area are only about 250.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

That would be a Marlin Guide Gun in 45/70
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Please read the DOW reference on lions - for adults you have little to worry about in all honesty. You could live out here for 25 years and never see or hear one.

This is all you need: Living with Wildlife in Lion Country

Come, enjoy, relax and have fun!
    Very helpful site! Thank you!

God Bless

Sponsor

Lightbulb

Flash Bangs work GREAT, too...seriously.
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Links